View Poll Results: What grade do you give Travis Steele

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

    1 1.49%
  • B

    13 19.40%
  • C

    29 43.28%
  • D

    21 31.34%
  • F

    3 4.48%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 110
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    X has 3 talented guys after that they have nobody. Sure they may have 3 top 25 recruits of all time but they also have 7 guys that suck. So no dude you come on. I was being facetious about being impressed with 11 wins but Steele is going to be a very very good coach. You will see the next two years.

    As of today... the only thing we know for sure about coach is that he can recruit.


    He has not improved one bit as the season has worn on.


    Thatís concerning. But Iím not giving up just yet. Iím just saying, you have to take some of the blame when you have a rim protector like Hankins, and 3 on ball defenders like Scruggs, Goodin, & Marshall and yet have the worst defense X has had in at least 18 seasons and it maybe longer if we had more kenpom data.

  2. #52
    Administrator Muskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    12,163
    I think this team is better than when the season started.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant Ö isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

    Follow XH on Twitter

    Follow XH on Facebook

  3. #53
    Freshman
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    The F-G-O
    Posts
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    I think this team is better than when the season started.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

    No doubt... Look no further than Q’s recent mastery of the 3-pt bank-shot.

  4. #54
    Hall of Famer paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    13,965
    There's no question that the last 20 years have spoiled us as a fan base.
    We have become use to a higher level of basketball than the days when some of us became fans in the 60's.

    It's OK to grade our performance, and we'll suffer a lot a disappointments as we try to right the ship.
    It's not going to be easy, but just for a little perspective, note the following:

    1 - It took Mike Krzyzewski 5 years at Duke before he had a winning conference record

    2 - The year after a national championship in 2009, North Carolina had a 5-11 conference record, did not make the dance, and of its top 8 players, 6 of them were McDonald's All Americans

    OK, we're not Duke or UNC. But the Muskies have given us years of great basketball and a extra reason to be proud of our school.
    Let's give Travis a little leeway, and see what he can do. I'm hoping for good things, but it may take a while.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  5. #55
    Supporting Member fellahmuskie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    980
    Good post. I don't know if Steele will end up being a great coach or not, I don't know if anyone can know one way or the other yet, but there would be nothing better than watching him grow and thrive in his role after a bumpy start.

    This season may be nearly lost, but I am still excited to see what happens. Can Steele finally get these guys to buy in on defense? I sure hope so.

  6. #56
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    11,820
    Anyone wanting Travis gone after this year is crazy. There arent a lot of those but some. He is going to get 3 years. The 3rd year needs to be a successful one, especially if year 2 is bad as well. After year 3 I think that is when some real evaluation of where the program is at will be needed. We are going to have an influx of talent next year. Young talent but I cant see not making an improvement next year. They only guy we lose (pending any transfers etc) of any real value in my opinion is Hankins.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  7. #57
    Sophomore
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    604
    Dude's overwhelmed. Maybe he won't be after some times passes but he sure his now.

  8. #58
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    11,820
    Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    Dude's overwhelmed. Maybe he won't be after some times passes but he sure his now.
    I think the same could be said for our last couple head coaches in their first year.

    Mack had a successful 1st year because he had some serious talent on that team (nice getting Crawford eligible for your first year) but he was overwhelmed a lot and made some very questionable decisions early in his coaching career. Miller almost went no postseason in his first 2 years minus winning 4 in 4 days in his second season.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  9. #59
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    17,424
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanblockXU View Post
    I have to go with a D+.
    While the cupboard was left with very little depth, it was not left with little talent. We have mutilple highly rated guys that Steele should have been able to motivate and coach up.
    Think of it this way.. 247 Sports has a ranking of the top 25 recruits xavier has ever had commit.
    3 of the top 10 players from that list are.... on this team.
    Xavier's all time #2, #5 & #8 are on this team and start. Tyrique Jones is also on this team and in the top 25 all time.
    The Talent is there.
    What I find to be the most embarrassing thing: The Defense.
    This is the worst Defense a Xavier team has had in the Kenpom Era which dates back to 2001. And it's not just the worst, its the worst by 30 spots or so.
    I truly believe there isn't a person on this staff that knows how to coach defense. And Xavier may need to make a coaching change on the assistant side to get some help in that regard.
    The big east is not a defensive league and yet, we are dead last. Its about as bad as a high major team can be.
    How bad you ask?
    Only 7 teams in the power 7 leagues ( I included the American) are worse than Xavier defensively and most are in the Pac 12 and the American. For Example.... EAST CAROLINA has a better defense than Xavier. They have a first year coach with far less talent and yet, they play better defense. Thats a joke.
    Dude, stop with the double spacing!! (Just kidding)
    Sorry, but he gets no more than a D with me. There is high rated talent on this team with Two Top 60's, the proven D2 POY, A strong other big, a solid PG, and a respectable bench player, who for some reason never has had a chance to prove himself in extended minutes. There are also a couple of interchangeable bench guys for O & D. Fact is, Steele misread this roster (Best D team?), has not defined roles well, has been inconsistent in player game management, runs an easily defensible 4 out 1 in offense that does not use his best player's talents (NO shots for Paul Scruggs for the first EIGHTEEN MINUTES yesterday), doesn't have a player cut to the foul line vs a zone, and NEVER runs a back door. On defense, in a zone they don't stay packed in (see lousy outside shooting Providence in that game) and the pack line/hedge is carved up by any experienced coach running a Pick and Roll. And we STILL give up tons of 3's. The constant turnover issues are precisely the result of a lack of defined roles and uncertainty on offense.
    Sorry folks. This has been a SheetShow and now Steele is pulling a Mick and blaming the players. Dude, it is your responsibility to figure out a system that puts your guys in their best positions to be successful, and Steele hasn't done it. The team is worse and the effort is slacking.
    This may be another Brandon Miller/Butler situation. I sincerely hope not, but there needs to be another voice on the assistant bench next year, cause this stuff ain't working.
    No pass here from me with the embarrassments at UC, Mizzou, losing to SD State, and the losses in the Big East, which is the weakest it's ever been. And we'll finish last.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  10. #60
    Walk-On
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    White Oak
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Dude, stop with the double spacing!! (Just kidding)
    Sorry, but he gets no more than a D with me. There is high rated talent on this team with Two Top 60's, the proven D2 POY, A strong other big, a solid PG, and a respectable bench player, who for some reason never has had a chance to prove himself in extended minutes. There are also a couple of interchangeable bench guys for O & D. Fact is, Steele misread this roster (Best D team?), has not defined roles well, has been inconsistent in player game management, runs an easily defensible 4 out 1 in offense that does not use his best player's talents (NO shots for Paul Scruggs for the first EIGHTEEN MINUTES yesterday), doesn't have a player cut to the foul line vs a zone, and NEVER runs a back door. On defense, in a zone they don't stay packed in (see lousy outside shooting Providence in that game) and the pack line/hedge is carved up by any experienced coach running a Pick and Roll. And we STILL give up tons of 3's. The constant turnover issues are precisely the result of a lack of defined roles and uncertainty on offense.
    Sorry folks. This has been a SheetShow and now Steele is pulling a Mick and blaming the players. Dude, it is your responsibility to figure out a system that puts your guys in their best positions to be successful, and Steele hasn't done it. The team is worse and the effort is slacking.
    This may be another Brandon Miller/Butler situation. I sincerely hope not, but there needs to be another voice on the assistant bench next year, cause this stuff ain't working.
    No pass here from me with the embarrassments at UC, Mizzou, losing to SD State, and the losses in the Big East, which is the weakest it's ever been. And we'll finish last.
    Are back door cuts still legal?

    Seriously though I was yelling at the TV yesterday that Scruggs had not shots for most of the first half yesterday. I recorded it and went back and watched later and they double and triple teamed him every time he touched the ball. He had to be seriously frustrated.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •