Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    The middle of this league is so meh...third place is certainly attainable. I think I was wrong about Seton Hall and St John's. I very much thought they were good teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    The middle of this league is so meh...third place is certainly attainable. I think I was wrong about Seton Hall and St John's. I very much thought they were good teams.
    Three way tie for third with Butler and...DePaul. Just as expected, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    St. John's has the talent, it's just that Mullen as a coach leaves a lot to be desired... Seton Hall I can't really figure out either, good wins over UK, Maryland, and Miami, but losing twice to DePaul? Wtf is going on with DePaul also, the Big East is really strange this year. I even though Creighton would be better after they came through and won the Thanksgiving tournament here in Cayman.

Sophomore
    it is all about belief. Depaul played us tough twice last years, as did St Johns. We needed a 4 pt play to beat Georgetown last year. Now you have Tucker on Butler, Femi A on Depaul, Herron on St Johns out of nowhere and there are no easy outs. Creighton will still surprise and I really don't think they have gotten over that Marquette game. We will have our hands full going forward and maybe that is how it should be. I think Villanova (still good but not the same) over the past 3 years skewed everyone's expectations as to how good good really is..I can't think of a team that had essentially 4 first round picks who were skilled, not just some combine/metric outlier. It will be interesting, every game, up to MSG and beyond. You will see good teams out Wednesday and even Thursday at MSG. Hopefully we will benefit

Freshman
    Villanova is able to get shots for their three point shooters because they have three to four good shooters on the court at all times. XU only has one or two (Welage and Scruggs) so the opponents are able to shade their defense on the perimeter to those two guys. They sag off of the remaining players on the perimeter and try to bait them (Goodin, Marshall) into shooting open three's. They need to develop a couple of more shooters but it doesn't look like Kennedy and Hardin looks completely lost in the last couple of games. His shot has multiple steps to it - kind of like the Jim Furyk of the basketball world.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

Quote Originally Posted by BandDad View Post
    Villanova is able to get shots for their three point shooters because they have three to four good shooters on the court at all times. XU only has one or two (Welage and Scruggs) so the opponents are able to shade their defense on the perimeter to those two guys. They sag off of the remaining players on the perimeter and try to bait them (Goodin, Marshall) into shooting open three's. They need to develop a couple of more shooters but it doesn't look like Kennedy and Hardin looks completely lost in the last couple of games. His shot has multiple steps to it - kind of like the Jim Furyk of the basketball world.
    When, if ever, will X have good-great shooters every year?

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    When, if ever, will X have good-great shooters every year?
    Probably never. We always seem to go after athletes, not shooters. We also seldom recruit high bball IQ guys. Whereas Nova and Butler have at least 2 and often 3 shooters, and they both usually get high IQ guys. It's the future of the game, and if we don't get with it, we're going to be left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Probably never. We always seem to go after athletes, not shooters. We also seldom recruit high bball IQ guys. Whereas Nova and Butler have at least 2 and often 3 shooters, and they both usually get high IQ guys. It's the future of the game, and if we don't get with it, we're going to be left behind.
    Did I dream that we won the Big East and had a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament last year?

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Blueiett, JP, Gates, Ridder, Harden. Here are five guys X has recruited as shooters that I can think of off the top of my head. Some have obviously been more successful than others but it's incorrect to say that X doesn't recruit shooters.

Add Welage this year. Redford and Myles if you want to take it back further.

On Nova's roster alone X recruited at least three of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Did I dream that we won the Big East and had a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament last year?
    Is it a coincidence that you had a dream on MLK Day?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens