Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    50 - 40 - 80 guy who has his size, wingspan, can dribble, drive, and plays exceptional defense?

Embrace every minute this guy plays for us guys. He may not be around for as much as we think.
    Run the table.

Supporting Member
    Yeah...scruggs is probably a one more year guy at most. He is a long 6'3 and could definitely make it on an nba roster if he continues on his upward trajectory.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by SemajParlor View Post
    50 - 40 - 80 guy who has his size, wingspan, can dribble, drive, and plays exceptional defense?

Embrace every minute this guy plays for us guys. He may not be around for as much as we think.
    Let's put the Scruggs Show in reality. He is becoming awesome, but didn't he recently have an 8 or 9 turnover game before his new found "greatness". I wonder if he might became Point Guard 1A & Goodin Point Guard 1B at some "point".

Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    Let's put the Scruggs Show in reality.
    Sounds good.
    Run the table.

Time to dust off this Scruggs thread and get some heavy use out of it.

UC ended his 9 game stretch of scoring in double digits, the longest streak of his career. Not all that impressive but to put it into perspective, JP’s career streak was 8.....but contrast that with Trevon’s 36 straight and it’s not a fair fight. Anyway, JP is great comparison to look at in regards to Paul. Their numbers are strikingly similar across the board. Like JP, Paul has suffered through some inconsistency from an offensive standpoint but getting max effort every game on defense, not a problem for either guy.

Here’s the thing, I think Scruggs is a lock to start another dub-digit scoring streak that extends well into conference play. His 3 ball is looking like a solid 35% and he’s so hard to stay in front of, then once he’s past you, he has more moves than ExLax in the paint. 10+ a game should be a no brainer considering his usage and skill set but there is one thing that’s definitely a hindrance........wait for it........HE DOESN’T GET TO THE FREE THROW LINE. The stat is shocking considering his playing style and elite physical makeup. His career game high for FTA is 9, which he has done only ONE time....and it just happened to be part of his career high 28 vs Nova. Not a coincidence. So far this year it’s even more remarkable. Only 12 attempts in 10 games? He’s made TEN OF THEM. Most likely our best weapon from the line and it’s buried deep in our toolbox. C’mon Travis, it’s a skill that is coachable, get him to draw more contact.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Time to dust off this Scruggs thread and get some heavy use out of it.

HE DOESN’T GET TO THE FREE THROW LINE. The stat is shocking considering his playing style and elite physical makeup. So far this year it’s even more remarkable. Only 12 attempts in 10 games? He’s made TEN OF THEM. Most likely our best weapon from the line and it’s buried deep in our toolbox. C’mon Travis, it’s a skill that is coachable, get him to draw more contact.

Agreed. Scruggs getting to the line more will be crucial this year. It very likely will allow X to win a game or three that they otherwise would not have.

There were easily more than a handful of games back when Trevon was playing, where X won because the best FT shooters (Tre, JP or Myles) were able to get to the line often. I could see Steel already saying something to him and the rest of the team like, "When you get to the foul line, you are increasing your shooting % by as much as 45%. Why would you not want to do that."

Paul deferred Saturday, just like every body else did, to Naji's awesomeness.

When a dude is on fire like Naj was Saturday, you just get out of the way & admire the greatness. Just like back in 1968 when basically everybody on Xavier just got out of Bob Quick's way when he scored 40 out of 72 of Xavier's points vs UC. They called it the "Cobra Offense" then. Saturday was Naji Nastiness.

Paul will have his games, and soon. Naj won't score 31 every game and they'll start helping out on him. Perfect for Paul to take advantage.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Agreed. Scruggs getting to the line more will be crucial this year. It very likely will allow X to win a game or three that they otherwise would not have.

There were easily more than a handful of games back when Trevon was playing, where X won because the best FT shooters (Tre, JP or Myles) were able to get to the line often. I could see Steel already saying something to him and the rest of the team like, "When you get to the foul line, you are increasing your shooting % by as much as 45%. Why would you not want to do that."
    I can't f...ing believe it!! I took some serious pushback on this subject (and a couple of nasty neg reps), but nice to have someone in solid agreement on such an obvious area of concern. Thanks IM4X, for giving me a tiny shred of legitimacy. I feel better now because I was called a "clown" from some whimpy X dude on HLOH for down playing BUTLER'S potential.....I thought ALL X FANS would consider that a given.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    I can't f...ing believe it!! I took some serious pushback on this subject (and a couple of nasty neg reps), but nice to have someone in solid agreement on such an obvious area of concern. Thanks IM4X, for giving me a tiny shred of legitimacy.
    Ha. That's what I'm here for... giving people tiny sheds of legitmacy.

I didn't see your other posts, but I do believe at some point Steele mentioned the need for his players to get to the line more.

I have to say, I am really impressed with Travis. I love how his demeanor and how he openly admits to issues that are negatively affecting the team... and what he plans to do about it. He never dismisses anyone or makes people feel small... like his old boss did (who often came across as a complete dick!)

I know he has a lot of work still to do, but between his attention to detail, his openness and his warm and approachable personality, he is quickly becoming my favorite X coach of all time. Note: check back with me at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Paul deferred Saturday, just like every body else did, to Naji's awesomeness.

When a dude is on fire like Naj was Saturday, you just get out of the way & admire the greatness.

This is a response I certainly can buy.

Naji was deep, deep in a zone. When that happens, teammates are wise to just assist the man while he puts on his show.