Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

10 Years Ago Today!

Where were you 10 years ago today?

I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing 10 years ago today ... I was with my Xavier brothers at the (in)famous SNUGGIE GAME at the Palumbo Center, in Pittsburgh, watching the Duquesne Dukes versus our Mighty Muskies.

This epic alcohol-fueled bus ride and hotel stay included many of our fellow XavierHoops brethren.

My strangely vague, oddly vivid memories of that trip include:
    • A near-death experience for one X fan involving blue jello shots on the bus, who was saved by our resident firefighter/EMT member
    • An XH member who proudly wore Groucho Marx glasses with a penis nose in a swanky bar
    • Multiple XH members trying to pick up chicks with fake boobs, who were nearly 30 years their senior
    • Many wearing navy blue Snuggies with white ropes for belts--including one idiot wearing a Snuggie with a custom-embroidered "Xavier" logo
    • Shannon Russell entering a blog post saying "A bunch of Xavier fans just entered the area dressed as blue friars"
    • The Duquesne student section was decked out in maroon Snuggies because they had caught wind of our foray into the Palumbo Center
    • One of our members giving his spare tickets to hot cheerleaders at the pregame reception, just because
    • Snipe and Fred Garvin yelling at and taunting Duquensne fans throughout the game
    • And my personal favorite - two members of our group ordered a cab--not knowing where they were in the city--and then rode in and paid for that trip after boarding the cab from the side entrance of our hotel--a ride of roughly 85 feet to the front entrance.

There were absurd volumes of drinking and debauchery, followed by more drinking. My liver aged 20 years that weekend.

I'm sure the many other XavierHoops members on the trip have additional memories.

I have to say, it was definitely one of best times I've ever had at an X game, and easily the most fun I ever had involving a Xavier loss.

I will raise a tall frosty mug tonight to celebrate that most momentous event, and to honor the XH members we've lost along the way!
    "Xavier is Franciscan monkspeak for gonads."

- Gregg Doyel on Twitter

This is a classic!! I watched the game on TV. I laughed so hard when they showed the group in the stands wearing snuggies, and then reading the stories after you guys got back.

Snuggies haven't been seen at a Xavier basketball game since that day.

I was at Disneyworld following along here.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Awesome. Never heard the part about the cab until today.

Wow, has it been 10 years? It was a great time. I drove from Cbus to meet the group at the game, then drove to NE Ohio to visit my parents after some interesting moments in a hotel room with several members of the group. Those snuggles were hotter than hell, though. I recall during the game asking some Duquesne fans who were bitching during the game if they realized that they were winning and should be much happier.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    Wow, has it been 10 years? It was a great time. I drove from Cbus to meet the group at the game, then drove to NE Ohio to visit my parents after some interesting moments in a hotel room with several members of the group. Those snuggles were hotter than hell, though. I recall during the game asking some Duquesne fans who were bitching during the game if they realized that they were winning and should be much happier.
    Way to rep the Class of '78!

I thought the whole thing was hilarious, but I was concerned about casualties.
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by Xpectations View Post
    Where were you 10 years ago today?

I can tell you exactly where I was and what I was doing 10 years ago today ... I was with my Xavier brothers at the (in)famous SNUGGIE GAME at the Palumbo Center, in Pittsburgh, watching the Duquesne Dukes versus our Mighty Muskies.

This epic alcohol-fueled bus ride and hotel stay included many of our fellow XavierHoops brethren.

My strangely vague, oddly vivid memories of that trip include:
    • A near-death experience for one X fan involving blue jello shots on the bus, who was saved by our resident firefighter/EMT member
    • An XH member who proudly wore Groucho Marx glasses with a penis nose in a swanky bar
    • Multiple XH members trying to pick up chicks with fake boobs, who were nearly 30 years their senior
    • Many wearing navy blue Snuggies with white ropes for belts--including one idiot wearing a Snuggie with a custom-embroidered "Xavier" logo
    • Shannon Russell entering a blog post saying "A bunch of Xavier fans just entered the area dressed as blue friars"
    • The Duquesne student section was decked out in maroon Snuggies because they had caught wind of our foray into the Palumbo Center
    • One of our members giving his spare tickets to hot cheerleaders at the pregame reception, just because
    • Snipe and Fred Garvin yelling at and taunting Duquensne fans throughout the game
    • And my personal favorite - two members of our group ordered a cab--not knowing where they were in the city--and then rode in and paid for that trip after boarding the cab from the side entrance of our hotel--a ride of roughly 85 feet to the front entrance.

There were absurd volumes of drinking and debauchery, followed by more drinking. My liver aged 20 years that weekend.

I'm sure the many other XavierHoops members on the trip have additional memories.

I have to say, it was definitely one of best times I've ever had at an X game, and easily the most fun I ever had involving a Xavier loss.

I will raise a tall frosty mug tonight to celebrate that most momentous event, and to honor the XH members we've lost along the way!
    It was awesome, despite the fact that somehow we lost to Dookcane that night. I'll never forget that Xavier was on the court warming up with Sean Miller on the sideline and we walked in single file to our upper level seats chanting "Here we Go Muskies...Here we GO!!!" . By that time we had been well fueled by the pre-game reception and other areas of imbibing. Sean looks up at us, starts laughing hysterically and gives us the thumbs up and an arm-crossed X. And yeah, PMThor definitely saved a jello shot choking Nuts 4 XU on the bus, Kahns Krazy trolled the hotel bar afterward for 70 year old cougars, and AtlMuskie made the trip up from the deep south to be with his Xavier brothers. Snipe was the Mayor of the Group, with little authority exerted.
    One thing I know. I'm still proud today that Nuts is my son, and Vee, you were a witness to that Tomfoolery.
    What a night. Haven't been that drunk since.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 02-07-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

All of you make me proud to be a Musketeer Fan.

That story about Miller's reaction is priceless.
    X A V I E R

That was definitely a blurry trip. One of the only things I remember is the amount of food I ordered to the hotel room after the loss.

Lamont, do you remember what I ordered?

I was not there but the thread on this site, coupled with the repeated crowd shots on TV, was epic.