Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    I think it's hilarious that before this game the conventional wisdom from so called experts was that this team is what it is and that there were no tactical moves left for Trav to employ in the name of improvement.

Who would have ever thought putting 2 of your 4 best players on the floor together might not be a bad idea.

Heck of an adjustment if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    What the heck does castlin do to continue earning starting minutes? In games, he has given us nothing for a long time.
    He starts, but he doesn't always play "starter's minutes." For example, last night Castlin started and played only 11 minutes while non-starters, Harden and Wellage played 24 and 21 minutes respectively.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskies1235 View Post
    I think it's hilarious that before this game the conventional wisdom from so called experts was that this team is what it is and that there were no tactical moves left for Trav to employ in the name of improvement.

Who would have ever thought putting 2 of your 4 best players on the floor together might not be a bad idea.

I, for one, didn't think it was that great an idea but damn, it sure seemed to work. I don't know if that was an adjustment specific to G.T. as a way to neutralize their bigs or if it was more designed to change things up. Doesn't matter either way, I guess, but it really seemed to make a difference.

And, if you'd said to me, before the game, "we just have to find a way to get Tyrique to the free throw line more often", I admit I would have puked right then and there.

If this is a change to the lineup going forward, my question is what happens if Tyrique and Hankins get into foul trouble? Do we go small ball or is James capable of filling in? I haven't seen enough of James to have an opinion and I know little of his high school history.

Supporting Member

That, the 2-3 zone and the stop doing stupid shit i.e. forcing things and turning the ball over were the reasons we won. Hope q figures that last part out. Otherwise just sit his butt on the bench.

It was a good night at Cintas. I would love to see what this team can do if they continue to take care of the ball, attack the basket and win the ft and rebounding battles.

I also have a feeling last night was a much bigger win for Travis than he wants to admit. To do it with Q on the bench and down 17 has to give the players a ton of confidence in his ability to manage a game and lead them to victory.

Sunday will be huge because Butler is struggling too. It also may snow all day Saturday and Sunday morning, which could make things interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I, for one, didn't think it was that great an idea but damn, it sure seemed to work.
    Whether it would work or not wasn't really my point although like you said it did in a big way.

I just think it's funny when the so called experts throw their hands up and say "well, i mean Travis has tried everything not sure what else anyone expects him to try with this roster LOLZ" and then talk down to and make fun of fans calling for adjustments to be made.

Clearly the narrative that Travis had "emptied the clip" already so to speak with this roster was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by muskienick View Post
    He starts, but he doesn't always play "starter's minutes." For example, last night Castlin started and played only 11 minutes while non-starters, Harden and Wellage played 24 and 21 minutes respectively.
    On the flip side, some players are slow to get going when they start in a game, but are instant sparks coming off the bench. JP comes to mind. A great player no doubt , but sometimes he would be a little slow to get going when starting. Yet, often times when he came off the bench, he proved to be the instant spark the team desperately needed.

Villanova’s DiVincenzo proved it doesn’t matter if you start. It just matter how well you play when you get in the game. He came off the bench often during the season and still won the final four Most Outstanding player and became a first round pick.

From the Washington Post:

SERIES DOMINATION

In addition to their six straight wins over the Hoyas, the Musketeers have dominated the series 14-4.

I read that and immediately considered where these two programs stood the first time we beat them to make it to the S16. This may be a tough year when it is all said and done, but it still has been a remarkable journey over time, and we're still going to have fun on the way to accomplishing the final 2%.
    X A V I E R

Supporting Member
    Whether it would work or not wasn't really my point although like you said it did in a big way.

I just think it's funny when the so called experts throw their hands up and say "well, i mean Travis has tried everything not sure what else anyone expects him to try with this roster LOLZ" and then talk down to and make fun of fans calling for adjustments to be made.

Clearly the narrative that Travis had "emptied the clip" already so to speak with this roster was wrong.
    Slow your roll. Just because it worked one game against what is probably a 7-10 seed in the big east, doesnt mean it's going to work all season. A huge difference in the game had nothing to do with tactics...it was not forcing shots, and not turning the ball over.

Also, I dont believe anyone was making fun of fans calling for adjustments to be made...there is just disagreement whether it's a coach issue or a roster issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Slow your roll. Just because it worked one game against what is probably a 7-10 seed in the big east, doesnt mean it's going to work all season.
    I see reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

Literally the first line of the post you're responding to:

The point is that the so called experts that spent the last two weeks talking down to fans and telling them they were ridiculous for suggesting Travis make adjustments when there were none to make were dead ass wrong.

Whether it worked or not, playing the two bigs together is an adjustment that was available to Travis.