Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I might switch Smart and Cooley. I think Cooley got extremely lucky with a bunch of super seniors, where Smart was starting from scratch, with a bunch of rookies. I know everyone loves Cooley, but once again he had a tough NCAA, considering his regular season.
    I have always thought Cooley got overrated a bit bc of his great personality and bc he usually has good regular seasons and BE tourneys. I don't get, however, your comment about his tough NCAA tourney this year. They made it exactly as far as they were expected, and he finally got a Sweet 16 appearance. If anything his year this year and his tourney run, finally winning a couple, elevated him in my eyes.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Just was talking about this with some friends and thought it would be interesting discussion. How would you rank the coaches from 1-10 in the Big East. I would rank them as follows:

1. Wright
    2. Willard
    3. McDermott
    4. Steele
    5. Cooley
    6. Wojo
    7. Ewing
    8. Jordan
    9. Leitao
    10. Mullin

#1 is obvious. I also feel comfortable about #'s 7-10. 2-6 I could probably be convinced to rearrange. I am obviously biased about Steele and maybe he hasnt earned #4. I think Cooley gets overrated. Providence was supposed to be a lot better this year and they never do anything in the tourney. Wojo is having his first good year really.

Thoughts?
    6 of the 10 coaches from this list 3 years ago are now no longer in the BE. Only 1 left on his own accord for another job. I was way off on Steele!

Although, Xville had Steele and Ewing #3 and #4! (Had to throw someone else under the bus besides myself, ha!)

The BE schools have done a great job of upgrading the coaching talent in the league, should but a fun few years coming up!
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I have always thought Cooley got overrated a bit bc of his great personality and bc he usually has good regular seasons and BE tourneys. I don't get, however, your comment about his tough NCAA tourney this year. They made it exactly as far as they were expected, and he finally got a Sweet 16 appearance. If anything his year this year and his tourney run, finally winning a couple, elevated him in my eyes.
    I love Ed Cooley. He’s a fine coach and a great human being. I think that some of his past Tournament issues were from not *quite* having a complete team ex: Had Watson but David Dukes was his PG. And maybe his emphasis on wanting to win the Big East Tournament wore his team out for the Dance? But I agree that they achieved exactly their level this year.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Hmm, doubt their amenities are the best, they might be after Matta asks for an upgrade. They do everything on the cheap.
    Correct. Butler doesn’t even have a practice gym or a separate weight room. They have little money and Matta is probably coaching for chump change as a favor to his ex teammate & neighbor Collier.
    A 2 year bridge to someone else and to excite the Hinkle cretins to spend their Hay money on.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Correct. Butler doesn’t even have a practice gym or a separate weight room. They have little money and Matta is probably coaching for chump change as a favor to his ex teammate & neighbor Collier.
    A 2 year bridge to someone else and to excite the Hinkle cretins to spend their Hay money on.
    This is spot on.

They are at the bottom of the BE athletic budget food chain. Zeppelin Hanger capacity cut to 9k and no private suites. Plus their attendance numbers can be problematic at times.

What they pulled off was extraordinary: Horizon to A10 to BE. They should name their court Brad Stevens Court.
    X A V I E R

I can't imagine Odom joining Wilcher in Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    I can't imagine Odom joining Wilcher in Nebraska
    I could see him in Minnesota with Ben Johnson tho

How bout now

7/10 coaches from 3 years ago not in the BE anymore. Wild.

Matta and Miller have to be either 1 or 2 now imo.

7/10 coaches from 3 years ago not in the BE anymore. Wild.

Matta and Miller have to be either 1 or 2 now imo.
    Funny, I was trying to add the 3. Can’t believe one of them is Ewing!