Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    My mom, and grandmother use to make it; I'm 84 so they are gone. I use to go to Findlay Market, but I found Gliers to be a good replacement. I most often slice it into patties put it on a pan and place it in the oven on broil to get it toasty. Eat it straight up or sometime on buttered toast. Kroger last week had Gliers on sale buck off a roll; stocked up. Mom use to fry it in black skillet. A Cincinnati treat.

Supporting Member
    Go to goetta recipe if you want to make your own.

Eckerlin's thin sliced and pan fried. High heat so the outside is nice and crispy but the inside is gooey.

Hated it as a kid. We also made our own. Ten siblings, money was tight. Who knows what actually went into it and how consistent the recipe was.

As a adult, grew to appreciate it and do enjoy it.

Not exactly a goetta worshiper, but I appreciate it's versatility. Savory or sweet. Kind of like grits. Shrimp and grits, eggs and sausage, or butter ad honey / brown sugar equally yummy.

Not to derail the goetta love fest, but I am also curious about other regional, similar concoctions such as Scrapple in PE. Are they comparably and similarly made, cooked, enjoyed?
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Hated it as a kid. We also made our own. Ten siblings, money was tight. Who knows what actually went into it and how consistent the recipe was.

As a adult, grew to appreciate it and do enjoy it.

Not exactly a goetta worshiper, but I appreciate it's versatility. Savory or sweet. Kind of like grits. Shrimp and grits, eggs and sausage, or butter ad honey / brown sugar equally yummy.

Not to derail the goetta love fest, but I am also curious about other regional, similar concoctions such as Scrapple in PE. Are they comparably and similarly made, cooked, enjoyed?
    My mom grew up with scrapple, but did not like it. Who knows what she was eating, but she likes goetta much more since I introduced it to her a few years ago.

nothing better than an egg white omelette and goetta and swiss cheese

I get it (when in town) at the Blue Jay in Northside.

I have no idea how they cook it.

No one in South Carolina knows what it is.

(But, we've got great grits!)
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

When I was a kid I'd put syrup on it. Or jelly. It's good as a side to pancakes. Haven't had goetta in many years. Always sliced, skillet for pan fried.

Was getting some brats at Butcher Bill’s in Mason yesterday and noticed he had fresh goetta. Got a pound and fried some this morning. You forget how fresh is so much better (Glier’s is still a good alternative).

Glad NUTS started this thread yesterday.

Freshman
    Can anyone share a recipe for homemade goetta?