Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    How do you do that? I hear ya, but no program ever says that before the year starts..........we should have known better but had no idea how the grad transfers were going to impact this team. AND, everyone thought Q, Naji and Jones were going to take major steps forward.
    Well, you start by not saying things like " this is going to be one of the best defensive xavier teams ever." There are also ways for coaches to frame expectations to the fanbase without sounding like you dont think the kids are worth a darn.

I think Steele is even surprised just how inept and untalented this team is though, and I quite frankly think hes very ready for this year to be over. I honestly dont think he likes this team very much..he'd obviously never say that, but when they showed him in the huddle last night, it said a lot about what he thinks of this team as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Well, you start by not saying things like " this is going to be one of the best defensive xavier teams ever." There are also ways for coaches to frame expectations to the fanbase without sounding like you dont think the kids are worth a darn.

I think Steele is even surprised just how inept and untalented this team is though, and I quite frankly think hes very ready for this year to be over. I honestly dont think he likes this team very much..he'd obviously never say that, but when they showed him in the huddle last night, it said a lot about what he thinks of this team as a whole.
    What happened in the huddle? I was at the game and don't have a great view of the X huddle during timeouts. Thanks.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by X_ATL View Post
    What happened in the huddle? I was at the game and don't have a great view of the X huddle during timeouts. Thanks.
    They did an "inside the huddle" and had Steele micd up for it. He just looked completely exasperated and said " you gotta box out...." maybe I'm reading too much into it but just the way he said it, it was almost as if he really just wanted to say " ya know fuck this, you guys dont follow directions and I'm sick of dealing with this same shit over and over, im out."

Junior
    Call me Mr Obvious, but it's becoming more and more apparent that Macura and Bluiett masked a lot, and I mean a lot, of serious flaws last year.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Call me Mr Obvious, but it's becoming more and more apparent that Macura and Bluiett masked a lot, and I mean a lot, of serious flaws last year.
    Along with Sean and Kanter

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I don't know if masked a lot of flaws is the right wording. I think it is just more obvious than ever how good they were and how much easier it is for the returning players to make an impact when the other team had to focus on stopping those two. It definitely shows none of the returning players were ready to be that focal point. I think some of them could be but we have to have shooters to help space the floor which we just dont have.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Along with Sean and Kanter
    That’s right. The play of those two guys was crucial to the success of the team last year.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    This.
    Steele can’t comtril turnovers, but he can control playing time. If you make mistakes, you get yanked. Shouldn’t matter who you are, at what point of the game, or if you have to put in a walk on. Make a mistake and you’re out. If not, and there’s no consequences, then the mistakes comituue. That’s on the coach, be it Steel or anyone else.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    Steele can’t comtril turnovers, but he can control playing time. If you make mistakes, you get yanked. Shouldn’t matter who you are, at what point of the game, or if you have to put in a walk on. Make a mistake and you’re out. If not, and there’s no consequences, then the mistakes comituue. That’s on the coach, be it Steel or anyone else.
    I mean I get this in one sense but at the same time he is still trying to win the games. No one we could put it would be any better. Can you imagine what James and Kennedy look like in practice on a daily basis to not be getting any playing time?

You want walk on's in? Seriously?

The one area I guess I could buy is playing Q less and going with the lineups we had to play with when he was out injured. Play Scruggs more at the point.

At the same time I am sure Steele is hoping Q plays himself out of whatever he has going on. While also hoping to get him into next year through this funk and contributing at a high level again.

We have some help coming but like it or not we are going to need Q next year back at a level where he is contributing positively in order to be successful.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    If we do fire Steele can we get Archie Miller? He is about to be shown the door soon. Either him or his brother. Both will jobless by next year if things donÂ’t change. If Steele sucks this bad next year with no improvement and the Millers are available X needs to grab one. But Steele will be fine so not to worry.
    Hells to the No!

Shady Sean can keep his lame “Lexus” program. We don’t need him or his sweat at Cintas. And we’re certainly too good a brand now to bring aboard a captain from a sinking ship.
    Last edited by IM4X; 02-10-2019 at 11:18 PM.