Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Fire Steele?

Not really, but Jesus, he was on the sideline for that traveshamockery. The 30 point loss at home to LaSuck under Skip is the only one I can remember worse than this one. Brutal.

Please screen save this thread because when Steele leaves for another awesome program we are going to be pissed. The way fans on this site have reacted is typical of white privileg. We are not Duke. Hell UK and UNC have gone through this. VD goes through this every year. Steele is the man and we will make the next leap because of him. Please take off your blue blinders for one year and just eat crow. Let’s talk this time next year. If we arnt better then you’re complaints are right. Sorry im drunk.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Wow! “White privileg”? First.learn how to spell, there’s an e on the end that is missing. 2nd, don’t post when you’re drunk. 3rd, Wow! Just wow.

I’m not in favor of any firing, but I will say that this is quite possibly the worst Xavier team I’ve seen in 37 years. If not the worst, they are certainly in the running. Terrible shooting. Even worse ball handling. Help defense is non-existent.

Lack of hustle and lack of fight. How in the world do they give up so many offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points? ....and I place that squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

There wasn’t one good thing in that whole game that can built upon. How did they let it get this bad?

I’m not pissed because all I’ve invested is my time watching the games. But I’m really disappointed. It’s one thing to lose to better teams. It quite another to lose to lesser teams. Especially when there seems to be a total lack of effort. At least give us effort.

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Wow! “White privileg”? First.learn how to spell, there’s an e on the end that is missing. 2nd, don’t post when you’re drunk. 3rd, Wow! Just wow.

I’m not in favor of any firing, but I will say that this is quite possibly the worst Xavier team I’ve seen in 37 years. If not the worst, they are certainly in the running. Terrible shooting. Even worse ball handling. Help defense is non-existent.

Lack of hustle and lack of fight. How in the world do they give up so many offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points? ....and I place that squarely on the shoulders of the coaching staff.

There wasn’t one good thing in that whole game that can built upon. How did they let it get this bad?

I’m not pissed because all I’ve invested is my time watching the games. But I’m really disappointed. It’s one thing to lose to better teams. It quite another to lose to lesser teams. Especially when there seems to be a total lack of effort. At least give us effort.
    I agree. What is really frustrating about this team is that have not come close to either improving or even playing like a team as this season mercifully comes to a close. "Hero ball", the one-on-one shit that seems to take over this team at crunch time, is absolutely baffling. It inevitably leads to turnovers and forced shots like we saw down the stretch yesterday and in most of our recent games. Why our players don't get it is beyond me. Is it on the coach? Possibly, but I give Steele a pass THIS season because of the hand that Mack dealt him. But coaches gotta coach. So next season, with HIS players and with more depth and talent, Steele needs to deliver and show us that he has the coaching chops to get through to his players. This "groundhog day" season is one that I cannot go through again.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

Haven’t said this in almost my entire adult life, but......I can’t wait until this season is over and we can put it behind us.

Supporting Member
    We've had this discussion already (sadly) and it is (or was at that time) the collective wisdom of this board that Steele gets at least three years total. This year is over. One can hope the experience helps Steele and the returning players approach next season differently.

As for Steele, no doubt, the adjustment has been difficult for him. And, the pressure has got to be immense. Many people get promoted into a job before they are ready. It happens in life and perhaps there are posters are on this board who experienced it in their careers. Steele will, I hope, grow into the responsibility. Presently, he seems out of sync. But, there are some jobs that are too tough for on the job training and perhaps head coach in the Big East is one of them. Steele had no previous head coach experience and despite ten years at X in increasingly responsible roles, he may not be head coach material----I hope he works through this but we just have to give hime the time to see.

God, I hope I never see another dumbass reference to "white privilege" on this board, ever, ever again. Can those of us who disagree on matters of basketball at least agree that we will try to say something intelligent?

Just a little early on the Fire Steele idea. (By maybe 2 years)

Was at a local game, so only saw the last of the second half.
    At the 5 minute mark, we were up 4. We only made one more basket at the 36 second mark.
    2 TO's, scored tied, Steele calls timeout.
    3 more TO's, they lead by 5. Ball game.

That's not bad coaching, that's really, really poor player execution.

Earlier I had watched Wofford. We'd kill for 2 of their players.
    One, Fletcher Magee, passed JJ Reddick for #2 all time NCAA history in 3 pointers.
    They run constant sets to get 3's, have bought in fully to value of 3 point shooters with 2 effective bigs underneath.
    They boatraced Western North Carolina...coached by Skip's son Mark.

Strange night all around. Let's give Steele a chance.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Just a little early on the Fire Steele idea. (By maybe 2 years)

Was at a local game, so only saw the last of the second half.
    At the 5 minute mark, we were up 4. We only made one more basket at the 36 second mark.
    2 TO's, scored tied, Steele calls timeout.
    3 more TO's, they lead by 5. Ball game.

That's not bad coaching, that's really, really poor player execution.

Earlier I had watched Wofford. We'd kill for 2 of their players.
    One, Fletcher Magee, passed JJ Reddick for #2 all time NCAA history in 3 pointers.
    They run constant sets to get 3's, have bought in fully to value of 3 point shooters with 2 effective bigs underneath.
    They boatraced Western North Carolina...coached by Skip's son Mark.

Strange night all around. Let's give Steele a chance.
    With Tyrique, Zach and Welage, sad to say there is no way we could do the same (sigh).. It would be nice to see a 3 in rhythm instead of a hot potato bailout pass.

Freshman
    What struck me yesterday was the post game - Steele sounded stunned. He kept repeating himself and spoke in cliches. He is out of ideas and the sooner this season is over the better. It’s troubling that he is telling the team in the TO that they need to box out. I almost felt sorry for him. I know one thing, he needs to find his own path. I’m not sure how he rights the ship here. Would be nice if he had an old hand on the staff - like Gene Keady when he was on Lavin’s staff. Maybe that could/should have been a part of the deal.

I think Xavier’s success in hiring miller and Mack made the Steele hire inevitable. A mix of naïveté and arrogance in that hire if that makes sense. This program is in a hell of a different place than when we hired Miller and Mack into their first HC jobs. And those guys played. That gave them some credibility that perhaps Steele doesn’t have. A hell of a lot of people built this program over the last 35 years. It was at its absolute apex last year with a one seed. Then we gave the keys to a 37 year old with no head coaching experience. We did this no doubt in accordance with Mack’s recommendation - that he basically must make and with his head elsewhere anyway. I’m sure Steele’s work ethic And other attributes made him attractive but nobody knew whether he could coach. That was unknowable. Just a big bet to place on this guy. A bet I would not have made with the program where it was when the decision was made.

Good luck Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by KFX View Post
    What struck me yesterday was the post game - Steele sounded stunned. He kept repeating himself and spoke in cliches. He is out of ideas and the sooner this season is over the better. It’s troubling that he is telling the team in the TO that they need to box out. I almost felt sorry for him. I know one thing, he needs to find his own path. I’m not sure how he rights the ship here. Would be nice if he had an old hand on the staff - like Gene Keady when he was on Lavin’s staff. Maybe that could/should have been a part of the deal.

I think Xavier’s success in hiring miller and Mack made the Steele hire inevitable. A mix of naïveté and arrogance in that hire if that makes sense. This program is in a hell of a different place than when we hired Miller and Mack into their first HC jobs. And those guys played. That gave them some credibility that perhaps Steele doesn’t have. A hell of a lot of people built this program over the last 35 years. It was at its absolute apex last year with a one seed. Then we gave the keys to a 37 year old with no head coaching experience. We did this no doubt in accordance with Mack’s recommendation - that he basically must make and with his head elsewhere anyway. I’m sure Steele’s work ethic And other attributes made him attractive but nobody knew whether he could coach. That was unknowable. Just a big bet to place on this guy. A bet I would not have made with the program where it was when the decision was made.

Good luck Coach.
    Yeah he's learning on the job..........and I hope he starts to figure some things out. The coach speak cliche's have to go.......he's starting to sound like a broken record.