Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Steele will get 3-4 years. Likely 4. Christopher will give him some time.

He has recruited very well so far. Tandy is extremely under rated and will star at X. Beverly, Harvey top targets left on the board for 2019.

I would not be surprised to see a transfer or 2 after the season.

2020 will be a big class as well. Let Steele get his guys in and we will see what he can really do.

Don't put this years team on just Steele, when this time of the year 2020-2021 rolls around then the judgements can come.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I saw that exact thing happen in Loyola's game with Valpo yesterday. 2nd half start and Kaifes made two bad turnovers in a row. Immediate yank and some "aggressive counseling" on the sideline from Moser. Loyola was down about 6 points at that point but came back to win.
    It has to happen sometime, but Steele hasn't done that much, if at all, this year.
    Problem is that the guys Steele would've yanked in the DePaul game would be Naji (5 TOs) and Scruggs (6 TOs). They had 11 TOs (team total of 16) between them but also 35 of the 63 points... its Sophie's choice at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by XU22 View Post
    I would not be surprised to see a transfer or 2 after the season.
    I will be surprised if we don't see a minimum of two transfers.

Quote Originally Posted by GetUp5 View Post
    I know we're not terribly serious about the idea of firing Steele, but that really would be the worst move ever.

We'd lose the entire recruiting class and be this bad for another 2-3 seasons at least.

Always have to give the new coach 3-4 years, especially when they sign a Top 20 class nationally.
    Thing is, Xavier is not under any financial pressure to do anything here and now.
    -This season is basically sold out with a probable plus 100% capacity result. Whether there are empty seats cause people don't show is irrelevant because the seats are sold.
    -Xavier is paying Steele more than $1million less than Mack was making- and $2million less than Mack was offered to stay, which more than makes up for a zero Xavier NCAA share this year.
    -Folks aren't gonna bail next year from their season seats just because of a bad year, and people will be excited about the recruiting class. Plus Xavier people are much more loyal to the school than your typical state school fan.

Now, if next year is a disaster with little hope shown, the heat's gonna be turned up to HOT, and year 3 will be where the rubber meets the road. That's when the dollars will start to get dicey. If this trash continues for 3 years, look the hell out. Could be buyout city rumblings cause then the brand is getting severely damaged.
    Steele is definitely here 2 more years at minimum no matter what.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I am 100% convinced that Go got a little frisky and made this thread solely to see if it would get over/under 100 responses.

You are getting close, Go. This response doesn’t count...

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    I am 100% convinced that Go got a little frisky and made this thread solely to see if it would get over/under 100 responses.

You are getting close, Go. This response doesn’t count...
    I mean, we had Fire Miller and Fire Mack threads without the question mark. We can't have that, on one hand, and have Steele on the sideline for a home loss to fucking DePaul to make us 11-13, on the other hand, without him getting a thread of his own.

And Marshall might be at the top of that list

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Amazing people just go for a name...........

I would however take Sean Miller back in a heartbeat.....all baggage included if he signed a long term deal with a HUGE buyout option

Yeah because off the court issues are exactly what the Big East wants. Miller can't win without reaching deep into the knucklehead pile for recruits. It's just not worth the optics with Xavier in a solid financial position to hire a quality coach.
    Last edited by Title; 02-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.

My vote is to keep the guy who's first recruiting class is top 20 in the country.
    Run the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Title View Post
    Yeah because off the court issues are exactly what the Big East wants.
    The BE could give two shits about any of that. They want $$$ for the league and Sean would surely excel in this league IMHO.

Meanwhile WTF is going on with Louisville and the box of money promised/offered to Brian Bowen?