Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quentin Goodin

Quentin Goodin

I’d like to have a rational discuss about our most polarizing player. I try to defend Q, but he’s been disappointing this year. I’m not going to pretend that’s not true. I think Q’s defenders on here can agree with that.

I understand Naji and Jones have shown improvement, and Scruggs has been incredible.

However I’m not giving up on him. The loss of talent and coaching from last year has taken it’s toll.
    But I have reason to believe that with our recruiting class next year, Q will be able to redeem himself with an improved roster (along with a coach that isn’t in his first year).

I’m Team Q. He will get it turned around eventually. His story isn’t finished yet.

I'm a Q defender as well, he was under a lot of scrutiny when Ed went down and he was trying to figure stuff out as a Freshman, and now I think he's in one of those waves again. The most rational fan understands Q hasn't been good this season, and I'm sure it's taking a toll on his psyche as well. I don't know what we can do to get him in rhythm again, it's a new role basically everybody has taken on, I think Q does best when he can distribute to weapons, especially good outside shooting weapons. We were spoiled with Blueitt, Macura, hell even Kanter because they all required so much attention, but Naji isn't an amazing 3 point shooter, and though Scruggs has improved by miles, I don't know if I'd put him up there with Blueitt and Macura's shooting ability.

I agree next year will be better for him, as he won't have to shoulder as much load with guys who can score at a high clip like Tandy, Bishop, etc. But those guys will be Freshman and will have growing pains as well. If he can play within himself, distribute and cut down the dumb turnovers, Q is a damn good PG. I'm sure he feels much worse than we do right now, I still have faith in Steele and our guys, even with a down season, it's not fun, but it happens from time to time.

Sophomore
    He needs to have a bit of come to Jesus moment. Seriously recognize and evaluate what his strengths and weaknesses are, and put himself in the best position to play to his strengths. He can make in rhythm threes. He can’t take it to the rack without a plan and with the lane clogged. He’s just not a good enough finisher or ball handler to get through all that traffic. He needs to make it a goal to maybe shoot 5 FTs a game, and make 4 of them. He needs to make the right play based on the situation, not the flashy play. There’s a lot he can do for the team to help win games. But he’s done a bad job of it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I'm a Q defender as well, he was under a lot of scrutiny when Ed went down and he was trying to figure stuff out as a Freshman, and now I think he's in one of those waves again. The most rational fan understands Q hasn't been good this season, and I'm sure it's taking a toll on his psyche as well. I don't know what we can do to get him in rhythm again, it's a new role basically everybody has taken on, I think Q does best when he can distribute to weapons, especially good outside shooting weapons. We were spoiled with Blueitt, Macura, hell even Kanter because they all required so much attention, but Naji isn't an amazing 3 point shooter, and though Scruggs has improved by miles, I don't know if I'd put him up there with Blueitt and Macura's shooting ability.

I agree next year will be better for him, as he won't have to shoulder as much load with guys who can score at a high clip like Tandy, Bishop, etc. But those guys will be Freshman and will have growing pains as well. If he can play within himself, distribute and cut down the dumb turnovers, Q is a damn good PG. I'm sure he feels much worse than we do right now, I still have faith in Steele and our guys, even with a down season, it's not fun, but it happens from time to time.
    Nice post on Q. Started to write something similar after the last game. Probably will add something further after I digest but think you nailed it.

Nope. I cannot defend his play. He needs to have his minutes cut and let Scruggs run this team.
    Q’s Head is somewhere else than on winning basketball
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Q should not be our most polarizing player. He is a three year starter and last year, he showed material improvement over his freshman year. He has become polarizing, I suppose, because of heightened expectations. Few on this board would argue against the position that his play has deteriorated this year. I believe his play has deteriorated markedly with a few exceptions. I thought he played better earlier this season. He was one of our top scorers early on and his defense against Strus (DePaul) was awesome. Q is athletic, a good defender, adequate ball handler, a shot creator (although jot a great shooter), dependable at the charity stripe and a decent finisher. He has lots of talent.

But, something seems to have happened to his game. The last six (or so) games don't feel like randomly poor games. The turnovers, poor shooting and seemingly bad decision making have been consistent. Others have posted that something is wrong---injury, off court issues, conflicts with Steele (or others). I'm in that camp although without any basis other than I cannot explain the deterioration in his performance from last year to anything observable.

The leadership mantle landed on his shoulders this year. But, for some reason, he hasn't worn it well. Don't know why but we damn sure need him to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Q should not be our most polarizing player. He is a three year starter and last year, he showed material improvement over his freshman year. He has become polarizing, I suppose, because of heightened expectations. Few on this board would argue against the position that his play has deteriorated this year. I believe his play has deteriorated markedly with a few exceptions. I thought he played better earlier this season. He was one of our top scorers early on and his defense against Strus (DePaul) was awesome. Q is athletic, a good defender, adequate ball handler, a shot creator (although jot a great shooter), dependable at the charity stripe and a decent finisher. He has lots of talent.

But, something seems to have happened to his game. The last six (or so) games don't feel like randomly poor games. The turnovers, poor shooting and seemingly bad decision making have been consistent. Others have posted that something is wrong---injury, off court issues, conflicts with Steele (or others). I'm in that camp although without any basis other than I cannot explain the deterioration in his performance from last year to anything observable.

The leadership mantle landed on his shoulders this year. But, for some reason, he hasn't worn it well. Don't know why but we damn sure need him to step up.
    A serious question, he did have a pretty bad injury, any chance that could be nagging him this year? Because I definitely agree here that most recently his slump has been bad. I think he's trying to really hold on to the leader aspect, which has led him to some hero ball lately, and I just don't think that's his forte. He works better for others as I've said, and when the attention is off of him, that's when he truly shines, but he's been trying to do way too much and it's been showing.

Q struggles pretty much everywhere on the floor on the offensive end. For the last two years his weaknesses have been masked by having some really good players around him. He is what he is. I wish he would take on the role of play maker and getting his teammates good shots, but that isnt happening consistently either. Hopefully, the light will turn on, but this team has far more issues than just Q.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Q’s Head is somewhere else than on winning basketball
    He is contemplating if he is going to kidnap a pug, a different type of dog, or another kind of animal altogether.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."