Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Eligibility Question

I have seen it mentioned a few times by Brian Snow that Xavier will return it's top 4 players next year.

Does anyone know who that is in reference to?

My understanding was that Hankins was a one year guy

Supporting Member
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I assume snow is talking about the "core 4." Regardless, pretty ignorant by Snow considering that any of them could leave after the year ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but I assume snow is talking about the "core 4." Regardless, pretty ignorant by Snow considering that any of them could leave after the year ends.
    None of the Core 4 (which by the way is Goodin, Jones, Scruggs & Marshall for those who need help on the obvious) will transfer out. I'm pretty confident in that. Although, you're right, you never know when someone will bolt early (see: Gates, Kaiser). Paul and Naji were both 5 year high school guys and top 50 recruits. It would be a shock to me if either are 4 year players. That puts some pressure on making the tournament next season. We'll have an entirely new team in 2020-2021. Apparently Steele wants to add another freshman (Zach Harvey?) and a grad transfer for next season. I'll let you guys do the math.

Scruggs could leave. Naji? Where would he go?

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Scruggs could leave. Naji? Where would he go?
    They are sophomores that I don't expect to be here when they are seniors. Is that surprising to you? How many former top 50 recruits do you think play college basketball when they are 23? They will make plenty of money in Europe and if they improve next season could even be drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I was legitimately asking.

He's said it a number of times and I don't think there's much of an argument to be made that he's one of the top 4 players on the team. He's probably the second best player on the roster right now behind Paul.

I know there have been cases where guys get granted a 6th year of eligibility so i didn't know if i had missed something or if Brian thinks Hankins isn't one of the 4 best guys.

Quote Originally Posted by xavier513 View Post
    How many former top 50 recruits do you think play college basketball when they are 23?
    I don't know about specific ages, but more often than not top 50 guys are 4 year players, especially those who were in the back half of the top 50.

Castlin, Welage, Haskins are all grad transfers and their eligibility is up after this year. Will Hardin, Kennedy, and James return? Who knows, hard to see ALL of them back. That leaves Naji, Q, Jones, and Scruggs....the top 4 players in Snow’s opinion. 5 freshman are already signed.

Snow has been quoted as saying that he expects another freshman to be added, a grad transfer, and a regular transfer. But it’s all speculation at this point.

4 core returners, 5 freshman for sure...that’s 9....3 other potential returners....that’s 12....3 additions per Snow...that’s 15....

Limit is 13....numbers don’t equal out.....hmmmmm

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Castlin, Welage, Haskins are all grad transfers and their eligibility is up after this year. Will Hardin, Kennedy, and James return? Who knows, hard to see ALL of them back. That leaves Naji, Q, Jones, and Scruggs....the top 4 players in Snow’s opinion. 5 freshman are already signed.

Snow has been quoted as saying that he expects another freshman to be added, a grad transfer, and a regular transfer. But it’s all speculation at this point.

4 core returners, 5 freshman for sure...that’s 9....3 other potential returners....that’s 12....3 additions per Snow...that’s 15....

Limit is 13....numbers don’t equal out.....hmmmmm

The math is provocative. Watching the game last night reinforced my feeling that were I coaching X, I'd focus my recruiting efforts on players I thought were going to stay four years. That would, in all likelihood, lead away from higher ranked recruits and probably toward smaller, lesser known recruits who either don't have aspirations to play at the next level or to recruits who really value the degree. I really like those two frosh guards; they ate us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Watching the game last night reinforced my feeling that were I coaching X, I'd focus my recruiting efforts on players I thought were going to stay four years. That would, in all likelihood, lead away from higher ranked recruits and probably toward smaller, lesser known recruits who either don't have aspirations to play at the next level or to recruits who really value the degree.
    If we do this, we should also re-join the A-10.

There are some four year guys out there that are great to have, but you'd better be focused on getting the best talent if you want to be a serious (and not just an occasional Cinderella) contender for the Final Four. Some of those Georgetown kids are great, but when you focus on that level of recruit you're as likely to end up with Kamall Richards as you are to end up with Mac McClung.