Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Butler Way

The Butler Way

Jorgensen acting like a jerk in our game at Hinkle.

McDermott hooking a few minutes ago in MSG.

I honestly believed that Butler was at some risk when they accepted their BE invitation. Companies sometime grow too fast. Basketball programs can maybe do that, too. The Little Engine That Could rode Stevens to 2 NC games, but that was, shall we call it fortunate.

The Horizon to the A10 (only 1 year at that) to the BE is a serious climb.

Butler had to upgrade Hinkle, as it was falling apart. They continue to carry men's football. I don't think they have enough financial backing to improve upon their player facilities, etc., other than what they have done to this point, which does not compare to other teams in the conference.

A post from one of their fans:

I was SO AFRAID this would happen when Butler joined the Big East. We can't get top Indiana talent. We bring in guys who are projects, who have serious deficiencies in their games. If we recruit the east coast, can't see getting a kid that is a target of 'Nova, St. John's or Providence. I don't know the answer. How DOES Butler catch up?

--------

They got their asses kicked tonight and I found that to be rather enjoyable. Now the Buthead fans are behaving rather poorly. Given their stupid drivel about Xavier's program, may the Butler program be looking up to DePaul very soon.
    X A V I E R

Butler's overmatched in the BE. I knew from the day they were chosen that would be the case. Stevens and Holtmann both had success there with decent talent in a lousy conference. Going to the F4 was a mirage, (hell George Mason made it to the F4 once). But the timing was perfect and this illusion created a curiosity that led to them being invited to the new BE and it also created an inroad for the BE to tap the Indy market. Well, they and DePaul can fight it out for the BE basement in perpetuity.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Looks to me like they've been in the NCAA Tournament five of the last six years. Seems to me they're doing just fine in the Big East. I suspect they'll continue at a relatively similar clip.

Make them convert to Catholicism of kick them out
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Looks to me like they've been in the NCAA Tournament five of the last six years. Seems to me they're doing just fine in the Big East. I suspect they'll continue at a relatively similar clip.
    With 1 sweet sixteen and no first round exits.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    With 1 sweet sixteen and no first round exits.
    Was LaVall responsible for those results?

I mean, the Butler faithful are mostly going nuts about the issues with their current coaching staff. The view is forward looking, not backward looking at past results under different circumstances.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Was LaVall responsible for those results?

I mean, the Butler faithful are mostly going nuts about the issues with their current coaching staff. The view is forward looking, not backward looking at past results under different circumstances.
    Ok he went to the NCAA tournament in his first year and made it to the 2nd round. They beat Arkansas (as a 10 seed over a 7) and lost in the next round to 2 seed Purdue.

I hate Butler as much as I hate UC. And I'm sure this season is disappointing to their fans but I don't get the huge freak out about them right now.

I guess I would freak out about their poor performance in the Big East tournament since they joined.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Ok he went to the NCAA tournament in his first year and made it to the 2nd round. They beat Arkansas (as a 10 seed over a 7) and lost in the next round to 2 seed Purdue.

I hate Butler as much as I hate UC. And I'm sure this season is disappointing to their fans but I don't get the huge freak out about them right now.

I guess I would freak out about their poor performance in the Big East tournament since they joined.
    Stevens was a coaching savant. Holtmann did well but is having a tough time now at OSU. Jordan was a bargain pick. While the rest of the Big East shops at Macys, Butler shops at Walmart. I think it irks the rest of the league that they do everything on the cheap. It is starting to catch up with them. Now that Miller is at IU, Butler is stuck with leftovers. You seldom hear about any recruiting trips. I think they still rent a car, grab a map, and roam around rural Indiana. That's one reason they never have good centers. They do continue to get good press here in Indy, where they are still looked upon as the cute Little Engine that could. But no real threat to IU or Purdue.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Stevens was a coaching savant. Holtmann did well but is having a tough time now at OSU. Jordan was a bargain pick. While the rest of the Big East shops at Macys, Butler shops at Walmart. I think it irks the rest of the league that they do everything on the cheap. It is starting to catch up with them. Now that Miller is at IU, Butler is stuck with leftovers. You seldom hear about any recruiting trips. I think they still rent a car, grab a map, and roam around rural Indiana. That's one reason they never have good centers. They do continue to get good press here in Indy, where they are still looked upon as the cute Little Engine that could. But no real threat to IU or Purdue.
    Exactly. Add to that:

1. Marquette's new NBA digs.

2. Georgetown's new athlete facility.

3. Ditto Providence.

4. Nova's renovated Pavilion and athletic facility.

5. DePaul's new home.

6. Xavier putting $25 more million into the Cintas Center.

Forward looking.

Ewing at Georgetown.

I believe we are going to excel with Travis.

Butler seems like it is still Huckleberry Central, and it may very well dink towards the bottom of the BE.
    X A V I E R

Junior
    Guys this is really simple ... BUCK FUTLER.

That is all.
    Xavier is THE University of Cincinnati