Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Way too early for Steele.

Other BE coaches have NCAA tourney experience. I think Cooley is a great coach. Today, Steele is 6-7th.
    Cooley has 1 career NCAA tourney win. He is a good coach but overrated. He has a great personality. He is great in the BE tourney. Providence has had way too much talent over the last several years to only have one tourney win. They also were picked 3rd I believe in the conference this year.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Couple of notes here looking at this list, BE coaches overall are pretty meh. There is 1 elite coach and 2-3 above average coaches. Mack struggled against all of them:

Wright 1-10
    Mcdermott 6-6
    Cooley 6-5
    Williard 5-6

This is one of the reasons why I don't think Mack is all that great, and why I think he is never going to ascend to the top 4 in the ACC. ACC has at least 4 Elite coaches, and without looking probably 3-4 additional above average coaches.

Another note here is that due to the BE coaches overall being meh, is why I think Steele can ascend quickly to a top 3 coach in the league. Add in his recruiting prowess, and I think he is going to make us forget about ill fitting suit man rather quickly.

Every coach on that list has had success at that school, at least to some degree. Leitao inherited a mess, but has managed to improve DePaul to at least the point of being competitive in the BE. I'm not fan of Mullin's coaching, but he also has improved the team every year.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    Every coach on that list has had success at that school, at least to some degree. Leitao inherited a mess, but has managed to improve DePaul to at least the point of being competitive in the BE. I'm not fan of Mullin's coaching, but he also has improved the team every year.
    I guess that depends on what you mean by success.

Wojo has 1 tourney win in 4 seasons
    Willard 1 tourney win in 9 seasons
    Cooley has 1 tourney win in 8 seasons
    Mcdermott 3 tourney wins in 9 seasons...never been to the second weekend
    Mullin haha
    Leitao haha
    Jordan too early but doesn't look good
    Ewing too early but looks potentially promising
    Wright is a stud

For a bunch of these guys, there is still a lot of time....Wojo may be beginning to develop in a good coach, Ewing might turn out to be a great one. Guys like Willard, Mcdermott and Cooley to me are what they are (above averagish coaches)

I'm sure if I delved into the other 5 big conferences, I probably would find similar results but maybe not. I guess my point is: the door is ajar for Steele.

Leitao has had success at DePaul. It's just that it was almost all in his first tenure there, when his team won the famous pillow fight over Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Cooley has 1 career NCAA tourney win. He is a good coach but overrated. He has a great personality. He is great in the BE tourney. Providence has had way too much talent over the last several years to only have one tourney win. They also were picked 3rd I believe in the conference this year.
    I agree he doesn't have the resume, but there's not many coaches in the BE I'd rather have than him. He always gets talent and his players absolutely love him. I think it's gonna click in a big way someday. Just don't know when that is.

Providence had the 21st rated recruiting class in 2017 and 2018 and still managed a tie for last place in conference this year. Since we have 20th in 2019 and we get a top 25 in 2020, I don’t think we are going to say Steele is even a decent coach if we finish last in place in Big East during 2020-21 season.

However do think Cooley is a good guy

Didn't Cooley get sent to play North Carolina in the Carolinas twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I guess that depends on what you mean by success.

Wojo has 1 tourney win in 4 seasons
    Willard 1 tourney win in 9 seasons
    Cooley has 1 tourney win in 8 seasons
    Mcdermott 3 tourney wins in 9 seasons...never been to the second weekend
    Mullin haha
    Leitao haha
    Jordan too early but doesn't look good
    Ewing too early but looks potentially promising
    Wright is a stud

For a bunch of these guys, there is still a lot of time....Wojo may be beginning to develop in a good coach, Ewing might turn out to be a great one. Guys like Willard, Mcdermott and Cooley to me are what they are (above averagish coaches)

I'm sure if I delved into the other 5 big conferences, I probably would find similar results but maybe not. I guess my point is: the door is ajar for Steele.
    I don't define success based strictly on NCAA tourney wins, although that is a big component in my book. I think X had a very successful season last year in getting the #1 seed, despite losing in the second round.

Fuck Mack! Suit then Steele, the rest suck.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield