Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Butler Way

LaVall is a shitty coach and doesn't recruit well. Other than that, I think they were a great addition to the BE but need a coach upgrade.
    2023 Sweet 16

Junior
    Tough to go through that level of a coaching change. I think holtman was one of the better coaches in the BE and don't think this new guy will be great. Still can't believe they will keep us out of an at large bid.

Butler has been pretty solid in the BE though, as others have mentioned- I would be happy if some of the other schools had that level of tournament success.

This thread really isn't about what Butler has done in the Big East up until now. It isn't about whether or not Butler was the right addition or a great addition to the Big East when it reformed. Butler had earned the right to be included in the reformed BE.

Understanding and respecting that the key ingredient to success is a strong coach/coaching staff, it is a fact that a coaching staff still wants to be able to sell a program based on its facilities and amenities and tradition, etc.

We are five years in and some major investments have been made by some of our programs. Butler seems to be constrained when it comes to financial resources for its athletic department. It'll be interesting to see how they move forward from here. Especially given that LaVall seems to be having difficulties and the fans are getting restless over there.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Stevens was a coaching savant. Holtmann did well but is having a tough time now at OSU. Jordan was a bargain pick. While the rest of the Big East shops at Macys, Butler shops at Walmart. I think it irks the rest of the league that they do everything on the cheap. It is starting to catch up with them. Now that Miller is at IU, Butler is stuck with leftovers. You seldom hear about any recruiting trips. I think they still rent a car, grab a map, and roam around rural Indiana. That's one reason they never have good centers. They do continue to get good press here in Indy, where they are still looked upon as the cute Little Engine that could. But no real threat to IU or Purdue.
    How dare you talk about Walmart like that.

Butler is not recruiting at a high enough level ....IMHO

Next years class as far as rankings go, is very low again.

They need to figure that one out if they are going to continue to be relevant

I fully expect them to occupy the basement of the conference going forward. Lavall can't recruit at this level, they have the worst facilities, and they have the lowest budget in the big east. That's catching up to them quickly. You can survive that with an elite coach, but they no longer have that.

Quote Originally Posted by XMuskieFTW View Post
    I fully expect them to occupy the basement of the conference going forward. Lavall can't recruit at this level, they have the worst facilities, and they have the lowest budget in the big east. That's catching up to them quickly. You can survive that with an elite coach, but they no longer have that.
    You stuck the landing. The point of the thread, other than pointing out that Butler fans are stupid and douchy when it comes to their perceptions of Xavier's program.
    X A V I E R

Fair enough, but I'm pretty sure people made the same claims 6 years ago, and Butler has done just fine. I suspect they will not be the worst or even the second worst program in the league over the next decade (I don't expect them to be a top half program either).

For those who think Butler is just fine, I suggest you consider the investing adage that past results arent necessarily an indication of future performance. Butler has had 2 HC changes and fail to invest in their facilities, all while moving up into greater competition. If we said that about a company that changed CEOs twice in five years and fell behind their competitors after moving into a higher product, we couldn’t sell that stock fast enough. Butler is clearly a sell stock today and nothing in the near or mid term future indicates any reason to think otherwise.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Stevens was a coaching savant. Holtmann did well but is having a tough time now at OSU. Jordan was a bargain pick. While the rest of the Big East shops at Macys, Butler shops at Walmart. I think it irks the rest of the league that they do everything on the cheap. It is starting to catch up with them. Now that Miller is at IU, Butler is stuck with leftovers. You seldom hear about any recruiting trips. I think they still rent a car, grab a map, and roam around rural Indiana. That's one reason they never have good centers. They do continue to get good press here in Indy, where they are still looked upon as the cute Little Engine that could. But no real threat to IU or Purdue.
    Xavier wanted Joey Brunk