Thread: Packline D

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior

Packline D

I was listening to the Dana & Victory podcast, and they were discussing the packline. They said its a defense which relies on the opponent missing 3s. 3 point defense seems to be, far and away, our greatest weakness. With Marq,Nova, and Butler each 2x a year why don't we play something else ? They were also of the opinion that next year's D would be different because of more personnel. I would like some press and trap but that's not feasible with this years short bench. Maybe next year.

Junior
    Not all packline D is the same, I am pretty sure Virginia runs packline D and they typically have the best defense in the country

All-Conference
    Do we even still run this? Wasn't this a Miller thing?

Mack runs this and so does Steele. Pack Line defense is run to the T at Virgina. Xavier and Louisville run a modified Pack line defense which is for the average basketball fan is man to man defense.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I was listening to the Dana & Victory podcast, and they were discussing the packline. They said its a defense which relies on the opponent missing 3s. 3 point defense seems to be, far and away, our greatest weakness. With Marq,Nova, and Butler each 2x a year why don't we play something else ? They were also of the opinion that next year's D would be different because of more personnel. I would like some press and trap but that's not feasible with this years short bench. Maybe next year.
    I don't know that its intent is to "hope" the opponent misses threes, but it's primary objective is to clog the lane off the ball inside the pack line to eliminate/cut down on dribble penetration. In knowing that, yes, that opens up the perimeter, especially for teams that rotate the ball and can shoot it well (which seems to be everyone these days). It's not alot different than help side man-to-man defense.

It certainly doesn't seem to be the ideal defense in today's landscape of basketball. Virginia just executes it superbly and has the tough nosed defenders to buy into it.

I think alot of people just like to say "we run the pack line" and think it's god's greatest gift to defense.
    Last edited by drudy23; 02-20-2019 at 11:30 AM.