View Poll Results: Should we have a Wall?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 56.41%
  • No

17 43.59%
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wall

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    You do realize that if the prospective employee provides a drivers license (given to illegals with impunity) and a social security card that matches the name, for I-9 purposes, an employer cannot question the validity of citizenship of the person? This is assuming the employer is having all new hires complete an I-9. How do you punish the employer for that? Now, if they’re not bothering with an I-9, lock them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They don’t use e-verify, they aren’t doing anything to confirm a social isn’t being used twice. By the way, an illegal if using a social # will be used twice or three times. This is not difficult for an employer to check. They don’t because they pay low wages and need those illegals to keep running.

This is a problem of easy job supply that is caused by employers who don’t care if they hire illegal or not.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    Even if you don’t think a wall will work which I’m not sure anyone genuinely believes it won’t be effective to some extent, it’s not really expensive at all. The opposition makes no sense to me
    $5 billion is not expensive? With attitudes like that no wonder we’re so far in debt. Also what is the opportunity cost for a wall that may only be effective “to some extent”? What could we do with that $ to more effectively address the problem?

Don’t get me wrong, I want to keep illegal immigrants out as much as Trump, but I’m not going to blindly support a wall without knowing it will work.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"

Sophomore
    5 billion is pennies man. If it prevents even a fraction of illegal immigrants it pays for itself 5x over every year

Sophomore
    Also I was being generous to the “walls don’t work” crowd. Personally I think it will be extremely effective and is essential to any serious border security. We have basically tried everything else and it doesn’t work

I want a wall on a Canadian border to keep all those hosers out!

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    They don’t use e-verify, they aren’t doing anything to confirm a social isn’t being used twice. By the way, an illegal if using a social # will be used twice or three times. This is not difficult for an employer to check. They don’t because they pay low wages and need those illegals to keep running.

This is a problem of easy job supply that is caused by employers who don’t care if they hire illegal or not.

Then pass a law requiring everyone use e-verify. It’s only required in certain circumstances today. Don’t blame the employer for following existing law.

Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

We've been told a million times that Mexico will pay for it. No argument here. Pretty simple. Where's the check?
    2023 Sweet 16

I loved The Wall by Pink Floyd.
    Pray the Rosary daily

Quote Originally Posted by bjf123 View Post
    Then pass a law requiring everyone use e-verify. It’s only required in certain circumstances today. Don’t blame the employer for following existing law.

100% blame lazy employers who want a stupid wall that is a solution searching for a problem it won’t fix and force the tax payer foot the bill. There has to a limit in greed and employers don’t know it. If you want them out that is the solution. Not a 5 billion dollar waste of money.

The reality nobody wants to talk about is a resident alien program that is much easier to use and would prevent a stream of illegals coming into the country. They would take advantage of legally entering.

I have lived here 20 years and have experience with this. The wall is a joke that people who 2000 miles from any border just don’t get the punchline.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoscox View Post
    5 billion is pennies man.
    You must be a Democrat... or a Republican.
    "...treat 'em with respect, or get out of the Gym!"