Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I heard the rumor that the players at UMass were being paid and expected Kelsey to continue the payments. By who exactly I dont know. And that Kelsey bailed because of that. No idea if that has any truth to it at all but I believe that is what you were referencing.

As for his exit from XU I know publicly he stated it was for personal reasons and he referenced Skip's death and his own health but obviously he returned to coaching pretty quickly after. I have heard various rumors of why he actually left X but none that have actually be substantiated.
    I've always thought it showed a tremendous amount of character for Kelsey to subject himself to the type/amount of ridicule he received in the press as opposed to stating publically what he encountered when he met the players and thus the reason why he backed out of the job.

As far as his departure from X I'll leave that to others. But I believe there are folks on this board that know what happened (and I know for a fact there are guys on MM who know).

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    As far as his departure from X I'll leave that to others. But I believe there are folks on this board that know what happened (and I know for a fact there are guys on MM who know).
    It was only a matter of time before this was brought up.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    With Steele and the staff he brought in I was most excited about the recruiting that could take place. A first year head coach can take a little more time with X's and O's- I don't hate the idea of bringing in someone for that. Regardless, I am still excited about the talent this coaching staff can bring in.
    I thought Steele was supposed to be a pretty savvy Xs and Os guy under Mack?

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I disagree with this wholeheartedly. It takes an exceptional team to win the Big East. It takes an exceptional team to get a 1/2 seed, and it takes an exceptional team to get to the elite 8. I was hard on Mack but he has 2 of the top 4 teams in Xavier history, won coach of the year honors and is in the running this year for the same award at Louisville. As many have said over and over this team has been close in a ton of games this year. They really haven’t been blown out much and I think Mack would have this exact team in position to make the tournament, no question.

If Mack had no exceptional teams, his accomplishments are even better. Has Xavier ever had an exceptional team, in your eyes?
    Did you feel like you were watching an exceptional team last year? I never really did. I kept waiting to see it, but it never really happened. We won virtually every close game we played in, but didn't really blow anybody out or look that great at any point. We got stomped 2x by Villanova (our annual tradition) and got a 1 seed only to go 1 and done. I think of last year's team as either (1) very lucky or (2) very good at closing out close games, or maybe a little of both.
    Eat Donuts!

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Did you feel like you were watching an exceptional team last year? I never really did. I kept waiting to see it, but it never really happened. We won virtually every close game we played in, but didn't really blow anybody out or look that great at any point. We got stomped 2x by Villanova (our annual tradition) and got a 1 seed only to go 1 and done. I think of last year's team as either (1) very lucky or (2) very good at closing out close games, or maybe a little of both.
    Bad take.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    I thought Steele was supposed to be a pretty savvy Xs and Os guy under Mack?
    Offensively, he seems to be doing a pretty good job. Having this team 53rd in offensive efficiency with 4 starters that shoot less than 30% from 3 is pretty respectable, but the defense is a trainwreck. 199th in defensive efficiency oy vey.

Sophomore
    I don't think they fully realized their potential, but it's a wild take to say that the only 1 seed and Big East champion in school history wasn't an exceptional, team. If that's the standard, we've basically never had an exceptional team.

man i wouldnt want to work for you......

Some of you people are absolute lunatics.
    Mom and Papa told me "Son, you gotta go to school; only way to make the fam'ly proud."
    I paid no attention, left my books at home, rather play my music real loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    It was only a matter of time before this was brought up.
    Bringing up that rumor is Tu soon.
    Run the table.