Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Uconn

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    This is where I am at. If BE decides to add one, go with UConn if they decide football is no longer an option. If we add two, go with SLU. No other programs make any sense in my opinion. UConn only helps the BE profile and the MSG tie-in from a basketball perspective, and SLU adds another Mid-western team with similar values and a decent sized tv market.

I don't see the need to split up into divisions if we add two teams. In football it kind of makes sense because there are only so many conference games and there is the conference championship game, but in this case I don't see the need. None of the Power 5 conferences do it in basketball.
    Each team would NOT play an 18-game Conference season. You'd play each of the other 5 teams in your own Division home and away (that's 10 games) and you'd play each team in the other Division once, 3 of them at home and 3 of them away (that's 6 games). That totals a 16-game Conference schedule for each of the 12 teams. That produces a total of 192 Conference games that would be potential TV fodder for Fox's many channels (FOX network, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, and all the Regional Fox channels).

However, if we limit the membership to 11, it will provide a LOT more opportunity for television coverage for Big East Conference games'. Each of the 11 teams could still play a round-robin Big East Conference schedule of 20 games (10 home and 10 away). That would provide us two big improvements in our Conference appeal: 1) we maintain the Round robin and, 2) we get to provide a lot more programming for the FOX brand (220 Conference games!!!). In the meantime, we'd have a balanced (and more fair) schedule for each of our Conference members than the 12-member plan.
    Last edited by muskienick; 01-16-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Supporting Member
    I think adding UConn in for all sports is a slam dunk if they're willing. Not sure why the Big East would care what they do with football, whether it be drop down a class, go indy or find a football only membership. I'm also against any more than 11 teams in the Big East to keep the round robin. I think it's more important for football conferences that have divisions to want an even number. It's a non-issue in basketball. Plus, I would never want divisions again (I believe the MAC is the only conference left that uses divisions in basketball).
    I'm of the opinion of UConn or no one.
    Problem is that while not Power 5, I think (and I'm just speculating) AAC money is better than any combo of Big East money plus something else for football.

Sophomore
    https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp...y7u-story.html

this should force UConn's hand one way or the other. IMO, their best option would be to drop football and rejoin the Big East. That could be a bitter pill to swallow, but they're genuinely looking at the collapse of their entire athletic department

Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    https://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp...y7u-story.html

this should force UConn's hand one way or the other. IMO, their best option would be to drop football and rejoin the Big East. That could be a bitter pill to swallow, but they're genuinely looking at the collapse of their entire athletic department
    Whoa!!:
    "Though the vast majority of Division I athletic departments operate at a loss, UConn’s deficit has become particularly extreme. A USA Today analysis of data from 2016-17 found that the school’s athletic department received the highest university subsidy (about $42 million) of any Division I public institution and that its allocation as a percentage of total reported revenue (just under 51 percent) was higher than that of any other public school in one of college sports' six biggest conferences."

The AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAC. Power Six in Money LOST
    Last edited by Masterofreality; 01-17-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Whoa!!:
    "Though the vast majority of Division I athletic departments operate at a loss, UConn’s deficit has become particularly extreme. A USA Today analysis of data from 2016-17 found that the school’s athletic department received the highest university subsidy (about $42 million) of any Division I public institution and that its allocation as a percentage of total reported revenue (just under 51 percent) was higher than that of any other public school in one of college sports' six biggest conferences."

The AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAC. Power Six in Money LOST
    In 2017, UConn students paid $1,784 each to help "fund" their athletic department. UC is not far behind with $1,238 per student.

http://www.newsrecord.org/news/soari...0bda06336.html

I hope X students are being dinged that way.
    UC would have been better to drop football and pick up MLS in their stadium. Might have made some money.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Paul,
    Honestly I think everyone in Cincinnati would prefer MLS at Nippert. The downtown stadium was forced by MLS and although I think it will work, Nippert would be more profitable for the club and the league.
    How sweet it is!

Quote Originally Posted by DART87 View Post
    Paul,
    Honestly I think everyone in Cincinnati would prefer MLS at Nippert. The downtown stadium was forced by MLS and although I think it will work, Nippert would be more profitable for the club and the league.
    How so? Sharing profits with UC? Do professional sports teams in general "share" their attendance revenue and profit with the leagues they are in? My understanding is that television rights are where a huge majority of the revenues come from.

Once that stadium gets built and they have a place of their own, Nippert will be long forgotten.

Junior
    TV revenue from soccer ? Ha, ha,

Yikes. I screwed up my post. I meant to say "I hope X students are 'not' being dinged" by student fees in the same way.

As for MLS, it might not have been as profitable at Nippert, but if they shared even $1 with UC, UC would be ahead of where they are now.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.