12 14.46%
  • NIT IS FOR DAYTON AND LESSER SCHOOLS

18 21.69%
  • THIS YEAR ONLY

36 43.37%
  • ANY X BASKETBALL IS GOOD 🏀

17 20.48%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I would rather the NIT than nothing. Those other lower tournaments aren't worth it financially for the program.

Point in time answer....

No, I would not be happy. Because i believe, and it's debatable, that we could get real consdieration for an at-large if we win out conference and take a game or 2 in the BET. And before anyone reacts, please note that I said we'd get CONSIDERATION, which is much different than saying we'd get a bid.

If we lose one more conference game, then we're out of at-large consideration and I would take an NIT bid and hope they do their best.

What I'm really hoping AGAINST is that we DONT get an NIT invite, which means we likely stumbled at the end.

Freshman
    NIT ok for sure. Watching more games is entertaining. A chance for another Cintas game would be nice. I also remember us beating Ohio St in NIT & being ecstatic. A chance for another NIT Title also. I also think 9-9 in our league including a Nova victory, plus 1 BE Tourney win might punch our ticket. There are always weak teams getting 11 or 12 seeds

I just love watching X basketball and voted as such. Yea NIT is not desirable but gaining coaching experience in tournament play will help Steele and team.

Unfortunately I even took a look at NIT bracketology...Gosh I’m such a loser.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    I just love watching X basketball and voted as such. Yea NIT is not desirable but gaining coaching experience in tournament play will help Steele and team.

Unfortunately I even took a look at NIT bracketology...Gosh I’m such a loser.
    You're a FAN, not a LOSER.
    X A V I E R

Sophomore
    No, the NIT would not make me happy whatsoever. But I would watch, I would cheer for us to win, and I’d be pissed if we didn’t. To be honest, once it started, I’d probably find myself lying awake at night thinking about how the brackets could play out to break in our favor. On second thought, better ask me after we’ve cut down the nets at MSG.

The NIT would mean we finished the year with a winning record which would be huge considering who we have left on our schedule. So, yes I would be happy. The other options would be no invite which would mean we either shit the bed.......or, continued the run and got at auto or at large

I'd be happy with the NIT this year only, especially because during the 6 game losing streak it seemed plausible we could lose out. We were playing some bad basketball, but the guys have gotten it sorted out a little, and found ways to win games. The NIT would mean extra practices to allow our players to develop, more court time against decent opponents, and it would help Steele have more time to work on in-game adjustments and running practices. For this year, the NIT would be great, unless of course we go on The Run Part Deaux and get into the NCAAs.

Best way I can describe it is to say that I could live with it, but I wouldn’t love it. I don’t think that anybody would be “happy” about it though. I’m sure that (unlike many many years ago) the NIT wasn’t a part of the team goals at the beginning of the season. But realistically, it’s probably about where this year’s team should end up. We all (or 99% of us) thought that the returners would take a big step forward in their careers and that the incoming players would all be solid and valuable contributors. These things have happened at times and to some degree, but it hasn’t been consistent nor to the level of expectations. Not complaining, just being realistic. This team isn’t as good as we all thought, or at least hoped, it would be. But if they can play well enough in their last 4-7 games this year to get an NIT bid, it will mean that they didn’t quit.....and THAT is something to build upon.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Best way I can describe it is to say that I could live with it, but I wouldn’t love it. I don’t think that anybody would be “happy” about it though. I’m sure that (unlike many many years ago) the NIT wasn’t a part of the team goals at the beginning of the season. But realistically, it’s probably about where this year’s team should end up. We all (or 99% of us) thought that the returners would take a big step forward in their careers and that the incoming players would all be solid and valuable contributors. These things have happened at times and to some degree, but it hasn’t been consistent nor to the level of expectations. Not complaining, just being realistic. This team isn’t as good as we all thought, or at least hoped, it would be. But if they can play well enough in their last 4-7 games this year to get an NIT bid, it will mean that they didn’t quit.....and THAT is something to build upon.
    And that Coach Steele found his footing and is set for a solid future. Footing that was found under very difficult transitional circumstances.
    X A V I E R