29 43.28%
  • D

21 31.34%
  • F

3 4.48%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    Spoiled is an enormous understatement. How many times can people possibly write, "I know it's early..." "I know it's a small sample size...", "BUT". No, you either know it's early in his career or you don't.

There's a thread doubting Steele's outlook based on Christopher's hiring history at BOWLING GREEN! Get real people. A down year in the Big East is not the same as a down year in the A10. I'm sure Steele would love a game against Fordham right about now. A coach's record in the Mid-American has no bearing on the outlook for Steele.

The only thing I'm grading Steele on is recruiting. We have a strong group coming in. You're not going to be able to extrapolate anything deeper than that.

Actually, Bowling Green State University is a member of the Mid American conference, a conference which has as a member the most outstanding institution of higher education in the entire Midwest, in fact it is often referred to as The Harvard of The Midwest, Miami University.

Spoiled is an enormous understatement. How many times can people possibly write, "I know it's early..." "I know it's a small sample size...", "BUT". No, you either know it's early in his career or you don't.

There's a thread doubting Steele's outlook based on Christopher's hiring history at BOWLING GREEN! Get real people. A down year in the Big East is not the same as a down year in the A10. I'm sure Steele would love a game against Fordham right about now. A coach's record in the Mid-American has no bearing on the outlook for Steele.

The only thing I'm grading Steele on is recruiting. We have a strong group coming in. You're not going to be able to extrapolate anything deeper than that.
    Great post. What’s interesting is we have the second best recruiting class on paper in our history. Some are starting to doubt the incoming class next year because of the performance this year. Appreciate Xuperman for putting 2019 class thread together because they look pretty damn good!

Hard to believe in August this board was singing his praises. Will he be the next Tom Crean, great recruiter and marginal coach, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    do we, though? I know the overall class ranking is good because of the amount of players, but only two seem to be highly ranked and likely to contribute next year. I think he's a good recruiter, but we've had stronger groups come through recently (although in retrospect, the Scruggs/Marshal class is likely to end up being only those two).
    I'd love to know how often you could say this about any recruiting class outside of schools like Kansas Kentucky and Duke. By my count it happened once, maybe twice, under Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    No, there is a thread wondering aloud if Greg Christopher knows what he is doing when hiring basketball coaches; no more, no less. If you don't find that to be a worthwhile topic, all good. He has NEVER hired a basketball coach who was able to have a .500 record, including in the MAC (caps for your benefit), so if that doesn't trouble you, no problem. Maybe the 4th times a charm....
    Wondering aloud versus doubting. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Actually, Bowling Green State University is a member of the Mid American conference, a conference which has as a member the most outstanding institution of higher education in the entire Midwest, in fact it is often referred to as The Harvard of The Midwest, Miami University.
    I'm aware. I should've reversed the A10 and Mid-American sentence order.

A coach's record in the Mid-American has no bearing on the outlook for Steele.

Quote Originally Posted by markchal View Post
    do we, though? I know the overall class ranking is good because of the amount of players, but only two seem to be highly ranked and likely to contribute next year. I think he's a good recruiter, but we've had stronger groups come through recently (although in retrospect, the Scruggs/Marshal class is likely to end up being only those two).
    Rivals has every one of the 5 signed ranked in the top 20-30, by position, in the class. Now that’s not a guarantee and we don’t really know at this point how strong the overall class is, so that might not really mean a thing. However, the real question isn’t how good are they now? It’s how good can they be? Also keep in mind that they still have one open scholarship, and might well end up having another one or two after the season is over. But you don’t get a top 20 class without having more than 1-2 good players. I think that we will see significant contributions from more than just 1 or 2 of the incoming freshman, and would not be at all surprised to see a grad transfer come in and contribute right away too. Xavier should be a much deeper team next year with those additions, and should also be a much better outside shooting team.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Rivals has every one of the 5 signed ranked in the top 20-30, by position, in the class. Now that’s not a guarantee and we don’t really know at this point how strong the overall class is, so that might not really mean a thing. However, the real question isn’t how good are they now? It’s how good can they be? Also keep in mind that they still have one open scholarship, and might well end up having another one or two after the season is over. But you don’t get a top 20 class without having more than 1-2 good players. I think that we will see significant contributions from more than just 1 or 2 of the incoming freshman, and would not be at all surprised to see a grad transfer come in and contribute right away too. Xavier should be a much deeper team next year with those additions, and should also be a much better outside shooting team.
    Reps, apparently I used up what little juice I had.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Look, I'm excited about next year's class, and hope we can get 3 solid players out of the mix. Think about ANY recruiting class over the last 15 years or so. On paper some of the classes look amazing, and then they hit campus..... Tu was an absolute stud. Lyons was a solid contributor. Frease disappointed, but contributed some. Redford was injured. Walsh Transferred.

Another class: Trevon and JP were both studs. O'Mara was an improved version of Frease. Sumner would have been a legend, but got injured and left early. Austin and London both transferred.

you just never know.

But, there WILL be minutes available for these guys next year. We have ONE big guy on the roster (Jones), and he's got some foul issues and questionable endurance. So plenty of opportunities at the 5. And, I've not been a fan of Naji at the 4, and I'd like to see us get bigger there. We will need a 3rd guard to emerge, and neither Hardin or Kennedy appear to have the handle needed. In addition, with atrocious shooting this year, it's pretty clear that a freshman who can hit from deep will certainly find minutes next year.

In all reality, I see as few as 4 guys coming back next. I'm not sure exactly which 4.

Also, I DONT see a grad transfer coming in next year. For the most part, those guys have had individual success at a lower level, but didnt experience TEAM success. Their motivation to transfer is to give up some personal accomplishments to have a shot at a deep run in the dance. Honestly, we will be far to much of an "unknown" next year and should get ZERO consideration from a grad transfer.

So, if it's about grading Travis Steele as a HC, with particular emphasis on in-game coaching, please allow me to share the following quote from an article in the Cincinnati paper from Q:

"I just gotta be a better leader and a better player I know I'm capable of being," said Goodin. "We just gotta figure out a way to get out of our own way. I feel like our coaches are putting us in great positions to execute we just gotta go out there and do it."

Is this simply player speak?

Is this a cogent observation from a high level athlete who is in his third year of D! basketball at a major conference school (i.e. someone who should and does know what he is talking about)?

One thing you could surmise from his response: there is no disrespect between the player and the HC, unless some of you take the most pessimistic position that this is just microphone-facing bullsh!t.

Thoughts?
    X A V I E R

Who knows, but I've seen a lot of players defend a lot of really shitty coaches and get pissed when they get fired. And sometimes players really like a coach but dont quite respect them.