Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Steve Alford is just sitting around collecting checks from UCLA. He is a big name, but isn't without baggage. However, he brings instant credibility and is less expensive because UCLA is likely still paying him, and will be for some time. He would be a good 3-5 year bridge to his next job. In the meantime, he probably gets good recruits and wins lots of games.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Oh, I don't know. And not to blast you FiftyTu, but how about showing some improvement during the year....Kinda like Illinois has, you know, the same team that Xavier beat in Hawaii? Two teams going different directions. Xavier- losing memory of lessons formerly taught with no effective new ones, while Illinois- Learning Lessons and getting better.

And yeah. I'm not afraid to say that I have questions. Just not lots of answers yet.
    If Xavier finds a way to win 2 of Providence, Marquette, and Georgetown the season has an entirely different tone and feel to it. X would have been 5-5 with 2 of the next 3 at home. Then we are talking ourselves into maintaining the .500 or better streak in conference play and maybe making a miracle run to win 3 games in 3 days. Now Xavier lost those games because many of the same issues that have hurt them all season happened again so that is frustrating and a little concerning. But in my opinion I am not overly worried because:
    1. Most of the core of next years team has gotten better
    2. Xavier hasn't been consistently blown out. Xavier has been right there in almost every Big East game. At Marquette and at Creighton were bad but otherwise they have been very competitive. They are just a player or two short this year.
    Now the defense (or lack thereof) has been really baffling and to me that is the most concerning thing because Xavier had a lot of roster turnover this past offseason and will again after this season.

So a fair criticism and concern would be that Xavier has not improved as the year has gone along. In this particular season that doesn't worry me but you certainly aren't wrong if you think that is problematic.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Yeah but that was Miller running away from a bad situation. Do you really want that guy? Would he stick around for 10 years? I don't know.......

Trust me, I would love to have Sean Miller on the sideline......but under the circumstances...........
    I would have loved to have Miller back given he was cleared which was impossible to do. I think he would have stayed a long, long time. He saw the other side of the unrealistic expectations and lack of appreciation at a close to blue blood program.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by vee4xu View Post
    Steve Alford is just sitting around collecting checks from UCLA. He is a big name, but isn't without baggage. However, he brings instant credibility and is less expensive because UCLA is likely still paying him, and will be for some time. He would be a good 3-5 year bridge to his next job. In the meantime, he probably gets good recruits and wins lots of games.
    Wait, what?

Steve Alford is turrible.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by RetireFiftyTu View Post
    2. Xavier hasn't been consistently blown out. Xavier has been right there in almost every Big East game. At Marquette and at Creighton were bad but otherwise they have been very competitive.
    I was saying this the other day- Xavier/Steele are close, almost every game could be decided by a couple of bounces going our way. Then I realized being close in almost every BE game isn't saying as much considering it is the worst level of play we have seen in the new BE.

Personal Bias: I think the world of Greg Christopher. I have had several occasions to introduce him to groups of other alumni at events and each time I have done so I have proclaimed that he is the best AD in the Big East. I believe that. I also have close family friends that played Women's Basketball at Bowling Green when Greg was the AD there. So I'm familiar with the coaching searches that were conducted at that time. Disclaimer aside:

Comparing his basketball hires at BGSU to X is not an apple to apple comparison. Jennifer Roos was with the BGSU program since 2001. Her first two years as Heach Coach her teams were 54-16 including a MAC title. Nobody thought she was a bad hire. Her next four years were not as successful and she was let go after Greg left. By the way, Greg left BGSU in May of 2013. Roos was 30-5 during the 2013-2014 season. Clearly, Greg should have fired her before he left.

When Louis Orr was hired in 2007, he was fresh off an NCAA tournament appearance as Head Coach of Seton Hall in the Big East (he sat out a year after Seton Hall fired him). He was the highest regarded coach that interviewed for the job. It's not like Greg turned down John Wooden and Coach K to hire Louis Orr. Orr had to deal with a post-Dan Dakich team that finished 12th in the MAC the year before. We could debate whether he held off too long on getting rid of Orr, but that's beside the point.

So.. which candidate did you want him to hire this past season who was a real possibility? Steve Alford did such a bang up job at UCLA he's now being paid not to coach. I don't think Sean Miller was a viable option, though he's had a better year than Travis this season. Your other option was apparently Pat Kelsey, and I think there's a genuine debate on whether he would be the right person for this job at the time Travis was hired. Once again, Greg didn't pick Travis over Coach K or John Wooden.

I believe Greg is the right AD for X and Travis will prove to be the right Coach for X going forward. It may require patience, something that is in short supply in the instant gratification era. The way some of you act, it's Greg and Travis' fault that Trevon and JP were allowed to graduate and leave the team.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

I agree with Muskie.

Look, it's always fair to wonder whether we have the right guy for the future prior to it being proven.

That said, I'm really not that fearful that Travis isn't (and wasn't) the right guy. I still feel very good about the hire and our future.

I just wish it would get here faster.
    "Xavier is Franciscan monkspeak for gonads."

- Gregg Doyel on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Wait, what?
    Just moving the conversation along into another direction.
    Pray the Rosary daily