Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    I have a long time friend whose a good golfer. When he’s having a bad round and then hits a good drive he says “one in a row.”

Last night was one in a row.
    Amen.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Despite being a Cincy native, X player and captain and all time winningest coach, Mack proved to be someone who ascribed no real value to any of that. Which is fine, but I'm not going to canonize him as someone who is to be enshrined in Xavier lore forever. Other coaches who came and went had no previous ties to Xavier. They were never really one of "us", but Mack was one of "us". To me, he lost his standing as one of "us" when he decided to hightail it to Louisville. That's totally his right, but I now place him somewhere between Matta at the worst end of the spectrum and Miller at the worse end of he spectrum. I will never wish him ill, but have no interest in anything he ever does again on, or off the basketball court.
    Totally agree.

I always found him more than a little arrogant and full of himself. He got a little better at the end of his tenure, but it really bothered me the way he would often be a jerk to the media/press... and apparently he still does it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ew/2779929002/

Nice job being rude to another reporter Mack during your halftime interview of the Louisville / VT game... then half heartedly apologizing for it later (I know your wife made you) but then, like the immature kid you are, you just had to make an “I don’t lose sleep over people who don’t like me” remark (twice). What a piece of work.

Some coaches are clearly in the “I’m okay with being a dick/jerk” camp (Bobby Knight, Jim Beheim, Chris Mack)

Some coaches are not (John Wooden, Jay Wright, Coach K). Being classy and gracious and respectful of others is something they deeply value.

Personally, I’d rather not ever have to watch a coach in the jerk/dick camp, so I am glad that I don’t have watch him anymore during X games.

For awhile, there seemed to be quite a few people on this board who defended him after he left. I couldn’t do that knowing the way he left and how he screwed this year’s team. I couldn’t ignoring the remarks he made to the media after leaving to help pump up his own image while making the X brand seem small.

No, I was not the biggest fan of Mack, and I certainly am not going to look the other way and pretend he was such a wonderful guy (or loyal alum), just because he had success coaching at X.

Last edited by IM4X; 02-17-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Broering was on Mo egger's show just a little bit ago not understanding any dislike towards Mack. Doesn't think it makes sense everyone was taking so much pleasure in Mack/Louisville's collapse last night.

I was taking great pleasure. I do get that being a fan though causes irrational behavior. But I also don't think its completely irrational to not be cheering for Mack to have great success.
    I don't understand the tendency sportswriters/commentators, etc. have to occasionally pretend they don't understand why fans are upset when bad things happen. Are they really surprised or dumbfounded that some fans get upset when a coach leaves or a team is playing badly? I highly doubt it. I guess maybe it stirs up discussion. Either way it's an annoying trait of a lot of current people in sports media.

I have a long time friend whose a good golfer. When he’s having a bad round and then hits a good drive he says “one in a row.”

Last night was one in a row.
    You know he is being uber sarcastic, right ?
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Quote Originally Posted by joe titan View Post
    You know he is being uber sarcastic, right ?
    Who, may I ask, do you think is being totally sarcastic?
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post

Totally agree.

I always found him a more than a little arrogant and full of himself. He got a little better at the end of his tenure, but it really bothered me the way he would often be a jerk to the media/press... and apparently he still does it.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ew/2779929002/

Nice job being rude to another reporter Mack during your halftime interview of the Louisville / VT game... then half heartedly apologizing for it later (I know your wife made you) but then, like the immature kid you are, you just had to make an “I don’t lose sleep over people who don’t like me” remark (twice). What a piece of work.

Some coaches are clearly in the “I’m okay with being a dick/jerk” camp (Bobby Knight, Jim Beheim, Chris Mack)

Some coaches are not (John Wooden, Jay Wright, Coach K). Being classy and gracious and respectful of others is something they deeply value.

Personally, I’d rather not ever have to watch a coach in the jerk/dick camp, so I am glad that I don’t have watch him anymore during X games.

For awhile, there seemed to be quite a few people on this board who defended him after he left. I couldn’t do that knowing the way he left and how he screwed this year’s team. I couldn’t ignoring the remarks he made to the media after leaving to help pump up his own image while making the X brand seem small.

No, I am was not the biggest fan of Mack, and I certainly am not going to look the other way and pretend he was such a wonderful guy (or loyal alum), just because he had success coaching at X.

Thank from one of the many old 'reader' wearing old guys for the large font.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Thank from one of the many old 'reader' wearing old guys for the large font.
    Uh... oh good... that was absolutely my intention. It certainly had nothing to do with the font size becoming bigger after I pasted the link or the fact that I couldn’t get it changed back no matter how many times I tried.

Sometime you’ve just gotta let it be.
    Last edited by IM4X; 02-17-2019 at 01:50 AM.

Providence game gave me a glimpse of what Steele's game plan looks like when properly executed - and I liked (most) of it.
    1) Going through Ty and feeding him the ball. It wasn't just Q getting him the ball - others were too. And this was against the strength of Providence which is their inside play since they start 2 frosh Guards
    2) To the naked eye (I have not reviewed the stats) the only time they settled for 3s was when we played the zone - and even then there was a conscious effort to have Ty and Zack come out to set a screen and hopefully jar something loose to get the ball in the middle
    3) Spacing is much better and you can see Q swinging the ball for Naji/Scruggs to drive - or trying to get the ball inside - all in the same possession. The game plan is not complicated - but the guys seem to get the hang for it in the game. If the defense collapses - swing to Naji/Scruggs - if they stay out get the ball to Zack/Ty
    4) They still need to have some more set plays drawn up to disrupt a zone defense - because they will see a ton of zone going forward. Not sure what that might be but maybe overloading 1 side of the floor to allow Naji to drive on the other side... because we are not capable of shooting over the zone.

The biggest thing to work on is turnovers. That disrupts our offensive rhythm and makes it so hard to defend when the other team is running on you.

Bottom line - we don't have the personnel to match up with a team that relies on outside shooting (Nova, Butler, Marquette) but with everyone else - we should be in the game.

Crickets?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Crickets?
    And rightfully so.
    X A V I E R