Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The future

The future

When Rick Barnes came to Tennessee, he inherited a dumpster fire. His first class of recruits were not heralded by any stretch of the imagination. They were all 3-stars. But when they came to town, they were handed the keys. They took their lumps the first year, improved the second, did very well their third, and now they're #1 their 4th. Travis Steele was given the job of a team that had four years in a row of questionable recruiting by Chris Mack. Yes, there are solid players in Tyrique Jones, Naji Marshall, and Paul Scruggs, but there were way more swings and misses. Just look at the laundry list of players who took up recruiting spots who aren't here any more, or who didn't even see a minute of playing time. Mack knew the situation he created and bailed as fast as he could, knowing his chance for a big- time gig was going out the window if he stuck around for this season. Steele should hand the keys to this incoming Freshman class, let them take their lumps next year, but grow as a cohesive unit to become something special in a few years. That's what he has to do. If it means guys transfer out after this year, so be it. We should load up our pre conference schedule with a ton of cupcakes to build confidence before the Big East schedule. The message needs to be sent to the guys on this roster that they are not going to be major parts of the big picture plans for the future of Xavier basketball. The upcoming Freshman class has to be our version of Tennessee's senior class this season.
    Last edited by mohr5150; 02-09-2019 at 11:16 PM.

For how depressed I feel right now, it's nice to see someone with a little hope.

I feel like the next 8 months are going to be the most nerve wracking stretch I've ever experienced as an X fan. So many unknowns before next season starts.

Correct. Full rebuild mode is in order. Next years class is a good start. We need 2020 to be just as good or better.

I am concerned with Steele's coaching ability........not his ability to recruit. I would like to see some veteran experience on his staff.

[QUOTE=bleedXblue;640072]Correct. Full rebuild mode is in order. Next years class is a good start. We need 2020 to be just as good or better.

I am concerned with Steele's coaching ability........not his ability to recruit. I would like to see some veteran experience on his staff

Yep, this probably more than almost anything else.
    Pray the Rosary daily

How different does this team look with someone that can give Q and Scruggs 7-10 minutes of rest per game?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    How different does this team look with someone that can give Q and Scruggs 7-10 minutes of rest per game?
    Last night, Eli Harden was given second half minutes...FOR HANKINS, while Q, Scruggs and Naji are on the floor!!
    Why was Eli not giving rest to Scruggs, Naji or Q?
    By the way, Xavier was outrebounded in the game by double figures, but Hankins is on the bench for Eli?
    Many questions abound.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Last night, Eli Harden was given second half minutes...FOR HANKINS, while Q, Scruggs and Naji are on the floor!!
    Why was Eli not giving rest to Scruggs, Naji or Q?
    By the way, Xavier was outrebounded in the game by double figures, but Hankins is on the bench for Eli?
    Many questions abound.
    Agree on Harden last night.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

And Castlin? He is bringing nothing, especially on the offensive side of the floor. Why does he get 20 minutes?

Sophomore
    there is a strange reluctance to play Welage at anything but a floor spacer. He has an efficient handle, makes few turnovers and few assists(which is what we have point guards for ) but could play a nice wing position, a safety valve and shooter(who could miss 4 and make 3 but needs to get 7 shots). Thet is my biggest complaint and it is not a coincidence that he was on the floor for the Depaul, Butler and Georgetown comeback. Again, not Larry Bird but a good college player who has been somewhat mishandled. I know the last few games he was the inbound defender (because of height) and designated fouler when we were down.

the thoughts expressed by MOHR5150 reminds me of the time Staak was hired. The program was truly low level (though distinct from others I bestow some credit to Tay Baker) and Staak had little to build around other than Anthony Hicks. He ultimately recruited Skywalker Bailey, Jeff Jenkins, Vic Fleming Ralph Lee essentially handing them the keys to the team. They responded quite positively and when Larkin joins XU was off and running for the next 3+ decades, hiccups notwithstanding.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket