Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Sophomore
    "But I'm amazed that one or two stories devolve into "their coming for whites" "

You're obviously not paying attention... And I must say, it's usually white liberals spewing the hate....

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post

Try and imagine what it must be like to have been black, in the South, for the last 250 years. Or even today in some places.
    Those dusty ass crackers from CovCath should have considered that before they decided to go to the Lincoln Memorial!

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any question that the media screwed up this story.

But I'm amazed that one or two stories devolve into "their coming for whites" like it was the same as Hitler and the Jews.
    Unbelievable.

Try and imagine what it must be like to have been black, in the South, for the last 250 years. Or even today in some places.

People can always be made to hate "the other."
    I know right? The black kid harassed from CCH must’ve really had it coming.

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    And I must say, it's usually white liberals spewing the hate....
    No, he's continuing the (indefensible) fight.

One point I think is worth making in this conversation is the outsize impact of MAGA hats and clothing. I live outside of DC in Maryland. I don't think this is right or excuses any behavior, but wearing a MAGA hat in the area is asking for trouble. Clinton won over 90% of the vote in DC and Trump is wildly unpopular here. Add in the government shutdown and it's multiplied.

Again, it's not right, or an excuse for any provocation, but it's more or less a target for harassment here.

I hear your point, but (and I have to write this out or say it aloud sometimes to remember that it's actually true) Donald Trump IS the democratically elected President of the United States. It cannot be that showing support for the POTUS makes one fair game to be targeted (and I know that's not what you said; it's more directed at those who are actually doing the targeting).

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Caf View Post
    One point I think is worth making in this conversation is the outsize impact of MAGA hats and clothing. I live outside of DC in Maryland. I don't think this is right or excuses any behavior, but wearing a MAGA hat in the area is asking for trouble. Clinton won over 90% of the vote in DC and Trump is wildly unpopular here. Add in the government shutdown and it's multiplied.

Again, it's not right, or an excuse for any provocation, but it's more or less a target for harassment here.
    I think that's true, but maybe it's better to punish people who target people for harassment based on what they're wearing rather than give into intimidation

There’s a video circulating of the “incident” where one student changes his hat from normal standard hat to MAGA hat. Everyone knows the hat is gas on a fire.

What gets me is that this went from “white boys harrass Native American” to “narrative was false and white boys are good Christians” really quickly. If you really look at all info it lies in the middle. There is a video of the same students yelling profanities at other people (various f bombs/gay slurs), which occurred before this incident. They’re kids, they do dumb things and don’t deserve death threats etc. But to say they were just minding their business while touring DC is ridiculous too.

They're a bunch of high school fuckers acting like high school fuckers among a group of crazy ass adults acting much worse. The fact that the story became what it did is incredibly fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    There’s a video circulating of the “incident” where one student changes his hat from normal standard hat to MAGA hat. Everyone knows the hat is gas on a fire.

What gets me is that this went from “white boys harrass Native American” to “narrative was false and white boys are good Christians” really quickly. If you really look at all info it lies in the middle. There is a video of the same students yelling profanities at other people (various f bombs/gay slurs), which occurred before this incident. They’re kids, they do dumb things and don’t deserve death threats etc. But to say they were just minding their business while touring DC is ridiculous too.
    But they're teenagers who were approached by adults. Why aren't the adults held to a higher standard?