Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do you cook your goetta?

In the oven? Skillet? Cast iron? Griddle? From a butcher? Packaged in the meat case? Use the stuff from Findlay market exclusively?

I was raised on butcher made goetta from Judy’s Meats in Deer Park. It came in a loaf and wrapped in white butcher paper. I was living on my own before I discovered Glier’s, Eckerllin’s, or that I could find it next to the bacon at Kroger. So my goetta game has changed over the years, and I’m curious to know the best way or new ways to cook the stuff.

I tend to buy a log of Gliers and slice it, then place it in a cast iron skillet. If I’m patient, I use low heat, crisp the outside of the patties and aim for a soft middle. Other times I will melt the patties and spread out the goetta before it develops that crispy skin into a pile of goodness. This filters crisp pieces throughout the pile, and is still delicious.

This thread is an ode to goetta of all kinds. I want recipes, stories of how goetta changed your life, cooking styles, brand names, and any tiger pertinent information you can share about this stuff.

No haters please. This is a goetta love fest, if you want to bash the regions favorite pork based product, start a new thread for your discussion.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

One of my favorite is to pan fry patties then cut them up to use in a scrambled egg burrito. I just add onions, cheese, and hot sauce.

Every year we deep fry a bunch turkeys before thanksgiving at my parish and some bring goetta balls to deep fry. Never done this myself but if someone has a good recipe for this, would love to try.

Freshman
    My father has been making it once or twice a year ever since my grandmother wasn't able to any more. I've never resorted to trying store bought goetta since I've always had a brick or two of it in my freezer from his batches. Since I was a kid, we always spread it out on a griddle, nice and thin and cook it till it starts to get crisp edges, then pile it on a plate and eat it with a side of toast.

My wife cuts the Gliers into patties and fries it in a skillet until the edges are a little crispy. If she’s not working, it’s part of our big Sunday breakfast each week.

Have you had the Goetta Bombs at Delicio’s Coal Fired Pizza? Goetta, mozzarella cheese, marinara sauce, inside a thin, soft, pizza crust wrap, and then covered in a green chili queso sauce. Absolutely incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I learned something today! If it wasn’t a BIg Dan or available at Zips, I probably missed it.

Supporting Member
    Cook it in a skillet. Mash it up and keep working it/flipping it until it’s crispy throughout. Eat it by itself, on toast with a fried egg, or for a sweet treat, mix in some grape jelly. Goetta is second only to bacon!
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by kane79 View Post
    My father has been making it once or twice a year ever since my grandmother wasn't able to any more. I've never resorted to trying store bought goetta since I've always had a brick or two of it in my freezer from his batches. Since I was a kid, we always spread it out on a griddle, nice and thin and cook it till it starts to get crisp edges, then pile it on a plate and eat it with a side of toast.
    I just hope you retain the pleasure of grinding the pork by hand.
    I have seen only two great plays: Hamlet and put the ball into the basket

Best Goetta: Eckerlin’s Meats Findlay Market

Quote Originally Posted by BENWAR View Post
    I usually cook it in slices from the “tube” but the method of throwing it all in skillet makes sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by BENWAR View Post
    The only place I buy goetta. I ask them to slice it, then I fry in a skillet until crispy on both sides and eat it plain. Wouldn't want to dilute it!