Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Fire Steele and hire who?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Xer4ever View Post
    Interesting post. I guess “coaching chops” could mean different things to different people. What does it mean to you?
    -Managing a Roster by designing multiple Offensive and Defensive Systems that put each players talent in the best position possible to succeed- Installed by reps in practice (you get hours of it). This is after after deep off season analysis of each guys strengths & weaknesses. PLUS
    -Managing a Game by effective use of the playing time given to each guy (not excessive) & quick decisions to change up one of those multiple systems or guys that you started with based upon what the opponent throws at you. If you fail at either by not being intuitive enough to see, or your staff is ineffective in seeing, or don't have enough multiple systems- "bullets in the gun" so to speak- to adjust with, you will fail.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Unless next year is just as bad of a dumpster fire with no progress being made I just don't see anyway Steele doesnt get 3 years. Firing a coach who could be successful given some reasonable time would be a way bigger mistake in my mind than keeping a coach for 3 years and it not working out.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Walk-On
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Fire Steele and hire who?
    I do not believe they are going to fire Steele after one year, but I think Steve Alford would be a solid hire. My guess is he will find another job in the next year or two. Might need to look at one of the assistants at a big time program down the road as well. Wojo seems to be working out for Marquette, but they had to rebuild for a couple of years to get where they are today. Steele was the natural choice after Mack left, but ultimately he needs to win games in order to keep his job. I really did not see this big of a drop off after last season. Hopefully, Steele can get it together. As I have said in previous posts, I think it is NCAA tourney or bust for Steele next year. Xavier should never finish last in the Big East, and it appears they will this year.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CP05XU08CU13 View Post
    I do not believe they are going to fire Steele after one year, but I think Steve Alford would be a solid hire. My guess is he will find another job in the next year or two. Might need to look at one of the assistants at a big time program down the road as well. Wojo seems to be working out for Marquette, but they had to rebuild for a couple of years to get where they are today. Steele was the natural choice after Mack left, but ultimately he needs to win games in order to keep his job. I really did not see this big of a drop off after last season. Hopefully, Steele can get it together. As I have said in previous posts, I think it is NCAA tourney or bust for Steele next year. Xavier should never finish last in the Big East, and it appears they will this year.
    Steve Alford? No thank you....
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Steve Alford? No thank you....
    Cosign.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

We can be sitting in the same place with any new coach. An experienced HC with mid major success who hasn’t proven to be a top talent recruiter, a former somewhat successful HC with baggage, or Steele (no HC experience and proven to a very good recruiter).

Since this has turned into a total rebuild year, I’ll take my chances with Steele. Hopefully he grows into a good game time HC over the next few years. I couldn’t imagine having Mid Major HC this year and looking at a mediocre 2019 class all for two maybe three wins this year (or even less than what we have). A HC with baggage is a non starter for me.

Junior
    Alford? NFW. Used car salesman, ala Lavin.

Alford is shitty. If Xavier is looking to hire a coach in the next few years, they need to hire a guy on the way up, not one on the way down.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    I don't disagree with any of this. Maybe X has reached a ceiling both in terms of players willing to come here and ability to compete in the conference. As for going deep into the NCAA tournament, that's true but in college basketball teams can go far with just one or two good players. But, they cannot go to the Final 4 or win it without an exceptional team and to my thinking, Coach Mack never had an exceptional team. Exceptional players yes, exceptional team, sorry, but no. And when you look at Villanova, the bell cow and the BE, they always, always have an exceptional team.
    I disagree with this wholeheartedly. It takes an exceptional team to win the Big East. It takes an exceptional team to get a 1/2 seed, and it takes an exceptional team to get to the elite 8. I was hard on Mack but he has 2 of the top 4 teams in Xavier history, won coach of the year honors and is in the running this year for the same award at Louisville. As many have said over and over this team has been close in a ton of games this year. They really haven’t been blown out much and I think Mack would have this exact team in position to make the tournament, no question.

If Mack had no exceptional teams, his accomplishments are even better. Has Xavier ever had an exceptional team, in your eyes?