Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Fire Steele?

Quote Originally Posted by kane79 View Post
    I like Steele as the Xavier coach but I had one big issue with his game management last night. 1.7 seconds left and they call the jump ball instead of a foul. He's is understandably upset but asking the refs to go to replay when I don't believe they can change that call gave Creighton a time out they didn't have and a chance to draw up a play, which turned out to be a wide open three that would have tied it. ( I won't even start in on how the play seemed to be have 15 tackle half the x team to get some one open since they wouldn't call anything on him all night) They won though and that's what matters and a lesson to be learned from that.
    You right they can’t change the call. However, Steele didn’t ask the ref’s because they were actually looking at the clock.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kane79 View Post
    I like Steele as the Xavier coach but I had one big issue with his game management last night. 1.7 seconds left and they call the jump ball instead of a foul. He's is understandably upset but asking the refs to go to replay when I don't believe they can change that call gave Creighton a time out they didn't have and a chance to draw up a play, which turned out to be a wide open three that would have tied it. ( I won't even start in on how the play seemed to be have 15 tackle half the x team to get some one open since they wouldn't call anything on him all night) They won though and that's what matters and a lesson to be learned from that.
    Steele didn't ask them to go look at anything. They went to look at the clock. I am sure he was mad that they were doing that and giving Creighton a free timeout.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Steele didn't ask them to go look at anything. They went to look at the clock. I am sure he was mad that they were doing that and giving Creighton a free timeout.
    Yeah, I think he was mad at both the decision of "jump ball" as well as the basically free timeout that McDermott got.

All-Conference
    It was 2 things:

1) He was complaining it should have been a foul, which it probably should have been, and
    2) It gave Creighton a time-out to draw up some action where they would have not had that luxury without a TO

I don't know if the wide open shooter was a result of the play design (or if the player just improvised), but it does show you what the extra time can bring to a good coach. That was a pre-game warm-up jump shot he was so open. He was in the right to question the stoppage of play under those circumstances as it gave an obvious advantage to Creighton in that situation.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    It was 2 things:

1) He was complaining it should have been a foul, which it probably should have been, and
    2) It gave Creighton a time-out to draw up some action where they would have not had that luxury without a TO

I don't know if the wide open shooter was a result of the play design (or if the player just improvised), but it does show you what the extra time can bring to a good coach. That was a pre-game warm-up jump shot he was so open. He was in the right to question the stoppage of play under those circumstances as it gave an obvious advantage to Creighton in that situation.
    Actually if Q would have boxed out his man, it would have negated Creighton tying him up after the rebound. I thought it was foul too, but not after reviewing the replay......

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    I don’t wish him or his family any Ill will but I def wish his success from
    Here on out nothing but failure. That shouldn’t be hard to do since he sucks. That lost to
    duke will be the downfall of this years team. Steele is going to be Xavier’s all time everything.
    I'm just glad someone finally took him out of the highlight video they show on the big screen before the game. That is a great highlight reel of all time great X players and moments but always thought it was a bit of a stretch to put Mack in there. I know it was due to unfortunate injuries but the guy never played more than a preseason game in an X uniform! And the clip was clearly from either some intramural game or pre-season workout and it just didn't fit with all the other X highlights. Even when he was the coach that always bothered me.

I think we can all agree that the way people have reacted here is like white privileg.
    "Give a toast to my brother, hug your family, and do everything possible to live the life you dream of. God Bless."
    -Matt McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    I think we can all agree that the way people have reacted here is like white privileg.
    I guess I would have said it was more like white supremacy with a hint of patriarchal oppression by a group of people who are literally Hitler, but I can see where one would go that route.

Ok we are all happy with a win, however tainted it was, but...

Creighton totally choked with a 2 point lead with 27 seconds left and the ball out of bounds on their end of the court by throwing the ball into Xavier's court from the sideline with A) A Time Out left to use, B) Xavier having only 5 team fouls that wouldn't create free throws. C) Gift wrapping a basket for Goodin to tie.
    I guess you have to give Xavier's defense on the in bounds credit because they forced Creighton to use a T.O. before the throwaway, and then the giveaway, but Xavier, despite what I thought was a solid effort, got Hella Lucky last night. And I'm sure the Blue Jay Message Board melted down.
    While we can be all happy that X won, the issues haven't gone away, in any respect. There are still numerous examples of coaching miscues that can be pointed out.

One win, that was gift wrapped doesn't change anything for me.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

I have a long time friend whose a good golfer. When he’s having a bad round and then hits a good drive he says “one in a row.”

Last night was one in a row.
    Pray the Rosary daily