Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Freshman

Women's team moves to 1-6 in Big East play

The team has been more competitive in league games, including two close losses on the road (one in OT, and another by four points), but is still only 1-6 in the league so far.

Neal's record in Big East play dating back to the beginning of the 2017-18 season is now 8-35. Again, I understand he inherited a total mess, but this is year six. I also understand the team is very young, but, again, this is year six.

League RPI ranks and standings (league record, then overall record) below.

15 Marquette 7-0 16-3
    21 Butler 6-1 16-2
    43 DePaul 4-3 13-6
    58 Villanova 2-5 11-7
    67 Creighton 4-4 10-9
    73 Seton Hall 4-3 12-6
    83 Georgetown 3-4 9-9
    87 Providence 4-4 12-8
    105 St. John's 1-6 8-10
    175 Xavier 1-6 10-8

Quote Originally Posted by HomerCecil View Post
    The team has been more competitive in league games, including two close losses on the road (one in OT, and another by four points), but is still only 1-6 in the league so far.

Neal's record in Big East play dating back to the beginning of the 2017-18 season is now 8-35. Again, I understand he inherited a total mess, but this is year six. I also understand the team is very young, but, again, this is year six.

League RPI ranks and standings (league record, then overall record) below.

15 Marquette 7-0 16-3
    21 Butler 6-1 16-2
    43 DePaul 4-3 13-6
    58 Villanova 2-5 11-7
    67 Creighton 4-4 10-9
    73 Seton Hall 4-3 12-6
    83 Georgetown 3-4 9-9
    87 Providence 4-4 12-8
    105 St. John's 1-6 8-10
    175 Xavier 1-6 10-8
    Hate to say it, but going from what was a Final Four competitive program under two coaches in a row- Melanie Balcomb and McGuff to this mess, in what should be a better recruiting situation is really unacceptable. I'm getting concerned that Greg Christopher, who personally I like very much, is taking the path of least resistance when it comes to hiring coaches. He promoted Neal from being an assistant, he promoted Billy O'Conner who was an assistant baseball coach, he replaced (don't get me started) Doug Steiner as Golf Coach, despite Steiner having XU nationally ranked in golf and him producing PGA Tour players, replaced him with Brian McCants and promoted Steele from assistant. Neal has been Meh, the jury is still out on O'Conner, McCants and Steele, but Greg didn't exactly go outside the box here. Certainly he's been no Mike Bobinski in who he's hired.
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-22-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Hate to say it, but going from what was a Final Four competitive program under two coaches in a row- Melanie Balcomb and McGuff to this mess, in what should be a better recruiting situation is really unacceptable. I'm getting concerned that Greg Christopher, who personally I like very much, is taking the path of least resistance when it comes to hiring coaches. He promoted Neal from being an assistant, he promoted Billy O'Conner who was an assistant baseball coach, he replaced (don't get me started) Doug Steiner as Golf Coach, despite Steiner having XU nationally ranked in golf and him producing PGA Tour players, replaced him with Brian McCants and promoted Steele from assistant. Neal has been Meh, the jury is still out on O'Conner, McCants and Steele, but Greg didn't exactly go outside the box here. Certainly he's been no Mike Bobinski in who he's hired.
    Brian Neal was 171 - 31 as Head Coach at Thomas More. For the Abruptness of the hire, I can't say I fault the decision at the time. Clearly, the team has struggled since. But I don't think the X job was as hot of a job in the first place, otherwise, I don't think Waugh would have been hired by Bobinski.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Sophomore
    It’s crazy to me that he still has a job. He probably can’t believe it either

Wasn't McGuff a Balcomb assistant?

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    No - McGuff came from Notre Dame.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Brian Neal was 171 - 31 as Head Coach at Thomas More. For the Abruptness of the hire, I can't say I fault the decision at the time. Clearly, the team has struggled since. But I don't think the X job was as hot of a job in the first place, otherwise, I don't think Waugh would have been hired by Bobinski.
    True, but he was an assistant at XU for 2 years before Greg got here, and Neal was brought in by Bobinski- ostensibly as an assistant to help Amy, who unfortunately was in over her head, and Brian didn't help her much. Not for sure that Bobo would have kept Neal as HC.
    Greg just promoted him as Coach without much of a search. Amy resigned in October 2013. Greg was hired as AD in May, 2013. Neal is on Greg's watch.

And the next two are vs league leaders Marquette and DePaul. Hope to see some of you Friday night and Sunday early afternoon. Go X!

Maybe Neal shouldn't still be around, but Christopher didn't really have a choice other than to hire Neal in the first place when Waugh quit in October.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Maybe Neal shouldn't still be around, but Christopher didn't really have a choice other than to hire Neal in the first place when Waugh quit in October.
    True, but Brian Neal was named Interim Coach, like the guy at Louisewer was when Pitino got run. He was out after a year. Neal could have stayed interim and Greg go on a real search after the year was over, but he punted and took the easy way. Now we're 5 years into this with zero progress.