Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Care to expand? Because you think Steele forces them out? Because they are fearful of no playing time with good class coming in? Because they are mad about not playing and dont like direction of program?

you think all three are gone?
    I dont have any insight into this, but I will say one thing about harden. I feel for the kid because I don't understand after almost two full years in the program, he still looks completely uncomfortable out there on the court. Is it because he is completely terrified to make a mistake because that means going to the bench, or was his "star" rating really that far off? It's just odd to me he still looks like a scared shitless freshman at this stage in the game.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I dont have any insight into this, but I will say one thing about harden. I feel for the kid because I don't understand after almost two full years in the program, he still looks completely uncomfortable out there on the court. Is it because he is completely terrified to make a mistake because that means going to the bench, or was his "star" rating really that far off? It's just odd to me he still looks like a scared shitless freshman at this stage in the game.
    Yeah I agree. I mean if one of the guys might transfer I would think him. He has really made any jump as a soph on a team that severely lacks depth.

The freshmen though I wouldn't fully understand. Freshman usually dont make a huge impact at X unless they are really special.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Second chance points DePaul’s 18 to our 2. Ball game

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    So was just perusing the roster and noticed that two of james' coaches during his high school career mentioned he was an exceptional shooter. Is he? If he is, why is he getting absolutely zero run? Just something that stood out to me since we have no one that can consistently stretch the floor.
    I too thought he was supposed to be a good shooter. At this point, I would love to see James get the start next game and just see what happens.

Scruggs
    James
    Naji
    Jones
    Hankins

40 minutes of playing time and 4 shot:

Castlin 22 minutes... 1 shot 0-1

Harden 10 minutes... 0 shots

Welage 8 minutes... 1-2
    Last edited by IM4X; 02-09-2019 at 11:59 PM.

Last edited by username; 02-27-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Sophomore
    In all these game where we are ahead with 5 min, it is not that we go cold shooting it is that we don't even shoot, with a turnover or maybe a forced shot at end of shot clock. Everyone is trying to work way in (Scruggs, Marshall spin moves in lane, Goodin probing) which is simply not available at end of game to anybody. We don't even get a shot off that has a chance of being offensively rebounded. Players are bringing their defenders into the way with lack of spacing. It is too late to fix but someone should look at film of all the late losses(Seton Hall, Gtown(road), Depaul, Marquette(home) and see what the common element is. This is sad for me and I am going to Providence nextt week (from Ct) and (why I don't know) see what the interactions are among the players and between players/coaches before game.
    In my minds eye I can recall games when Q(for past 3 years) drove and passed to Tre, JP, Kaiser or Karem for "the dagger". I can't recall any "daggers" this year in the clutch(except Castlin v Gtown), just spinning in the lane begging for a call trying to muscle in a basket. The way defenses are these days (and the fact that refs recognize "walling up" and don't just bail out a driver) makes hero ball impossible; even Duke has won close games with Barrett and Redish hitting jumpers not Zion dunking. How do we get that back with this personnel, I could only see Scruggs(who has the ball) or Welage(who is not in) confidently shooting a shot
    Last edited by whopper; 02-10-2019 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whopper View Post
    In all these game where we are ahead with 5 min, it is not that we go cold shooting it is that we don't even shoot, with a turnover or maybe a forced shot at end of shot clock. Everyone is trying to work way in (Scruggs, Marshall spin moves in lane, Goodin probing) which is simply not available at end of game to anybody. We don't even get a shot off that has a chance of being offensively rebounded. Players are bringing their defenders into the way with lack of spacing. It is too late to fix but someone should look at film of all the late losses(Seton Hall, Gtown(road), Depaul, Marquette(home) and see what the common element is. This is sad for me and I am going to Providence nextt week (from Ct) and (why I don't know) see what the interactions are among the players and between players/coaches before game.
    In my minds eye I can recall games when Q(for past 3 years) drove and passed to Tre, JP, Kaiser or Karem for "the dagger". I can't recall any "daggers" this year in the clutch(except Castlin v Gtown), just spinning in the lane begging for a call trying to muscle in a basket. The way defenses are these days (and the fact that refs recognize "walling up" and don't just bail out a driver) makes hero ball impossible; even Duke has won close games with Barrett and Redish hitting jumpers not Zion dunking. How do we get that back with this personnel, I could only see Scruggs(who has the ball) or Welage(who is not in) confidently shooting a shot
    Its b/c we don't run any kind of offense at all. I don't even know what our offensive sets are called other than dribble around the perimeter. Hope to dump it inside to Jones or Hankins and hopefully they get a shot off. Really, we are very easy to defend. We almost never make the extra pass or two.

Watch our guys and name the last player to do a head fake and get the defender off his feet. I see a team lacking basic basketball IQ and fundamentals. Most of that is coaching..........

Teams need players who want the ball at the end of the game crunch time. In the past, X has had one or two such players each year. This year, however, it appears the team play hot potato with the ball in the last four minutes of close games and they are ending up losses in not so close of a game. No one on this team has the "I'll put the team on my back" personality that it takes to win in crunch time. Not an indictment, just a fact.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    Teams need players who want the ball at the end of the game crunch time. In the past, X has had one or two such players each year. This year, however, it appears the team play hot potato with the ball in the last four minutes of close games and they are ending up losses in not so close of a game. No one on this team has the "I'll put the team on my back" personality that it takes to win in crunch time. Not an indictment, just a fact.
    Do we have anyone with the actual skill to do this ?
    Even Scruggs & Naji are more likely to turn the ball over than make individually forced plays.