Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quentin Goodin

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I am firmly convinced that Paul Scruggs needs to be the starting PG and put Marshall, Castlin/Welage, Jones and Hankins out there. Maybe Harden or Kennedy in if they show in practice. Q should not get more than 15 minutes per game and mainly to rest Marshall or Scruggs. The best Xavier has played this year were the games vs Butler and GTown when Q didn't play at all and Paul ran the team. The last 11 minutes of the Marquette game just cemented it for me. Steele left Q out there in the second half to the detriment of Scruggs- who did not HAVE A SHOT AT THE BASKET from 11:28 to 1:34.
    What happened in that 10 minutes?
    -Xavier went from a 6 point lead to 8 points down.
    -Paul had no shots, but 2 assists for baskets, plus two more "assists" that resulted in free throw conversions- accounting for 6 points despite no shots. Oh, and ZERO turnovers.
    -Q went 1-3 with 2 bad shots blocked, 1 turnover and 1 assist.
    -Naji went 1-3 with 2 bad shots, 1 free throw and 1 turnover with zero assists.
    So when Paul went through 10 minutes where he didn't have a shot- OUR BEST PLAYER- he still accounted for 6 clean points while the other two had 6 shots 1 Free Throw and 7 points, but because of the turnovers leading to points, a net of 2 points positive. Paul Scruggs, himself with ZERO shots, accounted for more net offense than the other 2 "stars" combined. This is ridiculous.

I totally blame Steele for A) Losing his poise after a proper no call on Marshall's drive and getting a BAAAD technical when down only 2, B) Allowing an offense with no called play to get your best player a shot or multiple shots at the basket over 10 minutes of crunch, C) Allowing the other "stars" to run wild with little productivity. I'll excuse Naji to an extent because Steele got him almost no rest and he worked his ass off, but there was no excuse for Q.
    Almost every time the ball got into Jones and Hanky Saturday, good things happened, but if it wasn't Paul Scruggs delivering the ball in there 4 times, it didn't get done. That is also on Q.
    Mr. Pine is calling for a meeting with him.
    Advocating Q get no more than 15 minutes a game is honestly laughable. Whether or not you think he's any good, it's pretty damn obvious he is absolutely better than the proverbial "next man up" on this roster (cue everyone asking if I'm related to Q).

Let's also pump the brakes on declaring the games against GTown and Butler some amazing stretch. Both those teams pretty much suck and X dug themselves a sizable hole in both games.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Advocating Q get no more than 15 minutes a game is honestly laughable. Whether or not you think he's any good, it's pretty damn obvious he is absolutely better than the proverbial "next man up" on this roster (cue everyone asking if I'm related to Q).

Let's also pump the brakes on declaring the games against GTown and Butler some amazing stretch. Both those teams pretty much suck and X dug themselves a sizable hole in both games.
    What's laughable is you continuing to defend the guy based on what the team did last year as if that means anything related to what has transpired on the court this year. You have now resorted to " well the teams we beat when q was out suck, and we were down in the game so..." argument.

Its beyond clear there is something wrong with the guy and that hes not been good for the team this year. So, advocating he only receive 15 minutes a game until something changes with him, is not laughable.

Sophomore
    While Q has been playing like garbage lately, the answer can't be cutting his minutes in half. There's no hope to this year's squad finishing respectably (postseason play is a pipe dream at this point) and having any hope of a tournament bid next year that doesn't involve Q figuring out how to be productive. I agree more of the offense needs to revolve around Scruggs, but we need Q to turn things around more than we need more Welage/Castlin on the floor. Maybe you sit Q more until he's finally healthy, but the fact is we just don't have the depth/talent/recruits to write off our most experienced player as a lost cause.

Supporting Member
    I totally blame Steele for A) Losing his poise after a proper no call on Marshall's drive and getting a BAAAD technical when down only 2, B) Allowing an offense with no called play to get your best player a shot or multiple shots at the basket over 10 minutes of crunch, C) Allowing the other "stars" to run wild with little productivity. I'll excuse Naji to an extent because Steele got him almost no rest and he worked his ass off, but there was no excuse for Q.
    Almost every time the ball got into Jones and Hanky Saturday, good things happened, but if it wasn't Paul Scruggs delivering the ball in there 4 times, it didn't get done. That is also on Q.
    Mr. Pine is calling for a meeting with him.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your prescription that the answer is fewer minutes for Q. Maybe he will figure out the resolution to his poor play while he is watching the game from the bench. Maybe that will give him a needed perspective.

I also agree with your conclusions about Steel. To me, Steele seems to be enabling some of the recent bad play. Yes, we have lack of depth but it is up to Steele to ensure his bench is ready and I don't understand the substitution pattern he is using. Now, for sure, I'm not in his shoes and I have zero experience coaching. But, I don't watch the games and come away feeling Steele is confident in his own leadership.

Seems like the best way to go forward this year is to deal with the issues around the team's play this year so, they don't recur next year. I don't have a great vantage point but I can't see that Steele is doing that. On the plus side, I haven't seen X quit the last few games like I believe they did earlier in the season. If that observation is accurate, I have to give Steele credit for that.

This season is lost. We aren't going to make the dance (short of a miracle in the conference tournament). So, let's figure stuff out now, for next year.

Steele also failed to call a timeout during 2 obvious stretches where he was waiting to get to the under 8:00 minute and 4:00 mark. In both cases we had multiple possessions with either really bad shots taken or TO's. Marquette on the contrary was pretty much scoring at will. Hopefully he's learning his lessons this year and can improve in multiple areas for next year. We knew there would be some growing pains........I just have to ask what was he watching and learning while being associate HC for 8 years? Maybe it's a lot different being the lead guy? I wonder if any of our assistants are strong enough right now to suggest in game adjustments. Maybe all are a little gun shy..........

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    What's laughable is you continuing to defend the guy based on what the team did last year as if that means anything related to what has transpired on the court this year. You have now resorted to " well the teams we beat when q was out suck, and we were down in the game so..." argument.

Its beyond clear there is something wrong with the guy and that hes not been good for the team this year. So, advocating he only receive 15 minutes a game until something changes with him, is not laughable.
    Your position involves playing Keonte Kennedy and Elias Harden more minutes - how can you feel so confident digging in on that? I’d rather play Goodin than either of those guys, hands down. I guess I’ll just come out and say it - I think Q is better than Harden, Kennedy and Castlin. Do you disagree?

For some reason you continue to read my posts as “Q is amazing and is killing it this season.” That’s not at all what I’m saying or have said.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 01-28-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Supporting Member
    Your position involves playing Keonte Kennedy and Elias Harden more minutes - how can you feel so confident digging in on that? I’d rather play Goodin than either of those guys, hands down.

For some reason you continue to read my posts as “Q is amazing and is killing it this season.” That’s not at all what I’m saying or have said.
    I'm confident because I see the team play their best when q is not on the floor. I dont know what's up with q and I hope he finds whatever it is...maybe hes still injured which would explain a lot. Regardless, to keep giving him the minutes he is getting,the way he has been playing, is insane to me.

Is Elias or keonte better than q on an individual level when he is on, no. However, for the team right now, I believe limiting q's minutes until if or when something changes with him is best.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I'm confident because I see the team play their best when q is not on the floor. I dont know what's up with q and I hope he finds whatever it is...maybe hes still injured which would explain a lot. Regardless, to keep giving him the minutes he is getting,the way he has been playing, is insane to me.

Is Elias or keonte better than q on an individual level when he is on, no. However, for the team right now, I believe limiting q's minutes until if or when something changes with him is best.
    Fair enough - and I would agree with you on a normal X roster that Q's minutes should be cut - there's just such a sharp drop off on the current team after the top tier of guys that it's hard to convince me the next level players need more action.

In any even, we'll agree to disagree on this one (I'm sure that's shocking to you). BTW, I respect you as a poster even though we disagree on this - unfortunately just part of the frustration of this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I am firmly convinced that Paul Scruggs needs to be the starting PG and put Marshall, Castlin/Welage, Jones and Hankins out there. Maybe Harden or Kennedy in if they show in practice. Q should not get more than 15 minutes per game and mainly to rest Marshall or Scruggs. The best Xavier has played this year were the games vs Butler and GTown when Q didn't play at all and Paul ran the team. The last 11 minutes of the Marquette game just cemented it for me. Steele left Q out there in the second half to the detriment of Scruggs- who did not HAVE A SHOT AT THE BASKET from 11:28 to 1:34.
    What happened in that 10 minutes?
    -Xavier went from a 6 point lead to 8 points down.
    -Paul had no shots, but 2 assists for baskets, plus two more "assists" that resulted in free throw conversions- accounting for 6 points despite no shots. Oh, and ZERO turnovers.
    -Q went 1-3 with 2 bad shots blocked, 1 turnover and 1 assist.
    -Naji went 1-3 with 2 bad shots, 1 free throw and 1 turnover with zero assists.
    So when Paul went through 10 minutes where he didn't have a shot- OUR BEST PLAYER- he still accounted for 6 clean points while the other two had 6 shots 1 Free Throw and 7 points, but because of the turnovers leading to points, a net of 2 points positive. Paul Scruggs, himself with ZERO shots, accounted for more net offense than the other 2 "stars" combined. This is ridiculous.

Mr. Pine is calling for a meeting with him.

It really hurts me to say it (only because I want so badly for Q to play up to his ability again), but this entire post is right on the money.

These are not just mere opinions. Thank you for taking the time to spell out many of facts that have been looping in my head.

I agree with the reduced minutes remark. Q can earn his minutes (and his starting position) back by being a net positive when he does get in the game. But I still feel some of his inconsistent play could be part injury and part to do with Steele not knowing how to get him to stick to what he does best.

In my book, Paul is head and shoulders better at the PG right now. I have no clue what the hell is going on with Q, but Steele is not helping to make it any better by letting him go rogue out on the floor. He has shown little glimpses of improvement, but he is hurting the team when he stays out there and starts forcing bad shots or bad passes.

I will not excuse Naji as you did though. He shot a unimpressive 5-16 from the field this last game and he too makes too many bad decisions... particularly at the end of games. Marshall did play brilliantly for a good part of the game though.

Still, why is Steele allowing this crap to happen. Why do poor shooters continue to get the green light to shoot low percentage jumpers at the end of games when better options are available. A reoccurring bad decison coach. Let’s hope the tech at the end of a game is not a reoccurring thing.

I get that the team is not deep. I get that this is Steele’s first year in charge. I can appreciate that the last lost was a close one to a team that is good enough to have a deep run in the NCAA tournament. Still, we have witnesssd at least 4 games that this team could have won if not for the sameness undisciplined, bonehead decisions made on the court and just off (I’m looking at you coach. This team was never expected to win 27 games this season, but there is enough talent (and enough mediocre BE teams this year) that 20 wins would be very doable. Bad bad decisions again and again coach. You have finally got the team playing a little smarter and harder, but your guys look lost and flustered at the end of game, like they have no clue what to do but force a bunch of desperate jumpers.

I do want to add that I thought Jones and Hankins played hard and well in this last game and that Scruggs is that natural hero that Q and Naji are forcing so many bad shots to try to be. Scruggs is a special player who plays smarter and better everygame.
    Last edited by IM4X; 01-29-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Sophomore

This settles it... Clearly, this guy is related to Q.