Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The future

When Rick Barnes came to Tennessee, he inherited a dumpster fire. His first class of recruits were not heralded by any stretch of the imagination. They were all 3-stars. But when they came to town, they were handed the keys. They took their lumps the first year, improved the second, did very well their third, and now they're #1 their 4th. Travis Steele was given the job of a team that had four years in a row of questionable recruiting by Chris Mack. Yes, there are solid players in Tyrique Jones, Naji Marshall, and Paul Scruggs, but there were way more swings and misses. Just look at the laundry list of players who took up recruiting spots who aren't here any more, or who didn't even see a minute of playing time. Mack knew the situation he created and bailed as fast as he could, knowing his chance for a big- time gig was going out the window if he stuck around for this season. Steele should hand the keys to this incoming Freshman class, let them take their lumps next year, but grow as a cohesive unit to become something special in a few years. That's what he has to do. If it means guys transfer out after this year, so be it. We should load up our pre conference schedule with a ton of cupcakes to build confidence before the Big East schedule. The message needs to be sent to the guys on this roster that they are not going to be major parts of the big picture plans for the future of Xavier basketball. The upcoming Freshman class has to be our version of Tennessee's senior class this season.
    Last edited by mohr5150; 02-09-2019 at 11:16 PM.

For how depressed I feel right now, it's nice to see someone with a little hope.

I feel like the next 8 months are going to be the most nerve wracking stretch I've ever experienced as an X fan. So many unknowns before next season starts.

Correct. Full rebuild mode is in order. Next years class is a good start. We need 2020 to be just as good or better.

I am concerned with Steele's coaching ability........not his ability to recruit. I would like to see some veteran experience on his staff.

[QUOTE=bleedXblue;640072]Correct. Full rebuild mode is in order. Next years class is a good start. We need 2020 to be just as good or better.

I am concerned with Steele's coaching ability........not his ability to recruit. I would like to see some veteran experience on his staff

Yep, this probably more than almost anything else.
    Pray the Rosary daily

How different does this team look with someone that can give Q and Scruggs 7-10 minutes of rest per game?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    How different does this team look with someone that can give Q and Scruggs 7-10 minutes of rest per game?
    Last night, Eli Harden was given second half minutes...FOR HANKINS, while Q, Scruggs and Naji are on the floor!!
    Why was Eli not giving rest to Scruggs, Naji or Q?
    By the way, Xavier was outrebounded in the game by double figures, but Hankins is on the bench for Eli?
    Many questions abound.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    I am concerned with Steele's coaching ability........not his ability to recruit. I would like to see some veteran experience on his staff.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this was a common sentiment when Mack first started. Multiple people wanted him to have an "X's and O's" guy on the staff.

I actually think Steele knows his "X's and O's". He seems to have good game plans, as shown by the relatively large leads X keeps getting in most games. Getting everyone on the same page to effectively run his offense and defense seems to be the greater issue, particularly at the end of close games. This team seems to be panic and forget everything they have been taught when the game gets tight.

Bottom line- the teams lacks discipline at the end of games, which I think is both on the players and coaches. If we see this again next year, then I would start pointing much more to the coaches.
    Last edited by XU 87; 02-11-2019 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but this was a common sentiment when Mack first started. Multiple people wanted him to have an "X's and O's" guy on the staff.

I actually think Steele knows his "X's and O's". He seems to have good game plans, as shown by the relatively large leads X keeps getting in most games. Getting everyone on the same page to effectively run his offense and defense seems to be the greater issue, particularly at the end of close games. This team seems to be panic and forget everything they have been taught when the game gets tight.

Bottom line- the teams lacks discipline at the end of games, which I think is both on the players and coaches. If we see this again next year, then I would start pointing much more to the coaches.
    He comes with an initial plan, but doesn't know what to do when his opposing coach makes a good adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by XfansinKy View Post
    He comes with an initial plan, but doesn't know what to do when his opposing coach makes a good adjustment.
    What adjustments did Depaul make other than our guys making turnovers?

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post

remember next year, same returning 4 but expecting 5 frosh to bring collegiate leadership, defense and much better outside shooting is too much to ask. Steele is laying the foundation for a X team in 2021, 2022, 2023 to be consistently good. Too many roster weaknesses unless Marshall discovers he is Durant or Goodin becomes Jason Kidd.

Who will score inside every night next year?

I like the opening post.
    Tennessee is #1 and 3 years ago had a recruiting class fo lower to mid 150 hs kids. their 3rd best recruit is their leader and scorer.