• D

21 31.34%
  • F

3 4.48%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Grade Travis first year as coach to this point

I know we arnt happy losing, it doesn’t happen at X.However are any of you really that surprised? We brought in a Div II player, a guy in Jimmy Chitwood that is a glorified Gus Macker MVP (look it up kids) and some Ivy League guy who is going to be successful just not in hoops. Out top returning scorer is Q at 8ppg. Throw in recruits that Mack got who clearly arnt ready to play at this level and you got a team that is .500. Xavier has been in almost every game but the first Marquette game and have had leads for a lot of games only to tire out towards the end against deeper teams. I don’t know about you but I think Travis is doing one hell of a job giving his resources. He has made some rookie mistakes with substitutions but he will learn. With that said what grade would you give him?
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

high c to a b.

Not satisfied with where they are at, but I get the feeling that Steele isn't either. That he understands what the problems are. That he has a plan how to fix it, and that he is going to work that plan and not panic. The fact that we have a highly thought of recruiting class coming in already, and that he is working hard at signing even more, makes me say B more than C.

Can't make a cake without all of the ingredients, and right now they don't have all of the ingredients needed to make the body, let alone put some icing on it.

C that can move up or down through the last 10 games or so. Still enough talent to be 15-7 right now and not 11-11. Defense is atrocious.

Supporting Member
    I gave him a B.

The season isn't over; he has them playing better; a couple more tweks and who knows, we can still hurt some teams.

Quote Originally Posted by slysyl View Post
    I gave him a B.

The season isn't over; he has them playing better; a couple more tweks and who knows, we can still hurt some teams.
    Always darkest before the dawn. We are on a rough stretch to give him a grade right now, and the season isn't over. Today is the first day of February. I have seen a lot of things happen in February.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

This team can def win 4/4 if they buy into the program. If everything MOE said is right then Steele should have sat Q and Najia long time ago but he didn’t. It’s either blown out of proportion or it’s a lie. And MOE stop stalking my post dog. Don’t worry about what I said 3 months ago. I switch back and forth everyday. Keeps me humble!!!
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    Don’t worry about what I said 3 months ago. I switch back and forth everyday. Keeps me humble!!!
    “Consistency is the crutch of a weak mind”. :)

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by OTRMUSKIE View Post
    I know we arnt happy losing, it doesn’t happen at X.However are any of you really that surprised? We brought in a Div II player, a guy in Jimmy Chitwood that is a glorified Gus Macker MVP (look it up kids) and some Ivy League guy who is going to be successful just not in hoops. Out top returning scorer is Q at 8ppg. Throw in recruits that Mack got who clearly arnt ready to play at this level and you got a team that is .500. Xavier has been in almost every game but the first Marquette game and have had leads for a lot of games only to tire out towards the end against deeper teams. I don’t know about you but I think Travis is doing one hell of a job giving his resources. He has made some rookie mistakes with substitutions but he will learn. With that said what grade would you give him?
    You're the most erratic poster on this site -- honestly, it is crazy. Some examples:

1. 11-20-18, "X will still dance and win 20+ games." M'kay.
    2. 12-18-18, "...we suck and we knew we'd suck..." We did? A month ago you thought they would win 20+ games.
    3. 1-6-19, "...we suck.."
    4. 1-19-19, you start a thread about how they can make the tourney and going 9-3 down the stretch to get in.

Mix in comments about Travis' wife and posting an odd picture of a "Sexy Nun" costume, and you're truly all over the map. I assume you drink a lot while posting.

This team has 4 kids who were four-star kids, all ranked in the Top 100 (32, 70, 92, and 94) in their class, so to act as if we have zero talent is preposterous. Is it a problem when 3 kids in your rotation are from San Jose St., D-II, and the Ivy? Sure. However, 11-11 (and trending hard in the wrong direction) should not be acceptable with this rotation.

The problem, among several, is Travis hasn't been able to find the right buttons for this team, and while I have been dragged on here for calling their play selfish at times (Seton Hall game, lead erodes as we have 5 straight possessions where guys ignore the play call and go no-pass possession, drive for a bad shot), Travis does it (finally) last night and its as if everyone is shocked to hear that. These guys are blowing off curfew, they are blowing off study tables, they are stepping outside the line on the road, in short, he doesn't have their respect. For a number of reasons, you could see that coming, but when Q "MF'd" him in front of the team after the Marquette loss, it clearly has all come to a head.

In terms of projecting the future, I'm most concerned with what I said elsewhere that the staff has too many "great recruiters" and not a single "X and O" guy. That is troubling. I didn't like the staff make-up when he hired them, as fun as it is to have Jackson back on campus, and I don't like it now.

Xavier needs men's basketball to be good in a huge way, it has a huge impact on admissions, so they better hope that Travis finds his way, makes the year-2 tweaks needed, develops his kids, and gets back to winning games. As Bob Kohlhepp once famously said, the difference between Xavier and John Carroll is men's basketball. They can't get a hire wrong, and hopefully for all of us, time will prove that they didn't.

As of now, I don't think this period, since the press conference where he took credit for Xavier's offense, to the presser where he stated how great of a defensive team this would be (umm, WHAT?), to the results through 22 games, could have gone any worse. He is about to coach the worst Xavier team in nearly 25 years (1995-1996 team went 13-15), and he is doing it with a load of missteps along the way.
    Last edited by BigMoeMusketeer; 02-01-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Sophomore
    When did Q MF Steele? Serious question. Same thing with blowing off curfew and study tables

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MITTENMUSKIE16 View Post
    When did Q MF Steele?
    In the locker room on 1/6 after the Marquette game.

Talk to players 1 on 1, they'll be happy to give you an earful. There exists neither fear, nor respect, at this point. Not to say it can't be developed over time, especially with players that weren't here when he was "just" an assistant, but this year isn't going to get any better.

I was actually proud of him for finally having enough last night and calling the play what it has been for weeks: selfish. Good for him.