Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 211

Thread: Fire Steele?

  1. #21
    Supporting Member GoMuskies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    26,462
    On the plus side, I do think the team has continued to play hard/is still emotionally invested. Maybe this loss kills that, but for now I don’t think he’s lost the team. That’s a real accomplishment given the way the season has gone. And the announcers pointed out how Steele was drawing up points out of timeouts. Another positive sign.

  2. #22
    Junior bjf123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Section 105
    Posts
    2,920
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Harsh away. I can handle it. I'm not in favor of firing even if we lose out (which I suspect we will), but also think this season has been bad enough that year #3 should be in question if year #2 is similar.
    What he said.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

  3. #23
    X has been blowing leads of all sorts the first most notable going back to the San Diego State game during the early-season tourney when they blew a 19 point lead and lost. There are some other games in the OOC season when X blew leads, but hung on to win. So, blame aside, we can all stipulate that playing with and holding the lead has been an issue for this team all season. That is a fact, notwithstanding whose feet we want to lay the blame for it happening.
    Pray the Rosary daily

  4. #24
    At this point, he is out of his depth.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Maybe his last class was a bust. But how can you say he wasn't successful with his recruits based on the BE transition and play.
    All 5 years in the BE we went to the tournament and got a S16 and an E8.
    Sumner a bust? He's now on the Pacers' roster.
    If Macura "pans out", isn't that a case of a coach recognizing and utilizing talent?

    Guess I just don't get the hate for Xavier's all time winning-est coach.
    Huh? We didn't go to S16 or E8 every year in the BE. We lost in the 2nd round last year and also vs. Wisconsin

  6. #26
    I have not posted much this year cause there is no reason to repeat the I told you so mantra and have people just get pissed off. However this thread is bad.

    No, Steele shouldn't be fired. Anyone who thought this team would compete for any type of bid was delusional. When you need multiple transfers you are not going to do much. Getting that one guy to fill a missing piece is okay but going with multiple transfers is a bad formula. That is not Steele's fault.

    As for needing an exceptional team to make a final four, that is dependant on your definition of exceptional. If you mean exceptional talent then that helps but is not really true. If you mean work exceptionally well as a team then yes I agree.

    It's just a perfect storm this year. It will get better very soon. Steele will be fine

  7. #27
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    14,196
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    Huh? We didn't go to S16 or E8 every year in the BE. We lost in the 2nd round last year and also vs. Wisconsin
    No, I said we went to the tournament all 5 years. And got a S16 and an E8.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  8. #28
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,497
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Not really, but Jesus, he was on the sideline for that traveshamockery. The 30 point loss at home to LaSuck under Skip is the only one I can remember worse than this one. Brutal.
    I was there last night and I have a lot of thoughts. I, however, am reserving comment on this until after the Creighton game on Wednesday.
    But I have a LOT of notes.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  9. #29
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,497
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    He definitely recruited some very good players no doubt, but he did not consistently turn out the kind of classes that are needed to compete and excel at the highest level. Maybe that just isn't doable at X? Maybe......
    Greg Christopher addressed our Lew Hirt Society Convention yesterday.
    The chief point he continually made was that there were too many times in past years where the recruiting at Xavier was a "Roller Coaster" (his words). One year up, one year down. Not consistent. He was extremely confident (and of course he made the hire, so you know he would express it) that the current staff would stop the up and down. He cited Steele's work ethic as to that, that he never stops and his 24 hour turnaround trip this past week to see Harvey. Whether or not we get Harvey over Gonzaga, (I have a hard time seeing it when the two programs and coach experience/resume is compared, but whatever) the point is that Steele is non stop in this vein.
    Whether or not Steele can effectively manage a roster and manage an individual game is still in question, however.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  10. #30
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,497
    Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    As for needing an exceptional team to make a final four, that is dependant on your definition of exceptional. If you mean exceptional talent then that helps but is not really true. If you mean work exceptionally well as a team then yes I agree.
    Loyola Chicago last year fits this description to a T.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •