Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I've heard that Kelsey took the UMass job before even visiting the facilities. After he looked at the facilities, he didn't like what he saw and decided not to take the job.
    You won't find a bigger critic of Pat than I, but you don't even have half the story. There is much about Pat to be critical of, but he handled that UMASS situation the absolute best way he could given what he learned in the locker room minutes before his presser. That situation should not be a strike against him, and again, I'm far from his biggest fan.

Some criticisms of Steele are fair: for example, the defense has been extremely disappointing. But if you think Steele's seat should be hot you are ignorant. What do you want him to do? He has 5 players who are Big East caliber players. There really isn't much that Steele can do. It is an adjustment to becoming a head coach. I think the two best comparisons for this season are Miller's first year (2004-2005) and the season after the brawl (2012-2013). Xavier lost Sato, Chalmers, and Myles from an Elite 8 team. Had good young players who would be the core for the later successes (Doellman, Cage, Burrell, Duncan). Xavier lost Holloway, Lyons, Frease, Wells, and Andre Walker (the entire starting 5). Xavier this year lost Bluiett, Macura, O'Mara, Kanter, and Gates.

2005: Missed tournament
    2006: Won 4 games in 4 days to make NCAA Tournament (14 seed)
    2007: 9 Seed. One free throw or a correctly enforced call from the Sweet 16
    2008: 3 Seed. Elite 8.
    2009: 4 seed. Sweet 16. Very nearly another Elite 8 (Derrick Brown's foot was just a little too big)

2013: Missed tournament.
    2014: Play-in-game (12 seed).
    2015: 6 Seed. Sweet 16. Played Arizona competitively in the Sweet 16.
    2016: 2 Seed. Took a questionable call and a miracle shot to lose.
    2017: 11 Seed (largely due to injuries and a certain Davis being an idiot). Elite 8.
    2018: 1 Seed. Big East Champs. JP fouled out after only committing 2 fouls and Naji was banged up.

Year 1 were completely rebuilding years. Year 2 sneak into the tournament. Year 3 have a good season. Rolling by year 4. Year 5 and on sustain that success.
    The rest of the season it is key to have Scruggs and Tyrique continue their elevated level of play, have Naji continue to take steps, and have Q bounce back from his funk. If Harden, Kennedy, or James want to be here long-term they need to prove themselves down the stretch. Xavier has a good class coming in (Harvey could take it next level). If they add a grad transfer at a position where they need help then they should compete for an NCAA Tournament bid again next year. The 2020 class is off to an excellent start with Dwon Odom and they are in on other high level guys. Crush that class and Xavier could have it rolling by year 4 just as Miller and Mack did.
    Last edited by RetireFiftyTu; 02-05-2019 at 03:30 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireFiftyTu View Post
    Some criticisms of Steele are fair: for example, the defense has been extremely disappointing. But if you think Steele's seat should be hot you are ignorant.
    I assume you're talking to me. I don't think Steele's seat should be hot and nothing in my OP would have led you to think that. I'm not real subtle on here, so if I thought his seat should be hot after 23 games, which would be asinine, I would simply say so.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    Travis may end up being the right guy, and if he, not only will I be thrilled as a Xavier guy, but I'll eat a plate of crow long the way.

However, this thread was intended to point out that Christopher is 0 for 3 in Basketball hires BEFORE making this hire, so it does seem to fair to wonder if that part of the job is in his wheelhouse. Once is an aberration, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend, so four times....seems to be worth a discussion.
    To me what he did at Bowling Green is completely irrelevant in terms of hiring coaches. Means zero. It is apples and oranges.

Not to be flippant but I dont care about the womens basketball hire at XU either.

So no I don't consider him 0-3 in basketball hires. I think he is 0-0 with a win or loss pending, which we wont know the result of for another 2 years.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I assume you're talking to me. I don't think Steele's seat should be hot and nothing in my OP would have led you to think that. I'm not real subtle on here, so if I thought his seat should be hot after 23 games, which would be asinine, I would simply say so.
    Not a direct response to you. It just seems like over the past week or so people are getting frustrated and blasting Steele. I don't really know what else you want him to do. And your original post is fair. Greg Christopher has not had great success hiring basketball coaches. You would feel more comfortable with Mike Bobinski making the hire but I think he would have made the same decision.

I mean but you are questioning his hire after 23 games which is also kind of asinine. If you weren't there would be no point to this thread. I think you already said you wouldn't have hired Steele.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 02-05-2019 at 03:50 PM.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    To me what he did at Bowling Green is completely irrelevant in terms of hiring coaches. Means zero. It is apples and oranges.

Not to be flippant but I dont care about the womens basketball hire at XU either.

So no I don't consider him 0-3 in basketball hires. I think he is 0-0 with a win or loss pending, which we wont know the result of for another 2 years.
    Got it!

To be fair I did not go to XU, I am just a lifelong XU basketball fan, so I get those who did may have more invested in all XU sports.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I mean but you are questioning his hire after 23 games which is also kind of asinine. If you weren't there would be no point to this thread. I think you already said you wouldn't have hired Steele.
    I'm not, I'm directly questioning Greg's hires over his career as a Division 1 AD. I think the hires at BG are far more germane to this conversation than you clearly do, which is fine, but at no point did I intend for this thread to be about Travis (we have enough of those going on, to be sure). His ability to hire, which, behind raising money, is the most important skill in his job description, seems to be a fair topic.

I would not have, which, to be honest, is worth exactly zero. Who cares what an anonymous nobody thinks...but I was asked directly, so I answered it. I said at the time I didn't like the staff he put together, and I was bashed. I also said in the fall we would be bad, and was again bashed. Now I say let's look at Greg's hires, and again, bashed. I don't mind being the whipping boy on here, but when these things all come to fruition, I will certainly remember exactly who was dishing out the punches. I'm at the Cintas for every game, so, you know, it is good to have a long memory.

I want nothing more than for Xavier to be awesome, otherwise, I wouldn't be here. However, I think talking about this topic is fair. I also think talking about a staff full of recruiters with no veteran on the bench was fair. I also think talking about this team's clear lack of respect for Travis is fair.

With all of that said, I hope he goes on a 10 year run to end 10 year runs, hanging banners is fun -- this stuff, obviously, is not.

Sophomore
    I will also reiterate, since apparently my ability to communicate with the written word is dodgy at best, that I like Greg, I think he has done many great things around campus during his tenure, including huge improvements in the Cintas Center. I have heard him speak many times and he seems bright, thoughtful, and like a guy who wouldn't take any decision lightly. I'm 100% sure his decision to hire Travis is what he felt was best; and I'm sure if asked, publicly or privately, he'd reiterate that confidence today. As he should.