Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    All-Conference
    Was Sean Miller really considered?

I understand you simply can't make that hire, but I'd take him back. You know, assuming he doesn't bring the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    And I'll step up here and reiterate what I said on a post in the Women's thread. I too like me a LOT of Greg, but his hires have been a bit questionable, or at least incomplete, so far. Not just in basketball. We'll see if Billy Connors works out for baseball, and I sure hope so, but BigMoe's points here are valid.
    Greg has done a very good job in many off the court respects, but fundraising has been tightly tied to our Flagship Sport success. What happens if the Flagship starts to sink?
    No, I damn sure do not want it to, and I hope that my questions are soon answered in a positive way, but it is fair for BigMoe to bring this up. We play with the Big Boys now people and there is not much room for error, nor any sympathy by your conference mates.
    I agree with both of you, but not giving Steele a chance to get through his first season with a questionable line up could be a recipe for a bigger disaster. What if, for the sake of argument, XU says, "Coach, we have little room for error here and this doesn't seem to be working, we need to move in a different direction." Not saying it would but what then happens to the 5 recruits that are coming, what if they all say you know what, there is no stability there and I want out. I believe it is ok to question what is happening right now, but you have to support him 100% or things get ugly. I coached various levels for 15+ years and have been through years like this, I think it improves next year and patience is required.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

I understand you simply can't make that hire, but I'd take him back. You know, assuming he doesn't bring the FBI.
    The rumor I heard from several different people was that Miller said he would come back. He also said he wouldn't interview- he had to first be offered the job. Due to his baggage, X declined.

As for X-Band post- I think it was SD State coach.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    The rumor I heard from several different people was that Miller said he would come back. He also said he wouldn't interview- he had to first be offered the job. Due to his baggage, X declined.

As for X-Band post- I think it was SD State coach.
    Yeah but that was Miller running away from a bad situation. Do you really want that guy? Would he stick around for 10 years? I don't know.......

Trust me, I would love to have Sean Miller on the sideline......but under the circumstances...........

Id take him back. My all time favorite X coach, with the exception of his exit strategy

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    Id take him back. My all time favorite X coach, with the exception of his exit strategy
    I preferred his exit strategy to that of Thad Matta. We were at the Butler County Steak Fry and Thad was asked if he was interested in the Ohio State job. He flat out said he was not interested and not a candidate. The next day, maybe the day after that, he’s announced as their new head coach. My wife is still pissed about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

My all time favorite coach.

Think Archie Miller would be a better hire? I do not.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Yeah but that was Miller running away from a bad situation. Do you really want that guy? Would he stick around for 10 years? I don't know.......

Trust me, I would love to have Sean Miller on the sideline......but under the circumstances...........
    "But for" the circumstances, I would have rehired Miller in a second. Unfortunately, the "but for" is a really, really big issue. I thought X made the right choice by not getting near him.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Think Archie Miller would be a better hire? I do not.
    Time will tell....he was very good at Dayton and though indiana has struggled this year, he may still get them into the tourney and then anything can happen. We have nothing to go by with Steele at this point...he could turn out to be great, he could be an absolute bust.
    Last edited by Xville; 02-06-2019 at 05:44 PM.