Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    If Xavier does have to make a change, it should be Pat Kelsey. He is a good coach, and knows how to manage an entire program. He was my #1 no brainier, but I guess Mack's opinion weighed heavy. I'm still supporting Steele for 3 years minimum.
    The same Pat Kelsey who quit his job at X without explanation and then resigned from UMass after he accepted the job the day or two before, again without explanation? No thanks.

I will add that Kelsey has been good but not great at Winthrop- going to the NCAA's once in 7 years.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-11-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Steve Alford? Pat Kelsey?

Jesus, it makes sense that Christopher just went ahead and promoted Steele from the bench if these were actually his alternatives.

Stealing from the Holy Land site.... what about Matta as a special assistant to help with Xs & Os and Game Planning...

Quote Originally Posted by hydmuskie View Post
    Stealing from the Holy Land site.... what about Matta as a special assistant to help with Xs & Os and Game Planning...
    Welcome aboard Coach Thad! Good luck in your future endeavors former Coach Dante.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Steve Alford? Pat Kelsey?

Jesus, it makes sense that Christopher just went ahead and promoted Steele from the bench if these were actually his alternatives.
    There were other and good alternatives (NKU coach, SD State coach etc.). Personally, I thought Steele was the best pick as compared to the others. There wasn't someone else out there that made me think, "This guy is going to be really, really good."

No, I agree these weren't Christopher's only options. Just the options posted here.

I was okay with the Steele hire. Still am. Wasn't particularly excited by it at the time, and I'm still not. But I also could have run with any of Chris Jans (if you can handle his offcourt stuff), Wes Miller or Steve Forbes and felt pretty damned good.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    The same Pat Kelsey who quit his job at X without explanation and then resigned from UMass after he accepted the job the day or two before, again without explanation? No thanks.

I will add that Kelsey has been good but not great at Winthrop- going to the NCAA's once in 7 years.
    With all due respect you really don't know what you're talking about here. You may want to dig a little deeper into his departures from X and UMass before you throw dirt on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    With all due respect you really don't know what you're talking about here. You may want to dig a little deeper into his departures from X and UMass before you throw dirt on the guy.
    Nice to see the Kelsey family alive and well on the message board.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    I heard the rumor that the players at UMass were being paid and expected Kelsey to continue the payments. By who exactly I dont know. And that Kelsey bailed because of that. No idea if that has any truth to it at all but I believe that is what you were referencing.

As for his exit from XU I know publicly he stated it was for personal reasons and he referenced Skip's death and his own health but obviously he returned to coaching pretty quickly after. I have heard various rumors of why he actually left X but none that have actually be substantiated.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Where I am going with this is the oft repeated focus on this board about the fact that we have no truly effective, go-to shooters. So, we run a great set, get the ball to a Welage, and he shoots, well, he shoots like he has been shooting, which is to say that he isn't shooting like he apparently did at SJSU.
    I decided to look into this. I continue to think we don't give him enough minutes/shots. I know this is a tougher league, but why not try to get him more shots. Especially when we go on and on about our lack of 3 pt effectiveness:

His stats through 4 years (to date) on 3 pt shots %: 36.1,36.4, 42.9 and this year 39.3.

So, he's a little better than years 1 & 2, not up to last year.

Still think we should use him more.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.