Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uconn

Uconn

Andy Mac said something interesting today in talking hoops. Of course I may be a bit behind on the news, but he said the there is an open invitation to the big east extended to U-Conn. the coaches and ADs have already agreed to a 20 game round robin season if U-Conn accepts.

That said Andy Mac himself said it was unlikely due to, in part, the recent investments UConn has made in football facilities as well as buying out the contracts of the football coaching staff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - David Bowers ('95)

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I can't imagine the Big East taking Uconn while they still have division 1 football. Uconn would bail if given the chance to go to a power 5 conference.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was an open invite given Uconn drops football to a lower division or FCS or whatever.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I think that is exactly the rub. And why Andy Mac cited walking away from their facilities and buying out coaching contracts.

The big east would demand they give up football to join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - David Bowers ('95)

Can’t imagine the American allowing them to remain just a football presence in that league, and I can’t imagine them finding another home for their football program, or going independent. But I also think that there would be a huge hit to their alumni athletic support if they dropped football. Why I don’t know because they really don’t have any history of sustained football success to be proud of. I can’t see them leaving the AAC any time soon.

But IF there is another round of conference expansion, and IF UConn doesn’t make it into the ACC at that time....who knows?
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-13-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Junior
    They have to be losing a fortune on football. Their crowds are strictly friends and family.

Would be awesome to have UConn but doubt it happens.

Andy Mac also said X would be going back to Maui in 2022/2023. He said it was a done deal. He was incorrect.

If the BE has extended an OPEN INVITATION to UCONN, then it has most likely done so on an unconditional basis. In other words, "if you can solve for your football program and still join us, then come on over when you're ready".

Would that be a bad way to go at this point? Actually, not at all. Why? Because the UCONN football program is so totally neutered that the BE leadership believes there is < 1% chance of UCONN ever landing in P5 money, whatever "P5 Money" will come to be after the next major media contracts reset.

UCONN's position in all this would almost be unimaginable were it not in fact reality. Over-investment in facilities. Historically poor location for collegiate football support. Located in a beautiful state, but one which has terrible financial pressures presently, and no to little prospects on the horizon for improving that problem any time soon. And then there are the annual operating deficits. Well, damn they're not good.

All of that is about the internal look - those things which UCONN could conceivably control. The external look for UCONN is worse, because it is all about who is perceived to be in front of them in the G5 pecking order. It's like being 20 planes deep for the runway at LaGuardia on a Friday evening. And all this presumes there will come a day where there will be room at the inn for a couple of G5 teams to move up. That is not a certainty. Nonetheless, were it to take place, Houston and UCF most likely are in the gold and silver positions, and there may not even be a bronze position (sorry Bearkittens).

UCONN for the BE is a no brainer. The same extraordinary financial pressures and burdens that cause UCONN to still make a football go of it should ultimately force UCONN to put up its white flag and join us.

In the meantime, we enjoy our membership in a highly successful BE and continue to reset our own table for the future under Travis Steele.
    X A V I E R

If there is an open invitation, it would not come from the AD's/coaches.
    Easy for them to agree to a round robin 20 game...the other big conferences are going to it, and Fox probably would like it for content.
    The real stumbling block I would think is the public/private situation. The presidents of the BE would have to be willing to waive the consequences of open record requests.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    If the BE has extended an OPEN INVITATION to UCONN, then it has most likely done so on an unconditional basis. In other words, "if you can solve for your football program and still join us, then come on over when you're ready".

Would that be a bad way to go at this point? Actually, not at all. Why? Because the UCONN football program is so totally neutered that the BE leadership believes there is < 1% chance of UCONN ever landing in P5 money, whatever "P5 Money" will come to be after the next major media contracts reset.

UCONN's position in all this would almost be unimaginable were it not in fact reality. Over-investment in facilities. Historically poor location for collegiate football support. Located in a beautiful state, but one which has terrible financial pressures presently, and no to little prospects on the horizon for improving that problem any time soon. And then there are the annual operating deficits. Well, damn they're not good.

All of that is about the internal look - those things which UCONN could conceivably control. The external look for UCONN is worse, because it is all about who is perceived to be in front of them in the G5 pecking order. It's like being 20 planes deep for the runway at LaGuardia on a Friday evening. And all this presumes there will come a day where there will be room at the inn for a couple of G5 teams to move up. That is not a certainty. Nonetheless, were it to take place, Houston and UCF most likely are in the gold and silver positions, and there may not even be a bronze position (sorry Bearkittens).

UCONN for the BE is a no brainer. The same extraordinary financial pressures and burdens that cause UCONN to still make a football go of it should ultimately force UCONN to put up its white flag and join us.

In the meantime, we enjoy our membership in a highly successful BE and continue to reset our own table for the future under Travis Steele.
    Just curious, why is going independent not an option for UCONN football wise if they wanted to keep their Division I - FBS status?