Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    I'm not, I'm directly questioning Greg's hires over his career as a Division 1 AD.
    And indirectly questioning his hire of Travis.

This thread wouldn't exist if the Muskies were 18-5, because his hiring history wouldn't be relevant if Travis was off to booming success.

I am not saying it is wrong to be nervous or upset about the shitty season, or that Steele might not be the right hire. I am saying 23 games is too early to tell for a 1st year head coach. Let's give the coach some time.

Don't pretend to not be questioning the hire of Steele after 23 games as you are questioning the man who hired him's ability to hire successful basketball coaches. Just own it. A lot of people are which I think is silly this early on but obviously things arent off to a great start and people are questioning Steele.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

What were the options outside of Steele and Kelsey? Just curious for those that are critical of Steele who would of stepped into this situation and done better?

In Steele's defense, being a first year coach in either the MCC or the A-10 is markedly different than a first year coach in the BE. I understand that relative to the talent when X went into the MCC and A-10, X has more talent now, but the issue is the BE from top to bottom is big time basketball. Teams in the BE who have struggled lately were basketball powers at one point, DePaul, SJU and G-town. The bottom half of the MCC and A-10 were cupcakes and X's talent at the time could hold their own, especially since X was a growth stock and increasing in talent value. Today, the talent cannot compete when a new coach is faced with coaching his first year in a tough, tough league and has marginal existing talent, one so-so grad transfer and two grad transfer busts and Mack having whiffed on the 2018 recruiting class. The 2019 team should be better, especially in terms of competitiveness, but a big part of it is lining up against great BE talent night in and night out. Next year is big for Coach Steele because if this year repeats itself next year, he'll have no place to hide IMO.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Supporting Member
    Everyone slow down and stop throwing everyone under the bus. We lost five very good players from last years team. We don't have five very good players this year; equals bad record. We will be back. Go XAVIER.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    And indirectly questioning his hire of Travis.
    Sign Moe up for the NFL. The guy is backpedaling at shocking speeds.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Sign Moe up for the NFL. The guy is backpedaling at shocking speeds.
    I am?

Quote Originally Posted by X_ATL View Post
    What were the options outside of Steele and Kelsey? Just curious for those that are critical of Steele who would of stepped into this situation and done better?
    NKU coach, South Dakota coach, Steve Alford snd Sean Miller, and there were others.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Are you sure it was the South Dakota coach and not the South Dakota State coach (TJ Otzelberger)? John Brannen is the NKU coach you're thinking of.

Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireFiftyTu View Post
    Not a direct response to you. It just seems like over the past week or so people are getting frustrated and blasting Steele. I don't really know what else you want him to do.
    Oh, I don't know. And not to blast you FiftyTu, but how about showing some improvement during the year....Kinda like Illinois has, you know, the same team that Xavier beat in Hawaii? Two teams going different directions. Xavier- losing memory of lessons formerly taught with no effective new ones, while Illinois- Learning Lessons and getting better.

And yeah. I'm not afraid to say that I have questions. Just not lots of answers yet.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 02-06-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    I will also reiterate, since apparently my ability to communicate with the written word is dodgy at best, that I like Greg, I think he has done many great things around campus during his tenure, including huge improvements in the Cintas Center. I have heard him speak many times and he seems bright, thoughtful, and like a guy who wouldn't take any decision lightly. I'm 100% sure his decision to hire Travis is what he felt was best; and I'm sure if asked, publicly or privately, he'd reiterate that confidence today. As he should.
    And I'll step up here and reiterate what I said on a post in the Women's thread. I too like me a LOT of Greg, but his hires have been a bit questionable, or at least incomplete, so far. Not just in basketball. We'll see if Billy Connors works out for baseball, and I sure hope so, but BigMoe's points here are valid.
    Greg has done a very good job in many off the court respects, but fundraising has been tightly tied to our Flagship Sport success. What happens if the Flagship starts to sink?
    No, I damn sure do not want it to, and I hope that my questions are soon answered in a positive way, but it is fair for BigMoe to bring this up. We play with the Big Boys now people and there is not much room for error, nor any sympathy by your conference mates.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell