Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    credit where it's due, we played great defense tonight. holding creighton to 61 is impressive
    Agree... I thought they really hustled to stay on players tonight- especially the last 7 minutes of regulation and pretty much most of OT.

woukd be nice to see that the rest of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    Um, anyone going to talk about the elbow pick from their center to face on that last score for CU? No wonder CBS isn't showing replays of fouls...
    Glad to know I wasn’t the only one who saw that. Not cool.

Sophomore
    Definitely starting to see the move away from mack's system and towards travis' sean miller like style more and more. we're getting the hang of implementing it i think

He came to play. Thats a game right there. Go Tyrique

I'm not going to question coach's personnel decisions, but man they're strange sometime. Not saying it's right or wrong, just not what I'm used to when watching D1 ball.

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    I'm not going to question coach's personnel decisions, but man they're strange sometime. Not saying it's right or wrong, just not what I'm used to when watching D1 ball.
    I was happy to see Hardin in there. No dig at Scruggs either. I fully expect him to start the next game and to play well. But Hardin was hustling, making plays, and having an impact defensively. Scruggs was turning the ball over way to much, and his turnovers led to some open drives to the basket. So, no problem with having Hardin in for Scruggs late in the game IMO. While Scruggs is definitely a better scorer than Hardin, he also seems to turn the ball over more than Hardin. And turnovers have been the death of this team down the stretch in many games this year. In the OT Creighten only scored TWO POINTS! That’s getting it done from a defensive standpoint.

I thought it interesting that X came out with a big lineup to start the game. It didn’t work well, but at least it showed that the coaching staff is willing to try and make the opposition adjust to X, not the other way around. Foul trouble (some questionable calls I might add) took away the ability to play that lineup the rest of the night, but in a way it made a statement.

Wonder why X didn’t through a zone in on a couple of possessions? The man to man was working, but sometimes a change like that can cause the opposition to hesitate or even turn the ball over.

Well a win is a win, and lord knows we will take anyone that we can get right now! The kids played hard and they deserve to have a few breaks go their way. Congratulations, get some rest, and on to the next one!

Funniest game commentary: Pete saying over and over..."got to call a time out here Travis, got to stop the bleeding..."

And Travis waiting for the media TO.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I have to say that I still don't understand a lot of what Steels is doing and his guys play is kind of all over the place. One game Scruggs is the star, the next he cant think straight. Steele's defense last night was really no different in terms of scheme, Creighton just did not shoot very well. Guys like Castlin pretty much do what they have been doing all year, with little improvement (he simply will not try to beat guys off the dribble even when he has a mismatch or clear lane to drive in). Naji shot the 3 better last night......which is great to see. Hopefully that continues. Harden made a few nice plays last night, but still cant hit wide open 3's. I just don't know what to think and there are many other examples of head scratching plays, scheme's etc.

I see guys playing that aren't comfortable, basic fundamental flaws that continue to happen time after time (like Q not boxing out on the last rebound of the game in OT and then allowing the Creighton defender to tie him up for the jump ball). The list is LONG. Yes, we won but that was not a well played game last night by any stretch. We may have talent or bench deficiencies, but that does not excuse poor fundamental basketball and guys not being on the same page. It simply isn't there most of the time.
    Last edited by bleedXblue; 02-14-2019 at 07:14 AM.

Only 4 times has the Jays been held to less than 62 points and all 4 were losses.
    Ohio St. X, Villlanova, and Seton Hall.

Lack of good fundamentals has been a problem longer than just this year, and it’s not just limited to Xavier. We have seen it for some time, and it’s prevalent throughout college BB, even among many of the top teams. However, much as it pains me to say this, it doesn’t seem to be as much of a problem for the Villanova teams. They seem to do a better job of being fundamentally sound than just about anyone else. Same with Gonzaga. That should tell somebody something about what needs changing going forward.