Sixteen-year-old commits to Gonzaga/Enrolls this summer

This is nuts. Are there age minimums for college hoops?

From ESPN:

Top international prospect Oumar Ballo has committed to Gonzaga, a source told ESPN.

A 6-foot-10 Malian center with a 7-6 wingspan, Ballo averaged 21 points and 17 rebounds at the FIBA Under-17 World Cup in Argentina last summer. He is only 16 but will enroll this summer as a 2019 recruit.

Ballo plays at the NBA Academy Latin America in Mexico City. He took part in the Basketball Without Borders Global Camp at NBA All-Star Weekend in Charlotte, North Carolina, last weekend as one of youngest participants.

Ballo came to the attention of NBA scouts and college coaches two years ago with a dominant performance at the FIBA U16 African Championship. He averaged 14 points and 13 rebounds in just 21 minutes per game despite having turned 15 just days before the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    This is nuts. Are there age minimums for college hoops?
    Nope. Not even for college football. Louisville had a kid STARTING for them in football at 15. On a really good team. He stayed four years and was in the NFL by 19.

He's going to be a long way from Bamako.

For someone that young I hope they can allow a support system to live with him. I'm guessing English and classes could be a challenge. Man, at his age, especially with living internationally already, I wonder what kind of schooling he's had that might have him meet requirements?

I studied abroad in college and happened to be assigned a roommate who was just turning 16 while we were there. Young genius type, I guess. He mostly stayed to himself and read books. Everyone tried to include him in social activities but he really struggled to click with people. May be different here with hoops as a common thing.

I mean his freshman year he'll only be like 4 months younger than Markus Howard was as a freshman. If he's good enough in school to graduate early and good enough at basketball why not?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
    He's going to be a long way from Bamako.

For someone that young I hope they can allow a support system to live with him. I'm guessing English and classes could be a challenge. Man, at his age, especially with living internationally already, I wonder what kind of schooling he's had that might have him meet requirements?

I studied abroad in college and happened to be assigned a roommate who was just turning 16 while we were there. Young genius type, I guess. He mostly stayed to himself and read books. Everyone tried to include him in social activities but he really struggled to click with people. May be different here with hoops as a common thing.
    More often than not, when I've read about international students they seem to be surprised at how fewer courses are required in this country versus what is required of them back home.

If Ballo is ready and Gonzaga feels he can succeed in class and on the court, best of luck to him.