Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    If you arent talking about BYU do not even talk about fun teams!
    I still can't believe Brandon Davies (was that his name?) the PF was kicked off the team Jimmer's senior year right before NCAA's for having consentual sex with his girlfriend, they truly are sticklers for rules, guy was averaging like 15 ppg at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by kmcrawfo View Post
    If Xavier wins out in Big East play to finish 10-8 and 3rd in the conference with a 6-7 record against quad 1 teams with no quad 4 loses they should be in good position for an at large bid assuming they don't fall on their face in the BET.

Never in doubt.

Go X!
    If we win out in Big East play I'll buy you a beer, it's plausible this season, it's the most open it's been but man, that would be something. Insane what a 3 game win streak can do to morale around here.

We took a look at Xavier's best-case scenario for at-large consideration. The short answer is that, even with the team's next loss coming in the BET final, it's pretty tough sledding for them to get an at-large. Stranger things have happened, though, and it's better to have a slim chance than none at all. After six straight losses, hope still finds a way to spring eternal.
    Joel
    Banners on the Parkway - XU on SBN (Formerly Xavier Examiner)

Sophomore
    Wanna get crazy? Let’s get crazy... when we finish the season on a 10-game winning streak, what’s our tourney seed?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    We took a look at Xavier's best-case scenario for at-large consideration. The short answer is that, even with the team's next loss coming in the BET final, it's pretty tough sledding for them to get an at-large. Stranger things have happened, though, and it's better to have a slim chance than none at all. After six straight losses, hope still finds a way to spring eternal.
    I find it extremely hard to believe that if we win out in the regular season, and win two in the BET, that we only have a 10% chance for an at large bid. X would have at worst 5 Quad 1 wins and a 10-8 record in a top 5 conference (even though admittedly it is a bit down this year.)

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I find it extremely hard to believe that if we win out in the regular season, and win two in the BET, that we only have a 10% chance for an at large bid. X would have at worst 5 Quad 1 wins and a 10-8 record in a top 5 conference (even though admittedly it is a bit down this year.)
    Yeah I am with you.

While obviously this scenario isnt likely, if it happens I don't know how we don't have at least a 50/50 chance. Unless the committee is just so disgusted by our out of conference they dont consider it. Seems like though they get more mad about playing no one in out of conference than beating no one, but maybe it is the same.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Agree with you guys. Metrics aside, I'd rather have the momentum at the end of the season too. I feel like the committee would much rather have a team playing well in March than one that tanked down the stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by fellahmuskie View Post
    Agree with you guys. Metrics aside, I'd rather have the momentum at the end of the season too. I feel like the committee would much rather have a team playing well in March than one that tanked down the stretch.
    I don't know what to feel about this year's committee. I think there are a few people on it who are complete idiots. One in particular has needed the RPI explained to them repeatedly. It's 7th grade math!! So, forget explaining the NET to this person. I'm not going to say who, but I really don't think I have to. You can look at who's on it and figure it out.

So, you would think that they would want that, but I really don't know. What's funny is that we have all these new enhanced metrics, and I think there are several people on this committee that won't really even look at the metrics at all. They just don't seem like the kind of people that would sit around and mull over a bunch of data. And, then there is one that wouldn't understand what all of the abbreviations mean on the stat sheet of basic game. Okay, that's an exaggeration. At least, I think. But....maybe not.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

I'm just going to assume that the idiot on the Selection Committee is Mitch Barnhart. Because that's who I want it to be.

Bernadette McGlade is probably the more logical choice. It's hard to believe she still has a job when her conference has been completely gutted during her tenure.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah I am with you.

While obviously this scenario isnt likely, if it happens I don't know how we don't have at least a 50/50 chance. Unless the committee is just so disgusted by our out of conference they dont consider it. Seems like though they get more mad about playing no one in out of conference than beating no one, but maybe it is the same.
    I don't know how Bart Torvik arrives at his numbers, but I'm with you. I think 20-14 and scalding hot down the stretch would give us a good enough resume to be comfortably in. On the other hand, that's basically the exact case we argued against when we were like 24-8 with an A10 schedule and not happy about not getting enough respect. Maybe I'm just wearing blinders because it's my team, but I think that resume should be in.

Of course, we don't have that resume just yet. Gotta win 'em one at a time.
    Joel
    Banners on the Parkway - XU on SBN (Formerly Xavier Examiner)

im just happy we are even taking about the bubble really............2 weeks ago I wanted the season over.......