Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Uconn

I'm guessing that whatever football TV money they are getting from the likes of ESPN and CBS Sports from a conference stand point would go away. It's not like they can negotiate their own TV contract like Notre Dame. BYU has their own channel plus they are on ESPN every now and then. Also, I would think that scheduling would be problematic. Who is going to want to go to UConn to play a road game in October and November when they are in the middle of their own conference season? Plus any home game would probably be a "buy" game unless they are going to start doing home and home games with Appallacian State and the likes. Granted they'd be in a better contract w/ Fox from a basketball standpoint to offset the lack in TV money for football but going independent is basically a death wish for their football program. IDK... not sure there's a decent option for them if they want to keep that financial anchor around their neck.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by surfxu View Post
    I'm guessing that whatever football TV money they are getting from the likes of ESPN and CBS Sports from a conference stand point would go away. It's not like they can negotiate their own TV contract like Notre Dame. BYU has their own channel plus they are on ESPN every now and then. Also, I would think that scheduling would be problematic. Who is going to want to go to UConn to play a road game in October and November when they are in the middle of their own conference season? Plus any home game would probably be a "buy" game unless they are going to start doing home and home games with Appallacian State and the likes. Granted they'd be in a better contract w/ Fox from a basketball standpoint to offset the lack in TV money for football but going independent is basically a death wish for their football program. IDK... not sure there's a decent option for them if they want to keep that financial anchor around their neck.
    No bowl tie ins either which are done via conference.

The only solution I could maybe see is a hybrid situation like Temple did for a bit. They were in the A-10 for everything and the MAC in football. UConn could beg some lesser conference to take their football team and put all the other sports in the Big East. But I don't think the Big East would like that.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Would be awesome to have UConn but doubt it happens.
    I'm probably in the minority, but I don't want to see UConn or any other expansion. 18 game round robin is great. 20 game round robin robs everybody of 2 OOC games. If we ever expand, via TV pressure,etc...., I'd rather see 2 new similar minded schools (St Louis or UMass or Duquesne - all because of TV markets) which might cause 2 Divisions of 6 schools each . Mentioning Duquesne as the league can use a new whipping post & DePaul could get out of that category. Play each in Div twice, each out of Div once. 16 league games. Opens up 2 more OOC matchups. I ACTUALLY PREFER IT JUST THE WAY IT IS, BUT CHANGE MAY BE MEDIA DICTATED AT SOME POINT. Any "media employees" out there with a Media Dictates view.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    No bowl tie ins either which are done via conference.

The only solution I could maybe see is a hybrid situation like Temple did for a bit. They were in the A-10 for everything and the MAC in football. UConn could beg some lesser conference to take their football team and put all the other sports in the Big East. But I don't think the Big East would like that.
    Ahhh okay all this makes sense now, thanks guys, yeah I agree, I don't think the Big East would let them do that either, but a team with UCONN's pedigree wouldn't be a bad addition to the Big East, I wonder if the name holds enough weight in order to have the Big East to think about it, considering they're basically guaranteed a woman's national championship majority of the years with the addition too.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    UConn is a bad fit but UMass would be a good one? Do. Not. Want.

Saint Louis would be the best of the three that you mentioned, but they don't have nearly the upside that UConn does if they ever get their shit together.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xu koop scoop View Post
    I'm probably in the minority, but I don't want to see UConn or any other expansion. 18 game round robin is great. 20 game round robin robs everybody of 2 OOC games. If we ever expand, via TV pressure,etc...., I'd rather see 2 new similar minded schools (St Louis or UMass or Duquesne - all because of TV markets) which might cause 2 Divisions of 6 schools each . Mentioning Duquesne as the league can use a new whipping post & DePaul could get out of that category. Play each in Div twice, each out of Div once. 16 league games. Opens up 2 more OOC matchups. I ACTUALLY PREFER IT JUST THE WAY IT IS, BUT CHANGE MAY BE MEDIA DICTATED AT SOME POINT. Any "media employees" out there with a Media Dictates view.
    From what I have read, it seems like conferences either have started or are thinking about starting to go towards 20 conference games. So if that holds true there would be less opportunities for OOC opponents. I am good with how the Big East is now at the moment but I do believe there will come a time when it is the right time to expand and it will, whether that is adding one more team and doing 20 game round robin or adding more than one and going to divisions.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    Not that I would lose any sleep over it, but, the womens bball teams in the league would love getting beat 110-35, twice a season.

My understanding is that a positive for UConn is that they would be well represented at MSG and make the BE tournament even stronger.

The idea that there are schools out there that would love to get a BE invite indicates that the BE has done something right, and that it was a good decision on the part of the "Catholic 7" and the other 3 schools to bind together. I'm certainly not hearing of any schools standing in line to join the AAC, but instead am hearing that most of them would love to get scooped up by one of the Power 5 conferences. I do feel that of all of the schools mentioned, UConn is certainly the one with the highest profile. Even if there is the football problem, and the question about it being a state school v a private school, they still offer the most as far as a basketball program.

It does seem to me that most often when conferences expand they bring in at least 2 schools, and try to keep it an even number. From that standpoint, adding an eastern school and a midwestern school at the same time would seem to make sense. Dividing into 2 divisions of 6 schools each, and then playing 18 total conference games makes sense with that structure. UConn and St. Louis? Could be.
    /

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    The idea that there are schools out there that would love to get a BE invite indicates that the BE has done something right, and that it was a good decision on the part of the "Catholic 7" and the other 3 schools to bind together. I'm certainly not hearing of any schools standing in line to join the AAC, but instead am hearing that most of them would love to get scooped up by one of the Power 5 conferences. I do feel that of all of the schools mentioned, UConn is certainly the one with the highest profile. Even if there is the football problem, and the question about it being a state school v a private school, they still offer the most as far as a basketball program.

It does seem to me that most often when conferences expand they bring in at least 2 schools, and try to keep it an even number. From that standpoint, adding an eastern school and a midwestern school at the same time would seem to make sense. Dividing into 2 divisions of 6 schools each, and then playing 18 total conference games makes sense with that structure. UConn and St. Louis? Could be.
    /
    This is where I am at. If BE decides to add one, go with UConn if they decide football is no longer an option. If we add two, go with SLU. No other programs make any sense in my opinion. UConn only helps the BE profile and the MSG tie-in from a basketball perspective, and SLU adds another Mid-western team with similar values and a decent sized tv market.

I don't see the need to split up into divisions if we add two teams. In football it kind of makes sense because there are only so many conference games and there is the conference championship game, but in this case I don't see the need. None of the Power 5 conferences do it in basketball.