Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

Championship Week 2019

The first automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament gets handed out tonight with the OVC Championship; Belmont plays Murray State for the championship tonight at 8 PM. There is a small chance the OVC gets two bids should Murray State win a close game, but Murray State is all but certain to go to the NIT should Belmont win tonight.

Glad to see Murray State win last night, but Ja Morant got every call down the stretch yesterday. Needed them too in order to eek out a win.

He's going to be great in the NBA, by the way. He had something like 7 assists and 7 turnovers last night, but if his teammates didn't mostly suck it would have been more like 15 assists and two turnovers.

Today's Championship Week Action:

Gardner-Webb at Radford (Big South) - 1 PM, ESPN
    Bradley vs. Northern Iowa (Missouri Valley) - 2 PM, CBS
    Liberty at Lipscomb (Atlantic Sun) - 3 PM, ESPN

Lipscomb isn't quite the threat to get in as an at-large that Belmont is, but suffice it to say that everyone on the bubble better be pulling for Lipscomb today.

That Missouri Valley winner is at beat a 15 seed. Brutal year for that league, and their two best teams lost yesterday.

NIT is filling up. Belmont (probably), Loyola (IL), South Dakota State, Lipscomb, Radford.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 03-10-2019 at 04:08 PM.

Belmont might still get in - one of their starters missed the championship game against Murray State last night.

They are by no means a lock like Buffalo or Wofford to get in, however.

Looks like Dean Wade is going to miss the Big XII Tournament with a sore foot. Poor guy can't catch a break. Hopefully K-State is just resting him this week so that he can be healthy for the NCAA Tournament. And hopefully some nice K-State grad here in Kansas will give Wade a nice desk job next fall to make up for all the money he should have made in professional basketball if his body had cooperated.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Glad to see Murray State win last night, but Ja Morant got every call down the stretch yesterday. Needed them too in order to eek out a win.

He's going to be great in the NBA, by the way. He had something like 7 assists and 7 turnovers last night, but if his teammates didn't mostly suck it would have been more like 15 assists and two turnovers.
    don't get me wrong he's very good, but the hype is a little much imo. he relies a lot on athleticism and that works in the ovc, but that advantage lessens as you step up competitively

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    don't get me wrong he's very good, but the hype is a little much imo. he relies a lot on athleticism and that works in the ovc, but that advantage lessens as you step up competitively
    If you just concentrate on his passing, you'll see why (along with that freakish athleticism) he's ranked so high. Unfortunately for him, a lot of his teammates are not talented enough to take advantage of his amazing passing ability.

I would note that I'm fairly certain most Alabama fans would tell you the most awe-inspiring play by a Tide opponent this year was the Morant dunk near the end of the Murray State/Alabama game. That athleticism plays in any league.

My biggest reservation on him right now would be on the defensive end. He didn't seem to expend much energy on that end.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 03-11-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    NIT is filling up. Belmont (probably), Loyola (IL), South Dakota State, Lipscomb, Radford.
    If Xavier goes to the NIT and plays Loyola, my family will explode. There's gonna be lots of tickets in some form somewhere.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell