Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    you are kidding me right? Delusional
    Delusional?! Whatever. You people are hateful.
    "Some of our guys thought defense was a town in Chile. Other guys thought defense was something you put up around d-house to keep out d-dog and d-cat." Pete Gillen

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GenerationX View Post
    Bottom line is jumping the gun to demonize “the other side” goes both ways. That was my main point to begin with. And calling people libtards, snowflakes, racist, etc. (from both sides) only makes things worse.
    The only people “jumping the gun” are those that initially put full blame on the kids before getting a full account of their events. The gun sounded and and judgement rendered correctly wrt Phillips. You may not have heard the gun and are still running to the false start, to keep your analogy going.

That said I agree 100% on the name calling. It’s counterproductive and juvenile. Xavier educated adults should be able to discuss issues, keep an open mind, and disagree respectfully.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie in dayton View Post
    The only people “jumping the gun” are those that initially put full blame on the kids before getting a full account of their events. The gun sounded and and judgement rendered correctly wrt Phillips. You may not have heard the gun and are still running to the false start, to keep your analogy going.

That said I agree 100% on the name calling. It’s counterproductive and juvenile. Xavier educated adults should be able to discuss issues, keep an open mind, and disagree respectfully.
    I say with all sincerity that I withheld judgment on the students initially, even though they clearly mocked the native Americans. I was appalled at the mob mentality going after the students and spoke out to that effect on other forums. However, I believe just as strongly that the native Americans were mocked, and given the historical and contemporary disrespect, I completely understand why they want the students to understand that it’s not ok to act that way. But again, the death threats and vilification of the students is disgusting and completely unwarranted. I can empathize with Nathan Phillips, though, as well. Where the actual hate comes from is beyond me.
    "Some of our guys thought defense was a town in Chile. Other guys thought defense was something you put up around d-house to keep out d-dog and d-cat." Pete Gillen

Gen....have no idea if you ever attended an all-boys catholic HS in the area, know anything about Cov Cath or their student body cheering section, or have ever taken a trip with a bunch of kids that age. Don’t have any idea what your background is, but...to use your argument....if you haven’t been in THEIR situation, you really shouldn’t be accusing them of any “mocking”. What might appear as hateful mocking to one not personally familiar with the culture of all-boys schools in this area, to those familiar with it it’s just boys having fun and showing school spirit. Take off the MAGA hats, make this a group of girls or kids from an inner city public school, and there would never have been any story.

As far as the recent (recent like over the last 10-20 years) rush to demonize the eourpean migrants to North America, while at the same time elevating the people and culture of those that came before them to near sainthood status....people need to get a better education on the history and culture of North American inhabitants. The migration of Europeans to North America in the 1600-1700’s and later was just a continuation of the migrations from much earlier in history. You claim to be someone that basis their belief on science, well anthropology and migration history are both scientific disciplines too. Unless you believe in the Genesis myth, and believe that the Garden of Eden was in North America, there is no basis to grant indigenous status to ANY people in NA. We are ALL immigrants.

Just makes some people feel better about themselves, if they can heap criticism upon others.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    if you haven’t been in THEIR situation, you really shouldn’t be accusing them of any “mocking”. What might appear as hateful mocking to one not personally familiar with the culture of all-boys schools in this area, to those familiar with it it’s just boys having fun and showing school spirit.
    This makes zero sense.

So the only way you can accuse these boys of mocking the man is to be an alumni of a Cincinnati area all-boy school or the boys themselves? As someone who can relate, can you explain how doing the war chant at a Native American is a display of school spirit? I won't deny that they were definitely having fun. I'll definitely give you that.

There's plenty of reasons to defend the kids and what they've been through as a result of this. I agree it shouldn't be a story, but you can reasonably say the kids doing the chant at him were mocking him.

Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    This makes zero sense.

So the only way you can accuse these boys of mocking the man is to be an alumni of a Cincinnati area all-boy school or the boys themselves? As someone who can relate, can you explain how doing the war chant at a Native American is a display of school spirit? I won't deny that they were definitely having fun. I'll definitely give you that.

There's plenty of reasons to defend the kids and what they've been through as a result of this. I agree it shouldn't be a story, but you can reasonably say the kids doing the chant at him were mocking him.
    Go back to post #176 in this thread and read what Gen wrote about about needing to walk in another’s shoes before passing judgement. According to him, you must first walk in another’ shoes before passing judgement.

Yet he is more than willing to make a judgement on the kids.

MY Post was in response to THAT statement.

Sophomore
    Nate Phillips lied about his military service, went awol 3 times, escaped from prison, spends his time harassing high school kids on the street, calling for their expulsion, defended the black Israelites, and harassed catholic families while they were at mass. I don’t sympathize with the guy in the least.

That said, this whole thing is a non story. It’s an awkward encounter between a bunch of high school kids and some crazy homeless people on the street in dc. Something like this probably happens 50 times a week there. The fact this was blown up to the point it was as an international story with some people wanting to kill these kids, trying to shut down cov Cath etc, is disturbing

Quote Originally Posted by Kahns Krazy View Post
    The Cov Cath boys, of which I know little about, at the very least acted like assholes.... I have serious doubts that a group of young boys, left to their own devices, purchased and wore MAGA hats with zero sense that they are incendiary. I can see on those boys who are jumping, yelling and screaming, that they are emboldened by the enormous group they are part of.
    Those MAGA hats are so triggering! You need to get a grip.

The stories that have surfaced, albeit it anecdotally, about Cov Cath are somewhat troubling, but can't be 100% surprising. There are still confederate flags flown proudly in parts of Northern Kentucky. The school is something like 97% White. I know some Cov Cath grads that are my age that make no bones about their feelings on race, including referring to our previous President with the N word. I am sure that doesn't reflect the whole school, a majority or even a significant minority, but it would practically be an impossible aberration of statistics if there weren't incidents of racial bias in a population with that makeup.
    I have worked with a few Cov Cath grads. Never heard them use the N word. That isn't surprising, nobody I know has ever called Obama the N word in front of me. It is not a high standard.

You seem to have a problem with a school being 97% White. I don't know the actual stats, maybe it is 97%. I saw one Black student in the video. He looked like he was playing around like the other kids.

I agree that the single biggest failure has to rest on the adults in charge of organizing and chaperoning this event. You could have kept these kids out of this mess and didn't.
    Of all the adults, I think the Black Hebrews and Nathan Phillips were far worse. What Phillips was doing was a hit job on those kids. He targeted them, approached them, videotaped them and edited it and then lied about them. And he largely got away with it. The single biggest failure is not the chaperones. Being a chaperone is like herding cats.

If these were Jewish kids from a Jewish school wearing yamakas you wouldn't have a story. They could act exactly the same. If it were Black kids doing the same thing no story there. I guess even if they had a more mixed smattering of races you would have approved more. It should never have been a story. They should leave the children alone. But this was about the anti White.

Trashing each other on this message board is no better. Telling someone they devalue your degree? Really Snipe? You want to look back on your own history and tell me that some words on a message board are devaluing your degree more than some of your own actions? You're a real tough guy behind a keyboard.

I thought I kinda missed this place. I don't miss this shit at all.
    Hey buddy you wanna fight or something? Tough guy. Did you just personally slam me for personally slamming someone else? An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind brother. Let he who hasn't sin cast the first stone. You used to have some love fests with PMThor.

I feel bad for calling him out like that but it was getting on my nerves. It was on abortion, and just stupid shit that didn't even make sense. The answer to Cov Cath could be a lot of things, but I didn't think it was Republicans are hypocrites and should have banned abortion. Lots of nonsense can derail a thread, and it peeved me. I should have just ignored him.

You said that trashing each other on this message board is no better. I think you couldn't be more wrong. Nathan Phillips set up those kids and lied about them on a national stage. The Black Hebrews were spouting lots of racist and homophobic garbage. I think calling somebody an idiot on a voluntary message board thread about politics is a lot better than those things. If you can't see that, you are an idiot. And even given that, it is still a lot better than making children political targets.

Unconfirmed reports, since the school has shut down all of their outward facing sites, that the teachers at this school are 100% White.
    Why does that matter? Is it like a Klan rally? What are you trying to infer? What should the acceptable percentage be? If it comes out that they have an Asian science teacher does it make it all moot? Should we be looking for and calling out schools that are 90% White?

What about family reunions? Is the Kahn's family reunion White? I got some Jews at mine so if anyone calls me out they are anti-Semitic.

It really looks like you think Whiteness can be problematic.

Has anyone ever heard of Covington Catholic turning down qualified black applicants?
    Last edited by Snipe; 01-31-2019 at 03:49 AM.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick

Sophomore
    Still waiting on the articles about how inner-city schools, chinese schools, kenyan schools, indian schools, iranian schools etc. don't have enough white people. those schools need more diversity and cultural enrichment.

Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    I heard someone describe this "incident" as a Rorschach test for people's views at the moment. I thought that was a great way of describing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Really the only people saying that are people who sent awful Tweets out way too early and now regret it.
    I certainly have posted things that I have come to regret, but not racial stuff against Children. I think it was a Rorschach test for a lot of our elite Blue Checks on Twitter, and they did fail pretty badly. It is useful to know how they feel about White kids though.

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    It has no business being a national/international news story
    This is the most important point. That even if no counter evidence were available that the Covington Mobbing Smirking Goons were as guilty as charged for being disrespectful, high school aged boys being disrespectful is not a news story. But going after Whitey was just to delicious for them to just leave it on the table.

If Native Americans were standing around having fun, making chants and some Cov Cath boys walked right into them to beat a drum in their face I think it may have been worse. I am saying you could completely reverse the scenario, and it would have still been lets get Whitey.

Quote Originally Posted by chico View Post
    The only thing that I know to be true through this whole escapade is that Twitter is the freaking playhouse of the devil. And news outlets lend it credibility by quoting the anonymous posters. USA Today - that bastion of hard-hitting journalistic integrity - has the headline, "Twitter rips Savannah Guthrie for 'appalling' interview with Nicholas Sandmann on 'Today'" and goes on to quote such credible news sources as "jojofancyhat," "jae" and "kelly." Now I know that USA Today is like reading the cartoon version of the news, but the fact remains that for some unexplained reason Twitter is influential.
    I have to agree. Our media elites have repeatedly failed and lost all credibility. FAKE NEWS! Twitter is a sewer. When going after high school kids because they are White becomes a sport, your society is doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Snipe; 01-31-2019 at 12:58 AM.
    RIP Brian Dargin McCormick