Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

XU Player Stats & Analysis 1990-2019

I recently compiled a data set of XU Player Statistics from players going all the way back to 1990.

I caputured career statistics from any player that played 1000 minutes (with a few exceptions) or more in their career. There were 76 overall. You will all know these guys.

I pulled the following stats: Games, Minutes, FG, GFA, 3P, 3PA, FT, FTA, OREB, DREB, REB, AST, BLK, STL, TOV, PF, PTS.

From these stats, I can calculate:

1) Per game stats

2) Per Minute Stats

3) ratios and percentages, such as 3pt attempts per minute played, and % of FT's as a total number of PTS scored

I did this so I could put this years team in context. But as I look at the data, there is a TON of other insight to be gained.

Some sidenotes and expections: there were alot of players from early on where their career minutes were not avilable. I KNOW they played 1000 minites, based on their stats, but I didnt have the actual number available. I had to make the judgement call on a few players, for instance Duwaun Rose, Kevin Carr and Reggie Butler were all judged as having played less than 1000 minutes based on their stats and my recollection....

I decided that I WOULD include 1 year transfers that played less than 1000 minutes. Part of this purpose was to evaluate Castlin, Hankins and Welage, none of which had even played a full season. So, Gaston, Bernard and Kanter were included as well since they were just 1 yr players.

Offensive and Defernsive rebound detail was not available going back to the mid-90s.

For 3 PT shooting stats, I limited the pool of players to guys that took 100 or more 3's in their career, or at least 30% of their shots were from 3 (44 Players in this pool).

Overall, I have 76 total players. 56 of those players can be evaluated on a "Per Minute" Basis, and 53 Players can be compared using Rebounding Details. 45 Guys are in the 3 Pt Pool.

Here it goes.....

Quentin Goodin

Per Minute Notable Rankings (out of 56 players):
    Rebs: 49
    Ast: 1
    Stls: 18
    Blocks: 40
    TO's: 10 (as in the 10th MOST TO per minute)
    PF: 40

As a Shooter, career Percentage Ranks (out of 76 Players):
    2PT%: 66 of 76
    3Pt %: 38 of 44
    FT%: 45 ofr 76

Other:
    Percent of his shots from 3 Rank: 34 of 45
    3Pt Attempts per minute: 28 of 44

What these stats confirm that I see with my eyes: Cant shoot....at all. Distributes at a high rate. Doesnt really rebound, or accumulate defensive stats. Doesnt foul alot

What these stats tell me that I DONT see with my eyes: Does not take a disproportionate % of his shots from 3. Doesnt really take that many 3's.

How my critique of Q might change: You cant tell a player to NEVER take a 3.....and Q is not taking that many. He just needs to make more of them. I wonder about his #1 ranking for Asstists per minute. I need to study his rate from last year to his rate this year, since Macura and TB are not catching and shooting....

Naji Marshall

Notable Rankings:
    3Pt %: 44 of 45
    Percent of his shots from 3: 35 of 44
    Shooting % From 2: 23 of 76
    Percent of point scored from FT line: 23 of 76
    Shooting % from FT Line: 28 of 76
    Turnover per Minute Rank: 6 of 56 (As in the 6th MOST turnovers per minute)

Concusions: He cant shoot from deep. He can score from 2, and gets to the line when he drives. But he turns the ball over.

How to fix it?: More tempo, and open court chances. He can finish, but when it gets slow, he struggles to create. Speed it up.

Scruggs

3Pt %: 6 of 45
    % of Shots from 2: 30 of 76
    % of Pts from the foul Line: 62 of 76
    Assist per Minute: 10 of 56
    Steals per Minute: 10 of 56
    Turnovers per Minute: 11 of 56
    Fouls Per Minute: 15 of 56

Conclusion: Seems to take the right amount of 3's. But, his rate of getting to the FT line seems low. He's gotta play a little bigger and create more contact for some freebies. He's active, with high turnover, steals, and foul rates....

more soon.
    Last edited by MHettel; 02-09-2019 at 01:34 PM.

Sophomore
    this is good stuff and I can only imagine how much time it took.

How about this time wasting challenge...

Name the TOP 5 in Career Points per Minute For XU players since 1990 (no cheating....and it's interesting)

Jordan Crawford (if he's eligible)
    Romain Sato
    David West
    Darnell Williams
    Trevon Bluiett
    Jeff Massey (if Crawford not eligible)

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Jordan Crawford (if he's eligible)
    Romain Sato
    David West
    Darnell Williams
    Trevon Bluiett
    Jeff Massey (if Crawford not eligible)
    Thats 6...but ok!

Crawford is eligible.
    Last edited by MHettel; 02-08-2019 at 10:19 PM.

No, it's five. I'm not sure if Crawford meets your eligibility criteria. If he does, take Massey off my list. If he doesn't, keep Massey on my list.

I dont have the minutes for Massey. So, that's not a wrong answer. Your 5 is sensible....but not right.

None of those five would really be "interesting", as you put it, so I assumed it must be wrong. Surely at least one or two of them are right (Crawford HAS to be, no?).

Continued...

Tyrique Jones

2Pt FG%: 4 of 76
    FT%: 66 of 76
    Offensive Rebounds per Minute: 2 of 53
    Defensive Rebounds per minute: 12 of 53
    2Pt FG %: 4 of 76
    Blocks per Minute: 10 of 56
    Fouls per minute: 2 of 76
    Points per minute:13 of 76

Advice: Stop fouling, start dunking.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    None of those five would really be "interesting", as you put it, so I assumed it must be wrong. Surely at least one or two of them are right (Crawford HAS to be, no?).
    Yes, you'e got several right. What is interesting is the guys you got wrong.....
    Last edited by MHettel; 02-08-2019 at 10:42 PM.