Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast
    Supporting Member
    The defensive lapses, the stupid turnovers resulting from forcing the ball into poor return situations, the silly in-game celebration (and for the record, I also hate that silly shoulder shaking, the jacked up threes by some of our poorest shooters, the outright quitting against tough opponents (like U.C.) and ignoring Steele when he's communicating from the bench. What is the common thread here? Lack of Discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
    Exactly! I originally mentioned the headbands, not as a physical issue with headbands but as a potential control issue.

One other thing...Steele in his previous role as recruiter would vist the kids and tell the everything they wanted to hear. How good they were, how they would fit in at X, how much playing time they would get etc. Selling the school and program so they come to X. As head coach, you often tell players what they are doing wrong; things to change, make free throws, play better defense, things they don't want to hear to play better and win games. It's a different role. Takes time to transition especially since Steele moved over one seat, like Miller and Mack.
    He sure looks like the same “tell them what they want to here” kind of coach during the post game press conferences.

Steele: I am proud of the effort my guys gave.

X Fan: Hm... He must be talking about that one stretch of two minutes in the first half and those 3 minutes towards the end just before the beat down.

Steele: They never gave up.

X Fan: Uh... was he watching the same game.

Steele: Our guys need to take better care of the ball.

X Fan: Oh... so he is talking about the same game.

Steele: We need to take better shots.

X Fan: Wait... IĀ’ve heard all this before. Maybe I clicked on an old press conference. Let me see here... nope... new one just with same old remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by username View Post
    I'm not sure where I stand on the headband issue, but I'm definitely against all the in-game celebration that takes place. This was an issue under Mack too. I'm pretty sure our BE tournament loss to Providence last year featured the Jones shoulder shimmy that's being played in the promos now. We took a huge lead that game and then started dancing around as the other team stayed focused and clawed their way back. We celebrate fairly minor stuff and then we hang our heads and curse at our shoes after missed shots etc. I don't recall ever seeing Villanova dwell on the most recent possession like that. They seem to focus on the current one.
    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I watch a ton of college basketball, and I have to admit, Xavier players seem to do more dancing, mean mugging, shoulder shaking, and screaming when they do something good than most teams.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    The defensive lapses, the stupid turnovers resulting from forcing the ball into poor return situations, the silly in-game celebration (and for the record, I also hate that silly shoulder shaking, the jacked up threes by some of our poorest shooters, the outright quitting against tough opponents (like U.C.) and ignoring Steele when he's communicating from the bench. What is the common thread here? Lack of Discipline.

How old are you guys? Heaven forbid these guys have fun playing an amature sport.
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Last edited by username; 02-27-2019 at 07:38 PM.

Supporting Member
    I'm old enough to understand that this behavior and way of thinking is detrimental to game strategy and hurts the team's prospect of winning games. It's a lot more fun to stay focused and win the game than it is to celebrate after a sweet dunk. In the moment, a young athlete wants to get distracted and celebrate, so a good coach has to tell them not to do that. Then they get to celebrate on the bus and when they get back to campus after their win.

This also isn't exactly a game of 21 at the Y. The players are playing to determine whether they get to go make millions in the NBA, make decent money doing something they enjoy overseas, or aren't able to market the one skill they've spent all their time working on. Xavier doesn't get sure-bet NBA prospects, so they often do have to play their way into wherever they end up. Having a coach who takes it seriously and doesn't think "oh it's an amateur sport, let then dance if they like to dance" will benefit them in the end.

The in-game celebrating distracts our team from the next possession, comes off as poor sportsmanship, and often seems only to motivate the other team. A lot of people seem to share this perspective. Do you have a rebuttal other than "how old are you?"
    Considering that the first and last paragraphs are pure speculation and opinion, someone asking "how old are you" is just as good of an argument.
    Last edited by Xville; 01-08-2019 at 11:04 AM.

Last edited by username; 02-27-2019 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Man, we need to do Xavier history lessons around here. :)

That was Matta's last season. 4 in 4 with Miller was in his second season, but there were no notably good teams in the A-10 that year and we played #3 seed Gonzaga close before losing as a #14 seed.
    You are totally right. Oops.

There is a lot of revisionist history on here. That said, I have never seen a new Xavier coach take over a team with less talent than this one. Steele had 7 guys, just 7 guys including two Freshmen and neither were sure-fire guys. That is really just five guys and the three he was able to grab with some experience weren't exactly the impact grad transfers. The Big East got Cremo and Morrow who are both a lot better.

I'm old enough to understand that this behavior and way of thinking is detrimental to game strategy and hurts the team's prospect of winning games. It's a lot more fun to stay focused and win the game than it is to celebrate after a sweet dunk. In the moment, a young athlete wants to get distracted and celebrate, so a good coach has to tell them not to do that. Then they get to celebrate on the bus and when they get back to campus after their win.

This also isn't exactly a game of 21 at the Y. The players are playing to determine whether they get to go make millions in the NBA, make decent money doing something they enjoy overseas, or aren't able to market the one skill they've spent all their time working on. Xavier doesn't get sure-bet NBA prospects, so they often do have to play their way into wherever they end up. Having a coach who takes it seriously and doesn't think "oh it's an amateur sport, let then dance if they like to dance" will benefit them in the end.

The in-game celebrating distracts our team from the next possession, comes off as poor sportsmanship, and often seems only to motivate the other team. A lot of people seem to share this perspective. Do you have a rebuttal other than "how old are you?"
    Let me guess, you hate when guys celebrate homeruns/important hits, touchdowns/turnovers/sacks as well?
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Freshman
    Who might have been at the UMass #1 Marcus Camby game our 1st year in A10. 1995. Our last losing season. We lost in OT to #1 UMass at the Gardens.
    I only bring this up because I don't remember much of any celebrations after dunks or other fancy shots or blocks. Our boys realized they had a chance to do something special & hunkered down on D for every possession. When we were an A10 Tourney #8 seed & blew out #1 undefeated St Joes in A10 Tourney it seemed all business to our players that day. We had to win that tourney just to get an NCAA bid. That business now, party later mentality got us to the
    Elite 8 that year. Celebrate after the victory. Let the other team know fantastic plays are to be expected from you, not celebrated. I realize these memories are from a long ago time, but the celebrations do indeed distract from in game concentration. A 3 second party after a basket can lead to an easy bucket the other way. This ain't a Barnum & Bailey Circus playing on the court. GET SOME PROFESSIONALISM & DISCIPLINE. If you want to go Pro, Act Pro.