Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar

Cutting the Cord

With triplets on the way and trying to save some costs my wife and I are now seriously considering cutting the cord. We currently have DirecTV (mostly so I can get NFL ticket and because I hate TWC or whoever they are now) and I like ti DirecTV other than the cost. One thing that had always held me back was live sports but it looks like that isn't a problem like it maybe once was.

The thing I think we are looking the most at is Playstation Vue. It looks like their Core package has everything we would want and need for $49.99, other than HBO which I may just bum from my parents. It has FS1 and FS2 and ESPN etc. I guess you can DVR unlimited shows as well?

Does anyone has PS Vue? Do you like it? Any negatives? Is there something else I should get instead? I'd prefer not to have to get like 3 or 4 different subscriptions to different things to get all the content I want so even if PS Vue is a little more than something else but it is all in one spot I would probably go with it.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Well I am looking at Hulu Live now too. PS Vue I found out I cant get right off my smart TV. Would have to get a roku I guess. Opinions on Hulu live as well?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I have nothing to offer by way of TV info, but plenty of prayers for triplets on the way!

I recently sent my sister (dealing with a husband with multiple serious health issues) a kitchen towel that said “They say God only gives you what you can handle. Apparently God thinks I’m a BadAss!”

Enjoy your blessing!

I have Hulu and it suits me just fine. I can watch every X game, which obviously was the most important criteria for me. I pay $39.99 a month, way less than the $140-160 a month we were paying for DirecTV.

The user interface is not the greatest, imo, but you do get DVR storage. There isn't a traditional tv guide menu.

I've heard YouTube TV is pretty good, but they don't offer it in our area. Between Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, we can watch just about anything we want, and it's still cheaper than cable.

And congrats on the triplets. That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I have Hulu and it suits me just fine. I can watch every X game, which obviously was the most important criteria for me. I pay $39.99 a month, way less than the $140-160 a month we were paying for DirecTV.

The user interface is not the greatest, imo, but you do get DVR storage. There isn't a traditional tv guide menu.

I've heard YouTube TV is pretty good, but they don't offer it in our area. Between Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, we can watch just about anything we want, and it's still cheaper than cable.

Two questions about Hulu live. I put it our zip code, 45242, and saw the channels available and for some reason it isnt showing CBS local as one of the channels. Are you in cincy? Is it really not available?

Also how many shows can you DVR at once? Is the DVR space good size?

On their website it says starting 2/26 its going up to $44.99/month, not a big deal but not the $10 cheaper than Vue I thought I might be getting.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I have nothing to offer by way of TV info, but plenty of prayers for triplets on the way!

I recently sent my sister (dealing with a husband with multiple serious health issues) a kitchen towel that said “They say God only gives you what you can handle. Apparently God thinks I’m a BadAss!”

Enjoy your blessing!
    Thank you! Pray for us! We will have 4 three and under, yikes!

Happy with my Dish Flex. Choose your channels. Everything I want to watch for about 62 a month, altho I forgot to add CBSSN.
    2023 Sweet 16

Looking at DirecTV Now also and now YouTube TV as well.

Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post

Guessing you arent in cincy then? Just looked up youtube tv and looks like I can get it. Looks like a good option thanks for mentioning it.

Tried Sling and Vue and now subscribe to YouTubeTV.

I have enjoyed everything about YouTubeTV much more than the other two. The interface is faster/easier to search an navigate. But the big bonus is I can record everything in their base price. Sling and Vue had so many different levels and this YT now has every station I can want for college basketball. The subscription also allows you to use other online programming that requires a pay TV subscription like Watch ESPN or ABC.

I work weird hours all the time, so I like to record the games and watch later. You can zip through commercial breaks easily and even if you are bored, you can speed up the video on a fully recorded program, just like on normal YT.

I only subscribe to this during college hoops and NBA season. I could watch the Reds, but I'm not enough of a fan to bother to spend that. I also stopped watching the NFL. I find streams for UC football games. I get all my other programs on demand through Netflix and Amazon.

I wish it was cheaper honestly, but I can't complain as it's much less than cable was for the same channels and I do everything the same.