Sophomore

Character Building Time

Going forward the team owes it to themselves and their fans to play their best ball and try to redeem the year knowing full well that it is "almost" impossible. Seton Hall and Providence came into Cintas and handed it to us (in winnable games), Creighton spanked us and Villanova won a well played game. Our comeback at Depaul may have hurt them in the future. Georgetown paid us back and Butler is waiting to do the same. St Johns is unknown but can be scary. Lets see what happens going forward and let us play the spoiler for a change. We know what has to be tightened up, lets see if we can do it. Then on to MSG. We are knowledgeable fans, not front runners, and if each individual game is played well going forward that is really all we can ask. We will know if we are learning our lessons and building character. I live in Conn and will be there at MSG Wednesday, and my fondest wish is to have to scalp a ticket for Thursday, then Friday, then (dare I say) Saturday. It is sill a great game (after watching the Super Bowl I am reminded of my love for basketball) and a team that has given us a lot of enjoyment.

Supporting Member
    Next two games (home against Depaul and Creighton) are extremely winnable, and I think for the psyche of this team, it is important that they go 2-0 since the rest of the schedule is an absolute bear. Trying to not be negative but I think the reality is, if this team doesn't go 2-0, they could conceivably not win another regular season game. The schedule is just too tough and there is only so many mental and physical beatings a team can take without any payoff.

I am there with you about the Super Bowl. Went to bed at halftime, best decision of the weekend. Now let's hope the Muskies can give us something to smile about over the next 6 weeks.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Next two games (home against Depaul and Creighton) are extremely winnable, and I think for the psyche of this team, it is important that they go 2-0 since the rest of the schedule is an absolute bear. Trying to not be negative but I think the reality is, if this team doesn't go 2-0, they could conceivably not win another regular season game. The schedule is just too tough and there is only so many mental and physical beatings a team can take without any payoff.
    That might me true, but last year Depaul missed a 3 at buzzer to tie us in last game(we needed to win Big East Season) and we needed a 4 pt play from Tre against Georgetown; St Johns played 2 tough games where they were up late. Those teams had no shot at anything either. For next year it is important that every game be played well and hard regardless of results, and on senior night I would like Hankins, Welage, Castlin to think it was worth it to have played for Xavier. I am a sentimental 63 yr oldX father of 2 who just got back now from my 60 and over 3 times a week basketball game and want to get more from sports now than just an endless cycle of games. Something good CAN come from this.
    Last edited by whopper; 02-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.