Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Lack of good fundamentals has been a problem longer than just this year, and it’s not just limited to Xavier. We have seen it for some time, and it’s prevalent throughout college BB, even among many of the top teams. However, much as it pains me to say this, it doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem for the Villanova teams. They seem to do a better job of being fundamentally sound than just about anyone else. Same with Gonzaga. That should tell somebody something about what needs changing going forward.
    Seems to me that it would part of what he is trying to do foundationally with his program. An emphasis on the basics.......

I know talent helps offset some of this...........but we cant keeping coming back to that excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    If you don’t think he’s played well today, despite being 0-3 from three, you’re going to need to rewatch. 2 really good assists in the first half. 2 blocks. Instrumental in ball movement creating Naji three (he didn’t panick with 6 seconds left in shot clock), grabbing loose ball in corner and forcing a turnover.
    I really don't want to be right about this, but I think you're looking through rose colored glasses if you think that was a strong performance. He looked better tonight for sure, but that's explained by being up against an atrocious defense and an offense that couldn't hit a shot. To me all this shows me is that the measure of a "good" performance for this team is not having a ton of atrocious turnovers.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    OK, I was just acknowledging that I know my rightful place when it comes to our marriage. I thought that was almost universal, but maybe some people have different experiences. I find it far easier to take the easier and more pleasant route. My reading glasses are fine. I didn’t know what required a “What!?”, but then I don’t care much either. Have a nice night’s sleep!
    Wow didn't think this would be all that controversial. Dart - I was poking fun at 82 while completely agreeing with his take. We're both prob a little more "seasoned" than most here and thus hopefully more wise. And also wise-assesd. And apparently our wives are related ;)
    Xavier is THE University of Cincinnati

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    I really don't want to be right about this, but I think you're looking through rose colored glasses if you think that was a strong performance. He looked better tonight for sure, but that's explained by being up against an atrocious defense and an offense that couldn't hit a shot. To me all this shows me is that the measure of a "good" performance for this team is not having a ton of atrocious turnovers.
    I think he did a lot of things well on defense...challenging shots, deflections etc. Offensively, he is still struggling in confidence, but I do think it was significant that with the shot clock winding down, he didn’t panic and found an open Naji for three. I think the great part about Elias last night is that I think Steele gained some confidence in him to be a part of the regular rotation, and in turn Elias is going to feel more confident. Who knows what the outcome will be for sure, but this could be the game where it started to click for Elias. Only time will tell.

Sophomore
    I don’t think it’s rose colored glasses, it’s that strong is a relative term. Eli did a lot of things yesterday to help us win, things that we really haven’t seen him do before.

Can anyone confirm that Elias was touted as a great long range shooter coming out of high school? Every video/report I recall was more mid-range shots and slashing drives/pull ups but I could be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd braun View Post
    can anyone confirm that elias was touted as a great long range shooter coming out of high school? Every video/report i recall was more mid-range shots and slashing drives/pull ups but i could be misremembering.
    espn

strengths:
    Harden is a big guard with good size and length. He's a good three-point shooter and has a complimenting pull-up game with a high and tight release. That, in addition to his size and length, allows him to make tough pull-ups without much separation from his defender.

espn
    I did find his high school stats but it isn’t broken down by year. So FWIW he shot 31% in HS from 3.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gen...oys,basketball

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I was happy to see Hardin in there. No dig at Scruggs either. I fully expect him to start the next game and to play well. But Hardin was hustling, making plays, and having an impact defensively. Scruggs was turning the ball over way to much, and his turnovers led to some open drives to the basket. So, no problem with having Hardin in for Scruggs late in the game IMO. While Scruggs is definitely a better scorer than Hardin, he also seems to turn the ball over more than Hardin. And turnovers have been the death of this team down the stretch in many games this year. In the OT Creighten only scored TWO POINTS! That’s getting it done from a defensive standpoint.

I thought it interesting that X came out with a big lineup to start the game. It didn’t work well, but at least it showed that the coaching staff is willing to try and make the opposition adjust to X, not the other way around. Foul trouble (some questionable calls I might add) took away the ability to play that lineup the rest of the night, but in a way it made a statement.

Wonder why X didn’t through a zone in on a couple of possessions? The man to man was working, but sometimes a change like that can cause the opposition to hesitate or even turn the ball over.

Well a win is a win, and lord knows we will take anyone that we can get right now! The kids played hard and they deserve to have a few breaks go their way. Congratulations, get some rest, and on to the next one!
    I agree. Hardin has been in with the game on the line a few times now. He's a nice kid to bring off the bench, especially considering how tall he is at guard.